Sponsored

Why is oil level such a PITA to determine?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
[...]how does the oil stay in when the folks down under are upside down? [...] :thumbsup:
The Southern Coriolis force, of course. When the sun goes across the sky from right to left, there's not much you can count on except basic physics, right? What else could it be?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The Southern Coriolis force, of course. When the sun goes across the sky from right to left, there's not much you can count on except basic physics, right? What else could it be?
But what if you live here, where there is no coriolis? 1 foot north of the line? 1 foot south? Right on the line? I'm so confused. I didn't realize checking the oil level was so complicated.

Screenshot_20231224-093044_Maps.jpg

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
WRT reading the oil level with invisible fresh oil. I take a clean paper towel--the folded kind you find in dispensers--then lay the (dipped) dipstick down on the edge of the towel with a reference line (hole). The oil level will be a smudge on the paper towel. This is with one of my Austin-Healey dipsticks, which are rigid so a little easier to do, but works on my Bullitt too.
oil3.JPG

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Honestly the biggest pain for me is the fact that the rubber sleeve comes out sometimes as well. I have to push down on and and then pull out the dipstick. Its not really reading the dipsitick that gets me, its the fact that I can get wildly different results because of that rubber sleeve. I always do it at least 3 times.

Jose1962

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2015
Dammit. Just when I thought I had it all figured out. But how does the oil stay in when the folks down under are upside down? Ahhhh now I follow. Just hold the dipstick upside down and look at it in a mirror. :thumbsup:
Took off both braces on pp1 2020 no issues getting to dipstick. 10quarts just gets me below top mark

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Checking it when it's still warm is a PITA. That's why I check it cold.
Bro, everyone knows (or so I thought) you canā€™t check it cold. The oil level is like, a solid 2mm lower on the stick when itā€™s cold than when hot. So what if you check it cold and thought it was low? And then you added 6 ounces to bring the level back up. And now when it gets hot again, now youā€™re waaaaaaayyyy over filled. Now you have to worry about the crank sloshing around in the oil, or fighting that gusher of a drain plug to get the 6 ounces back out. But you do you bro.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Bro, everyone knows (or so I thought) you canā€™t check it cold. The oil level is like, a solid 2mm lower on the stick when itā€™s cold than when hot. So what if you check it cold and thought it was low? And then you added 6 ounces to bring the level back up. And now when it gets hot again, now youā€™re waaaaaaayyyy over filled. Now you have to worry about the crank sloshing around in the oil, or fighting that gusher of a drain plug to get the 6 ounces back out. But you do you bro.
Funny how when I change the oil and put the amount specified in the manual that it shows exactly full when it is cold.

OP
OP
TeamGomez

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Funny how when I change the oil and put the amount specified in the manual that it shows exactly full when it is cold.
If refilling after an oil change, the amount put it should be less than stated capacity due to the amount of oil that doesn't drain out. I would think that a 'full' mark on a batch of room temp oil would expand ~5% (half quart) after warming thus leading to an overfilled engine. YMMV...

Sponsored

Chacho71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1 MT82
Just had my oil change done Friday at my local Ford dealer, checked it the next morning and the oil level was slightly below the second hole on both sides of the dip stick.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If refilling after an oil change, the amount put it should be less than stated capacity due to the amount of oil that doesn't drain out. I would think that a 'full' mark on a batch of room temp oil would expand ~5% (half quart) after warming thus leading to an overfilled engine. YMMV...
You might be correct, except that one must leave your 5% in to account for the ~5% (minimum) reduction in quantity caused by what gets wiped off the dipstick when you remove and wipe it clean 3,000 times in serch of a readable, repeatable, dependable reading. They offset each other! šŸ¤Ŗ

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
put an oil sensor in the car. I have several other cars that do this, doesn't seem like re-inventing the wheel

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
put an oil sensor in the car. I have several other cars that do this, doesn't seem like re-inventing the wheel
When did they stop building these cars?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
10 quarts fills the sump and leaves a cold "full" reading on the dipstick.

Amatuer.
Sponsored