Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Forgive my ramblings....

Let's not be a bunch of Mustang Fanbois... My car is reliable in that it starts and runs fine but nowhere near the quality of my Honda. Let's see- 3 driveshafts, 2 pinion flanges (vibration still not fixed- 67 page thread on this issue alone), rattles in the dash and rear quarter panel, my AC still works but there is about 1 person a day with failed evaporators in the repair/recall forum- this will be a huge problem as cars get miles on them. Rear end makes a bad groaning noise when it is cold (Ford says it's normal). This is not a car to inspire confidence. CR bases their reliability rating on customer complaints. So in my case and my 8 trips to the dealer just on the driveshaft, I would give them a failing grade.
To your issues, I understand and you are right, but consider this: the Japanese realized a long time ago that the only way to ensure consistent quality was to standardize the product. So the Honda Accord comes in three or maybe four flavors, with only two different engines. Colors will vary but the list of options will be static. No individuality allowed, your EX will be exactly the same as the next guy's EX and so on. Also you may notice Honda is consistently lagging behind the rest of the industry in most new technology adoption. A year and sometimes two years is what goes by before the new features (like in BMW or Audi) will show up on the Accord features list. Oh! and no Honda is going to be at the top of the HP list in any category they compete in, that includes motorcycles and outboard engines.

When the Japanese first started shipping cars to America they realized fixing problems after sales would be extremely expensive and that was the reason for the standardization. They did everything they could to make the assembly foolproof and they insisted on 100% functioning components from their suppliers.
The cars ran like little watches and lasted a long time but when they finally failed there was no repairing them. Today they assemble the cars here but the quality for their parts and assemblies is still required to be 100% from suppliers and our aftermarket is making parts for rebuilding and repairing them in later years.

I'm reminded of a story from years ago: An electronics company here in the US contracted with a semiconductor company in Japan for components, in their contract they demanded 99% quality in each batch of parts received. After a few batches of the components received tested out at exactly 99% functional the US company sent some engineers to Japan to find out how the company could be that exact. What they found was the Japanese company had one employee whose job it was to take one item out of their defectives pile and pack it in with every 99 good ones to be shipped.

They were giving the American company what they thought it wanted, no matter that their internal objective was 100%. They shipped 99% working as required.
It's a cultural difference, we have union employees building things.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue Mustang GTPP Premium
I stopped reading CR years ago when they stated BMW was reliable. I've owned 3 335 and every single one had an issue. I've owned 3 GT's and not one problem.

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They should've done a separate polling for 2015 and 2016. 2015 had a lot more engines go boom. 2016 was pretty solid.
You should clarify if you're only talking about Eco boost motors or not.

The only failures of 5.0 motors has been with high HP forced induction GT's and even that hasn't been many. Year doesn't matter as they are identical.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT

The only failures of 5.0 motors has been with high HP forced induction GT's and even that hasn't been many. Year doesn't matter as they are identical.
The biggest failure in the 5.0 was bad tunes, #8 piston killer.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

The CR rating has absolutely nothing to do with modified EB engines that went tits up. The rating is based on items shared between all the models like gear box, drive line vibration,, sync, etc. Didn't Ford stop selling the GT350 because of fire issues? The EB was never recalled or halted.

Last edited:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It is "PREDICTED" reliability at that, a guess. I mean :rolleyes:

So basically per CR no sports car under $50k is acceptable to them. A Corvette or German. Again :rolleyes:

Notice how the Camaro got a red down and Mustang green up and then mustang yellow (average?) and Camaro green up. That evens out. Everything else was even except that PREDICTED reliability. Yet the Camaro was somehow rated 14/100 points higher than the mustang. Can you say bias?

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Never liked their opinions anyways. Bunch of yuppies

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Consumer Reports - gack. I don't believe their statements. The conduct the most unscientific "tests" and then claim objectivity. They are untrustworthy.

What took the prize for me was their coffee review. Completely subjective. Now I admit, I'm a coffee snob - a dedicated coffee roaster. No commercially roasted beans for me, or (gasp) "Charbucks." Reading their review of coffee had me rolling on the floor.

Sponsored

pb29590

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premiun PP
Forget about CR. You know more about your car than they ever will. With that being said…

You may disagree with the opinion of Consumer Reports. However, you have to admit that there are a multitude of different issues with our cars that have yet to be resolved. Most of them could have and should have been worked out prior to the cars leaving the factory. If you spend a couple of hours going through the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" section of this forum you will find a multitude of different Mustang issues as most of you are aware of. MY major beef is the wheel hop and this was my major motivation for writing the post.

1. Driveshaft vibration from 50 to 70 miles an hour is completely unacceptable, and as we have learned can be dangerous. This is not limited to a FMY issue either. On this site- 79% of owners who responded to that poll had some driveline vibration issues.
2. Misaligned body panels
3. Air conditioning evaporator defect
4. We ranted and raved about having an independent IRS for the S550. Fu***** yay. Meanwhile the wheel hop on this car is completely ridiculous. It's akin to a grown adult having a grand mal seizure every time I try to launch. I just came out of a 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE so perhaps I am a little bit jaded, but not being able to hook up off the line on a car that is meant for performance is utterly absurd. The "Stop the Hop" packages from both BMR and Steeda should have been stock from the factory- especially for the performance package. And to be told that the cradle lockout kit "might not solve the wheel hop" is discouraging to say the least. I cannot even imagine driving a 550 without the performance package ( with all due respect).
5. Factory paint defects. Again, I have never heard of this with any other car that has been manufactured on such a large scale basis as this car.
6. This is my 27th car in my life and I have had my fair share of problems throughout the years. I just did not expect to have this many problems with a nearly brand new car. You also have to admit that the resale really does suck. The sticker on my car was 42,000 and I paid 28,000 for it with 8000 miles on it. I can't complain about that and overall I think it is a great car. This is my sixth mustang- I had a 90, 91, 92, 96 and 2012. I will likely find myself in another Mustang in the future, however, I will be doing a little bit more research next time. On the brighter side I have a much grater understanding of the Lemon Law and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Let the bashing begin.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"- Evelyn Beatrice Haall

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
There is no doubt that Ford can do a much better job regarding the quality, fit and finish of the Mustang. I have had body alignment issues, small paint imperfections, squealing brakes (PP) TSB, Under car heat shield, door latch recall (Open), and now there is an electrical issue where the gauge lights will delay in lighting and the back up beep changes to a different sounding beep. This greatly exceeds any new or certified car I have owned.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Worthless, worthless. What a load of crap. My 2015 has been nothing but awesome in every way.

While each generation is different I see an absolute ton of Fox body Mustangs around still. That's got to say something about their longevity.

Plus, user reviews on KBB are 9.2/10

https://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/20...pe=private-party&persistedcondition=excellent
There you go. Real world. Thing is, if you have an overwhelming favorable review, that speaks volumes because many times people only get on and write when they have a complaint. When I was shopping for a small SUV I looked at the Honda Element, but the Jeep Cherokee seemed like a lot of vehicle for the money. That is, until I read review after review of all the troubles people were having. The Honda people had nothing but good things to say about their Element. 130k later with the Honda, not one issue.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I lurked on this forum for probably 6 months before I bought my '17 GT PP. Can honestly say that the body panel alignment is fantastic (as opposed to my '14 focus, which was terrible.) Absolutely no vibrations on the highway. No problem with the rear passenger window trim. I'd like to think Ford has addressed a lot of the problems. Wheel hop - I haven't really done a good launch yet, but I've felt a bit of it. You've got to figure they've had epic battles fighting over compliance vs performance. It's a huge tradeoff, and their decision to lean toward a smoother ride is reflected in the class-leading sales. 98% of Mustang purchasers probably get 35-40k miles out of the factory tires, if you catch my drift. :cool:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I wouldn't trust CR for any car review. They pass or fail a car based on their infotainment systems alone.
Wow. Is this publication the real deal or are they financed by companies who pay them for better reviews? ...
I don't trust CR for any reviews, but most of all car reviews...
I used to sub to CR but stopped after it became obvious that many of their reviews were just pulled right out of their a$$. ...
OK. I have to vent about this.

I realize that these days, we're allowed to "select our own facts" and believe whatever we want... but in the end, what the hell is the point?
You might as well shut off your Wifi or unplug your router if you can't handle information that disagrees with your worldview.

IMO, it's perfectly ok to look at their criteria and find that they don't matter to us...but to say that the whole publication (one of the most respected in the industry whether you like it or not), is worthless is just a bad idea.
These reviews DO matter. If nothing else, it affects resale value. You might be able to sleep better by calling it a conspiracy but you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment.

People complain about their weighting of the infotainment failures...but guess what? Nobody wants to drop $40,000 on a car, a measurable percent of which paid for the electronics, with a broken or useless system staring themselves in the face...So you don't care and you don't want to fix it? Well, you'd better plan on keeping your car forever because you'll pay for it with the resale/trade-in hit.

Personally, my criteria for a car is to get the best driving, quickest, most satisfying machine for the dollar...and at this point, the 2018 Mustang GT looks like it's going to be unbeatable. None of what I read in this article would push me away from a Mustang but I'd be stupid if I didn't factor this into what I finance with my hard earned future dollars. This matters.

This whole thing reminds me of the endless Camaro discussions...there's always a reason why the reviews are wrong or stupid. :frusty:
Sponsored