Sponsored

Winter tire opinions - What do you use?

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/PP
Hey guys,

So I have to start considering a winter tire setup seeing as I live in Pennsylvania and it won't be long before it starts getting cold outside - and it's hard to say when the snow will start coming down. :doh:
I see the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 get some pretty good ratings, but they are pretty pricey!

Which winter tire setup do you guys use and why?
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I used Contin DWSs for 4 years. I think they did pretty good, IMO. Never drove in more than 2 inches of snow, but it was good as I think could be expected.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Blizzaks are usually the king as well as Nokia Hakkas and Dunlop Wintersports

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
In my last car (Pontiac Sunfire GT), I used Hankook Winter I-Pike tires with studs (legal here in Oregon, and most of our surrounding states). Fantastic winter traction. Can't vouch for how they work studless...but you kind of need studs in Oregon, because snow is generally accompanied by ice. The only problem I had with them is that they weren't speed rated (at all!), so they were restricted to 85 Mph. Of course, if you drive more than about 65-70 with studs, you're an idiot anyways, and you're asking for the tires to start throwing studs and go out of balance because of that.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Have also had good experiences with Nokian Nordsman studded tires on the wife's SUV (and we usually take that one up into the mountains for winter recreation!). I've never heard anything negative about Nokian snow tires, after all, they're a Finnish company!

Sponsored

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
I used Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT this past winter. Got them dirt cheap. They offered surprisingly good grip when it was well below freezing and dry. In the snow/ice, I never once had a problem starting, stopping, or turning. Drove on them in 6" of snow, sheet ice and the glorious combination of ice and slush without issue.

No idea how they rank against other winter tires, but they worked for me.

Overall impression: Cheap and effective tire for the purpose. Would buy again.

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
I picked up a set of lightly used Michelin X-Ice on Craigslist, I can't wait to throw them on this winter.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
When I lived in NY I used firestone winterforce, amazing tire for the price and they can be studded if it's legal in your area. Never used them studded but the performed flawless.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Michelin x-ice 3's work great.

nolan9832

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
I was looking at the Michelin's as well, anyone have any experience with them ?

Sponsored

bken1313

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP Black
I have an opportunity to pick up Pirelli P-Zero Nero All seasons at a very low price. Are the these tires a winter death sentence? The Tire-Rack reviews were mixed and not very helpful.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I have an opportunity to pick up Pirelli P-Zero Nero All seasons at a very low price. Are the these tires a winter death sentence? The Tire-Rack reviews were mixed and not very helpful.
All season tires are jacks of all trades, masters of none...they might get you home safely if a snow flurry breaks out while you're at work, but I wouldn't trust them if you're depending on getting to work and home with them. Snow tires are the way to go if you absolutely know you have to drive in the stuff. If gives you that extra safety margin.

gtlaw

JcRoush hater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
GTPP already has lenient traction control and no snow mode. I bought michelin pilot alpin pa3 and am still concerned I might have problems
Sponsored