wind tunnels test

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Does Ford do any wind drag on g6 yet?, with the nose diving front end g6 should have better wind drag number than the current model.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Doing a quick search, the '10-12 S197 had a CD of 0.37.

Compare that to the Nissan GTR and Mercedes S-400 Hybrid at 0.26.

Mriley

attachment.jpg

They sure did.

Of course we wont' know the drag coefficient of the car anytime soon but aerodynamics was a big emphasis with the S550, from everything we've heard. It's not just the diving front end but the much larger and more open grille. Tho I believe air passing over the car would improve CD more than passing through it. For that, we have a more raked roof and fastback profile which I'm sure has helped. Although I'm no expert on this stuff. I know it's been discussed here by some members who are way more knowledgeable than me on the subject but I would think it has been greatly improved given all those design changes.

yanks1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT/Calif Special Vert
Of course they did! That's std operational procedure for any vehicle before final body & stance is approved these days. How far auto design has come last few decades, amazing

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i

And my 370Z at .29. Hopefully Ford can close the gap. The new car does look slick!

Sponsored

OP
OP

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer

With the overall of S550 lower than S197 and diving nose, can't wait to the report of CD numbers.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I was hoping for some good numbers, but then one of the design guys said they wanted the mustang's front to look like a fist punching through glass. Fists don't look all that aerodynamic lol.

OP
OP

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
I was hoping for some good numbers, but then one of the design guys said they wanted the mustang's front to look like a fist punching through glass. Fists don't look all that aerodynamic lol.
Maybe he was referring to one of the movie that Mustang GT flying into the glass building lol!

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
[ame]

mc lane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP AT, '05 Chrysler 300 C, '18 Navara Twin Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
pretty disappointing
Ford gave us a lot of Videos about the testing and a lot of interviews with execs talking all the work they invested, what they had done and how proud they are. period.
No numbers, just plain talk.
serveral times in different Forums there were request to publish the numbers, which should not be a Problem if the gains (by all that fine-tuning in the windtunnel) were really there...
i have not found anything anywhere so far
nothing on the drag coefficient, nothing about downforce front and rear (hopefully no upforce!)
the only Thing coming to my mind:
the same execs telling about the aerodynamic gains without giving any Information told us in the beginning about those great heat extractors on the Hood of the v8. Funny Thing: the only market in the world where you can go 120mph or more for dozens of miles (i.e. german Autobahn) does NOT get those extractors and at the same time another exec responsible for the development for the euro-spec car tells us at the german premiere of the car, that they enhanced the cooling system to make sure the car can take those extra-high Speed-Levels common on german autobahns
the car without the heat extractors has the better cooling than the one with
crazy shit, isn't it?
i wonder if they are ever gonna give us those aero-stuff numbers

but anyway: i am sure we will soon have People here deactivatic the electronic Speed limiter. by the drag limited top Speed we will get a first Impression of the real aerodynamic Qualities of the car!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Fuel economy at cruise gives an indication of drag. I don't think it's changed much.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I found this

In all, Ford reports that, along with a lower drag coefficient, the overall drag force of the new Mustang has been reduced by 3 percent, resulting in better roadholding and less wind noise in the cabin. According to the company, at highway speeds, three percent less drag will return about one percent better fuel efficiency.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

mc lane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP AT, '05 Chrysler 300 C, '18 Navara Twin Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!

I found this:
"The all-new 2015 Ford Mustang underwent twice the aerodynamic development of the
previous model to ensure that it would be aerodynamically effi cient and stay planted on
the road at high speeds while preserving its distinctive shape. Mustang is the fi rst Ford​
vehicle to incorporate wheel aero curtains to reduce drag."

i still wonder: why all that talk?
let the numbers do the talk.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The testing was done at the Research Institute of Automotive Engineering and Vehicle Engines Stuttgart (FKFS) in Stuttgart, Germany.
Sponsored