Will we ever see an Automatic GT500?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Here's where it gets tricky. I think the gt500 will be a strip based car. More for straight line ripping and doing that extremely well. I think the gt350r gets it done NA with the double clutch and upping the HP another 50. I'm sure Ford knew what the ZL1 was capable of and has already made its next move.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think the gt500 will be a strip based car.
I'm not so sure. Will it be more strip capable than the GT350? Yep. But I'm expecting a car that can do both. The ZL1 has shown it can hustle on the N/Ring, I'm sure the GT500 be able to do similar :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It'll have to be able to do both, just like the ZL1 had to.

But like the ZL1 vs the 1LE and Z/28, it'll still understeer a little more and respond a little slower than the GT350/GT350R. Expect the handling to have a 'heavier' or 'more deliberate' feel about it even if it somehow manages to match the maximum lat-g number of the GT350.

Norm

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
With the competition being what it is people aren't going to pay up 70k plus for a one trick pony. I have no doubt it will haul ass as well as handle. They didn't do all the work on the 350 not to pass it on to its big brother!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Transfer over, sure. But with more weight up high and up front and most likely a larger amount of tire stagger it won't be quite the same. It'll still be skewed at least a little toward straight line acceleration where the GT350 that might have provided inspiration will still be more cornering-oriented.

Norm

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm not so sure. Will it be more strip capable than the GT350? Yep. But I'm expecting a car that can do both. The ZL1 has shown it can hustle on the N/Ring, I'm sure the GT500 be able to do similar :)
The last gen gt500 was capable of both. I realize that, and i would assume that the s550 would be similar. Im just saying that 800 hp is high for a track car... well.. we can always make it work.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
After seeing what the ZL1 with the 10 speed did on the Ring, Ford would be stupid IMO to not offer an auto in the GT500

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think we will see an automatic in the top high performance Mustang. However, I don't think there will be another coming of the GT500.

Sponsored

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
There are plenty of manual GT500's if you want one, the auto GT500 would be a game changer. I am saving up for the next gen GT500 but will only switch if they offer an auto.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Got to have a fast shifting auto to compete these days! Look at an auto vs manual Hellcat.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I don't want a 1 trick pony (Hellcat). I hope it blows the doors off a GT350 on the strip and at the track, even if it's only for a few laps - like the Porsche Turbo & GT2 are capable of quicker lap times than the more pure Porsche GT3 track-focused car.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an auto or DCT car in a halo Mustang since eventually manual transmissions will become obsolete and only in demand by a small group of purists, since DCT & Autos are more comfortable, less of a hassle, and quicker than a standard manual.
Sponsored