Winter Beater

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wouldn’t pay $9k for an 04 Grand Cherokee unless it was incredibly low mileage and optioned out.

The 06 may be the better deal but again, be careful with the 4.7. They are a hit and miss engine and don’t tend to age well. Not trying to say you’re going to get a busted one, but they tend to be leaky and are known to have weak valve stem seals (burning oil) and headgaskets are their strong suit. Make sure it’s not smoking out of the exhaust and check the coolant color and quality (make sure it’s not oily, murky etc). The 08+ 4.7 got a major overhaul and is the best version, if you can find one. The 06 will have 235hp and the 08+ has 300.
The 4.7 also loves to drop valves/seats from what I've heard, lol.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The 4.7 also loves to drop valves/seats from what I've heard, lol.
Yes, that is also a “trait” they have lol.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I had heard some people have had issues with the 4.7, but I was thinking with relatively low miles it might be ok. But the more I think about it over 8k is a couple grand above the blue book value even if its in really good condition. The other one close by looks to be about 3k overpriced also. I just noticed an 01 Laredo with the 4L and 159k miles that looks pretty good too and they are asking 5k which is more reasonable, but then again since its older with higher mileage the blue book price is around 4k tops. I guess that is not too bad though as I know they have to make some money. That one is in the Chicago area too though so not really a realistic distance to travel so would have to look into an online purchase for that one as well. IDK, I'm hesitant as the last two I looked at looked pretty good in pics and description, but were in much worse condition when I saw them in person.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know probably not a good idea, but an 08 GC just popped up about 10 miles away with the 4.7L and she says it does burn some oil and was told it possibly need some type of new seals. Its kind of high miles too with 221k, but the body and interior is in good condition. She was asking 5k, but already said she is open to offers.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know probably not a good idea, but an 08 GC just popped up about 10 miles away with the 4.7L and she says it does burn some oil and was told it possibly need some type of new seals. Its kind of high miles too with 221k, but the body and interior is in good condition. She was asking 5k, but already said she is open to offers.
Likely valve stems seals. A shop will charge a pretty penny to do it. It can be a DIY job if you’re mechanically inclined and have an air compressor but it is not an easy job by ANY means.

I’d not opt for a high mileage one… seriously.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understood. I didn't want a high mileage one either. I was only considering that one because it's 10 minutes away. I keep adding more to the FB marketplace, but realistically, since the majority are about 2 hours away I don't know how I'm going to get any of them them home without making a couple trips. I think I better concentrate on one from a dealership that is willing to deliver unless one pops up nearby, but unlikely since I'm very picky and want a nice one for the price if possible.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost gave up looking for now and a bunch more just popped up. What do you guys think is too many miles? There is a rust free 01 GC 4L in good shape with 200k miles for 3k. Only issue looks to be cracks in the leather drivers seat.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The 4.0s are generally good to well over 200K, but it all depends on how it was maintained, naturally.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah wish it had lower miles. I just found a green 01 classic with only 137k miles for 4.8k. Looks to be in good condition except rear bumper has a couple dents and a little surface rust on the body (no holes). Not sure how big a deal replacing the bumper and the side plastic pieces which are faded would be? It's a few hours away too of course.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Either one of those might be a decent deal. Sounds like the WJ is in better shape, but I would consider the XJ at that price. Just check VERY carefully for rust underneath. The roof rack area is prone to rust too. If you get it, plan to address it ASAP.

I’d maybe get the WJ and call it a day.

Do you have links to either one?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may have found a better one. Another 01 XJ with 170k miles in black. Only one small rust area, interior very good, many new parts including radiator, power steering pump, intake, all gaskets and fluids, ect. It has a 3" rough contry lift on 33's, female owner, asking 5k. I'll try to post links later if I can figure it out on my new phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm kind of torn between the 3 of them. The green XJ would probably look the best after I replaced the rear bumper (and has the fewest miles), but the black XJ need less work and has the 3" lift and some new parts. Although the 01 WJ would most likely be the most comfortable, but has the higher mileage. They are all around 2 hours away and made tentative plans to look at them all tomorrow, but realistically should pick one to look at. I really didn't want to take 2 trips and was thinking of getting the loan proceeds first if possible, but IDK maybe I should look at them first and then go back with someone later in the week if I really like one and they don't sell it by then. But if I were to go with the cheaper WJ I might have enough to pay cash if I get my taxes filed soon and use my savings. But then again think I would rather have some cushion in the bank for emergencies and such and pay a reasonable monthly payment for a few years. Another thought is to get a really nice one from a place like classic.com for a little more like the 10-15k range. They have longer classic loan terms which may be a thought. I know you would pay more in interest, but these look to be going up in value lately and collector cars have been appreciating 14% per year.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
If they were still around, I would have gotten another Bronco. Best plowing vehicle I have ever owned and hard to beat in the snow or off road. Yeah, I am biased but it is what it is. Find one and enjoy.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about a Bronco too, but very hard to find one that isn't rusted out and kind of pricey.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IDK guys. I'm not sure I really need a 2nd vehicle. It would be nice, but at this point since I really only wanted one mostly for winter driving when bad out I may be ok this season as it hasn't been bad and getting warmer out now. Plus it would be an added expense and take up room and more time and money with insurance and maint ect. I mean I could afford it, but still could use the money on other things atm. I need a new computer really bad and could use some better furniture as I only have a hand me down couch and no good chairs. I also seem to never have enough cash to comfortably take a vacation in the summer. I do hate driving the 1320 all year though and put all those miles on it and wear and tear. But then again I've only put 15k miles on it since I bought it a year and a half ago.
Sponsored