Sponsored

Windshield does OEM matter?

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hello. I have a crack forming in my windshield and want to get it fixed. Is there any difference between an OEM windoshield or some off brand?

Thanks for advice and help
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Aftermarket glass tends to be not as thick and they don't have to meet OEM standards. You'll also lose any pony logo you might have on a mustang with aftermarket. Other complaints are that often aftermarket glass can be wavy, tint can be different shade, but not always.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Thanks for the advice. I'll just bite the bullet and get the OEM one. It's not like it's drastically more expensive.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Just had mine replaced with Safelite aftermarket windshield, looks great, no difference in sound, no Ford logo but saved nearly 100 bucks. The windshield is solar glass and acoustic. Made by Fuyoa in the US.

I also saved another 35 bucks by going to a Safelite shop. It took 1.5 hours. Total cost was about 385.

The OEM windshield sucks ass, it cracked with a tiny rock chip.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I recently had my window replaced. Car is 6 months old and has the Safe and Smart with all the windshield sensors so I made sure I got an OEM windshield. Just be glad you’re not having your windshield replaced over here. Total cost was 2300€ which is nearly $2600.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Dang that's crazy $$$!!!!

Has anyone tried the windshield repair kits for small stone chips? If so, do they do okay?

bloodocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Dang that's crazy $$$!!!!

Has anyone tried the windshield repair kits for small stone chips? If so, do they do okay?
I tried to repair mine with the kit and when I pushed the adhesive sticky thing down, the crack shot clear across the windshield. FML.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I tried to repair mine with the kit and when I pushed the adhesive sticky thing down, the crack shot clear across the windshield. FML.
Dang :( that's brutal!

Yours was a hairline crack though and not a stone chip correct?

Sponsored

bloodocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Dang :( that's brutal!

Yours was a hairline crack though and not a stone chip correct?
It was a stone chip that had just started to sprout some cracks.

Pushing down on the adhesive was a $600 lesson in how not to use the repair kit.

Reactions: Ebm

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I had a very small rock chip about the size of a pin head that created a crack clear across the windshield while I was driving. I didn't even hear the rock hit the windshield and the crack appeared right before my eyes. The rock chip was at the very top of the windshield and wasn't even visible from the inside.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It was a stone chip that had just started to sprout some cracks.

Pushing down on the adhesive was a $600 lesson in how not to use the repair kit.
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do. How long did you let it go from time of incident to time you tried to repair it using the kit?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do. How long did you let it go from time of incident to time you tried to repair it using the kit?
Some auto insurance policies will fix chips for free. Run it by a glass shop to see if it's repairable.

bloodocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
About a week after a big hit from a rock, I noticed cracks starting. The damage was very small, about the size of a nickel. Then I ruined it!
Sponsored