Winter Tire for Stock GT 20x9 Wheels?

WesleyT96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wesley
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
Any suggestions? Got to be thread started somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks for any info. Might be moving to Denver.
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Funny to talk about snow tires in late April, BUT I'm pretty sure it did snow in Denver yesterday.:shocked:

If you want to put snow tires on the stock wheels, I'd recommend size 245/35/20 or 255/35/20. Those sizes have a few winter tires avail on tirerack. But they are spendy! ~300+ per tire.

Another thought: If you don't have brembo brakes, I'd look at getting a cheap set of 18" wheels and find some much cheaper 18" winter tires. Then just swap them during the season change. Should work out to the same price if not cheaper than a set of 20" winter tires, and you won't ruin your factory 20's. Just an idea. ;)

OP
OP

WesleyT96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wesley
Vehicle(s)
Funny to talk about snow tires in late April, BUT I'm pretty sure it did snow in Denver yesterday.:shocked:

If you want to put snow tires on the stock wheels, I'd recommend size 245/35/20 or 255/35/20. Those sizes have a few winter tires avail on tirerack. But they are spendy! ~300+ per tire.

Another thought: If you don't have brembo brakes, I'd look at getting a cheap set of 18" wheels and find some much cheaper 18" winter tires. Then just swap them during the season change. Should work out to the same price if not cheaper than a set of 20" winter tires, and you won't ruin your factory 20's. Just an idea. ;)
Thanks. Was looking for feedback from someone who actually has done it. Maybe buy new wheels and tires for non winter. Are 245/40 out of question? Same height as 275/35.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I bought rims from Tirerack and bliztaks mounted and balanced. I used them for the past two winters. My normal summer rims are 19", the winter rims are 18". No issues. If I was moving to,Denver, I would use The same wheels and tires. I'd also buy 10 year old all wheel drive something! To leave the stang home on those 20" days.

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Always go as narrow as you can with the winter tires. l have used General Alitimax winter tires and they work great, no need to spend big bucks on big name tires like Blizzaks and such if you don't have to.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
What I did was with a Tire Rack package deal. I chose the cheapest 19x9" wheel that fit the GT/PP brakes, had them mounted with Mich Xi3 tires 245/40/19 (I think). Granted the Kansas City winter was rather mild for snow fall and when we did get snow it was <3" at any time. I had 0, ZERO, problems getting around. Stop, start, uphill, downhill, driving sensibly and starting in 2d gear with all traction control "on".
I was very happy with that setup. Consider if you're swapping tires on/off wheels twice a year the costs are going to add up on you over time. I just jack mine and swap the whole set in the driveway, hour tops.

Jwoair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
What I did was with a Tire Rack package deal. I chose the cheapest 19x9" wheel that fit the GT/PP brakes, had them mounted with Mich Xi3 tires 245/40/19 (I think). Granted the Kansas City winter was rather mild for snow fall and when we did get snow it was <3" at any time. I had 0, ZERO, problems getting around. Stop, start, uphill, downhill, driving sensibly and starting in 2d gear with all traction control "on".
I was very happy with that setup. Consider if you're swapping tires on/off wheels twice a year the costs are going to add up on you over time. I just jack mine and swap the whole set in the driveway, hour tops.
What did this setup run you if you don't mind me asking? I am planning on doing something similar next winter.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Was looking for feedback from someone who actually has done it. Maybe buy new wheels and tires for non winter. Are 245/40 out of question? Same height as 275/35.
Sorry, I was just trying to save you some money. I have never put winter tires on a my mustang, but only speaking from experience with other older cars. (Audi S4, Taurus SHO, etc).

245/40/20 should work great on your factory wheels. Winter tires in that size are still pretty expensive, but I guess that's no problem :cheers:

Good luck.

OP
OP

WesleyT96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wesley
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I was just trying to save you some money. I have never put winter tires on a my mustang, but only speaking from experience with other older cars. (Audi S4, Taurus SHO, etc).

245/40/20 should work great on your factory wheels. Winter tires in that size are still pretty expensive, but I guess that's no problem :cheers:

Good luck.
Thanks I appreciate your time. I still don't know what I will do but have time.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
What did this setup run you if you don't mind me asking? I am planning on doing something similar next winter.
1700 4 wheels/4 tires/mounted/balanced/shipped/centering rings/lugs...total delivered ready to bolt on.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1700 4 wheels/4 tires/mounted/balanced/shipped/centering rings/lugs...total delivered ready to bolt on.

That's a good price for 19's. Some of the 18" combos I was looking at were running about $1000-1200 for wheels/tires/tpms shipped (you'd have to have a local shop mount/balance them). But like you said, winter is a LONG way away... Always check Craigslist too, see if someone has some used ones for a good price.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It was worth, ~some, extra coin to have them delivered ready to bolt on which I can handle no problem.
Sponsored