Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Does the Tesla come with a fire extinguisher when it blows up?
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Does the Tesla come with a fire extinguisher when it blows up?

They vent noxious fumes and that is bad enough. Some early hybrid vehicles actually had a venting system that would absolutely disintegrate but those vehicles were sort of experimental road machines before the cars came out. I see I am dealing with -as a group- an older crowd here. These are cars, sports cars legitimately. And the future Mustang which is why they kept it. Check out the reviews:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]mHhZ9jk-DrU[/MEDIA]"]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They vent noxious fumes and that is bad enough. Some early hybrid vehicles actually had a venting system that would absolutely disintegrate but those vehicles were sort of experimental road machines before the cars came out. I see I am dealing with -as a group- an older crowd here. These are cars, sports cars legitimately. And the future Mustang which is why they kept it. Check out the reviews:

No, you just clearly have a one dimensional view of what makes one (and I was born in the 80s, so not older crowd).

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No, you just clearly have a one dimensional view of what makes one (and I was born in the 80s, so not older crowd).

Well you have to forgive me. Fact is I’m almost 60 and most my age dismisss the new cars without even trying them or keeping an open mind. The younger they get the more enthusiastic they get about the faster Tesla cars.

Ford is basically in the same situation GM was with Cadillac. Its base is dying off! The Mustang while quaint and nostalgic with its V8 has to get with the times. When I see a Lincoln with a 2 litre turbo engine, that says it all. But I really think most folk here except the die hard would be surprised at how good and fast these cars can be!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I can't drive 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in my daily commute -- but more performance potential is still welcome -- hell -- as it is, I rarely commute with my Mustang anyway -- I have kept my '99 civic, and recently purchased a slightly-less-dorky-than normal Vilano single speed 20" folding bike to ride to the Metro. I will say this: I don't want to give up my V8 sounds, or my manual transmission. I have told myself that if a car in my price range that checks all the boxes for looks and emotional response can get to 60 in under 2 seconds, I could give up both the V8 and the gearbox -- currently the only car projected to be capable of that is the as yet unreleased Tesla Roadster -- and that's going to be well out of my price range.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
We like to tour in our car staying at little village pubs and b&bs in the UK and Europe, sticking to country roads if we can. I'm not sure how I would manage that in an electric only car. Quite often there is no parking right next to a window that can open to run an extension cable out and up the street.

If we stuck to motorways and chain hotels then perhaps it would be possible, but I'd rather stay at home than do that.

One solution might be to carry a generator in the boot along with a few jerry cans of petrol. Then overnight stays in remote French hamlets would be possible unless the noise of the generator kept the locals awake.

EDIT: I might be mistaken. There seems to charge points all over the place. There are two 400yds from me in Peel IOM. I never thought to look.

Again the Tesla’s are getting 1.5 to double the gas tanks as most cars today. So unless you fill up twice in one day you won’t get stranded with current technology.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Again the Tesla’s are getting 1.5 to double the gas tanks as most cars today. So unless you fill up twice in one day you won’t get stranded with current technology.
Every time I go on a long trip I fill up multiple times in one day. Even a shorter trip you'll still have to fill up at some point. Not many charging stations around here (edit: once you get out of the metro area).

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Every time I go on a long trip I fill up multiple times in one day. Even a shorter trip you'll still have to fill up at some point. Not many charging stations around here (edit: once you get out of the metro area).

This is the future. Trust me all truck stops and malls and McDonalds on the highway will soon sprout these chargers with a slot for your credit card. There’s always that but cheaper than gas. There’s always that.

Btw, the sports car version isn’t even out yet. Everyone is chasing the four door family sedan. I saw one video where they had to take a stripped down Demon with just enough race gas to get it down the track to beat it in the quarter mile. And the Tesla was just this stock car with no mods. If anything pointed to the end of the IC era - that sort of thing does (If I can find the vid I’ll post a link).

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
This is the future. Trust me all truck stops and malls and McDonalds on the highway will soon sprout these chargers with a slot for your credit card. There’s always that but cheaper than gas. There’s always that.

Btw, the sports car version isn’t even out yet. Everyone is chasing the four door family sedan. I saw one video where they had to take a stripped down Demon with just enough race gas to get it down the track to beat it in the quarter mile. And the Tesla was just this stock car with no mods. If anything pointed to the end of the IC era - that sort of thing does (If I can find the vid I’ll post a link).
we all have hours to sit around to wait for a battery to charge between fill ups? How do I do a road trip in an electric car in a time efficient manner?

put that tesla on a road course and watch how inefficient it gets. The battery is horridly inefficient on the track as it heats up. Electric cars are extremely good from a dig 1/4 mile drag race...and thats it. Sportscar version doesnt matter, its still hindered by the limitations of the battery. One dimensional as people have mentioned.

BTW:
http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wish I could have taken you there. You could have taken some of the cars for a ride. I think it would open your eyes in more ways than one
If that means they'd let me drive, I'm sure I'd have found the experience fascinating.

Anyway, if I could I would let you loose on a Tesla Roadster at your favourite track for a day. . . . . I truly believe you would be faster and could probably find ways to enhance the performance because you have more experience than the kids driving these things Don’t sell yourself short.
I'd like to think I could keep up with the kids, but I'm not fooling myself. For one thing, I do see a pretty steep learning curve involved, and for another I don't have the mindset that would allow me to drive more than tiny bits past what I know my own skill set could support (where I might need to let the electronics sort things out). Those kids probably don't have any such internal governor.

New tech is nothing to fear but to be embraced by enthusiasts.
I think there are two kinds of "new tech". There's tech that easily does what I can't keep up with in real time (that I wouldn't even want to try to keep up with). And there's tech that either does things I'm not interested in doing in the first place, or that takes away from me tasks that I actively want to keep on doing all by myself.

As a track guy you know F1 is basically hybrid and all electric is the next step though nobody wants to acknowledge it...
Interesting you mention F1. I used to follow it a lot more closely back when it was a 3.0L normally aspirated formula. Perhaps that's linked to being able to appreciate high revs and small to medium displacement over big displacement and brute power.

Formula E already exists, Hard not to view it as a sanitized version of the real thing.

If you really want to know what sort of car might hit all the right buttons for me, it might be a coupe version of something like this, with A/C mandatory these days for reasons involving heat stress.

BTW: It is super cool to see these cars speed off with no sound. Like the Road Runner without the “beep-beep”...
It'd certainly be different, that's for sure. Personally I don't need (or even want) a lot of decibels coming out the pipes, but I do want a few because in the background they're telling me things I want to know.

Norm

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
we all have hours to sit around to wait for a battery to charge between fill ups? How do I do a road trip in an electric car in a time efficient manner?

put that tesla on a road course and watch how inefficient it gets. The battery is horridly inefficient on the track as it heats up. Electric cars are extremely good from a dig 1/4 mile drag race...and thats it. Sportscar version doesnt matter, its still hindered by the limitations of the battery. One dimensional as people have mentioned.

BTW:
http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car

Point taken but the 4 door sedans were never intended for the track in the first place. Give it some time as the tech is still in its infancy. Note that the manufacturer safeguards were kept in place so this is not the definitive jury on the electric cars. Wait for the Roadster.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If that means they'd let me drive, I'm sure I'd have found the experience fascinating.

I'd like to think I could keep up with the kids, but I'm not fooling myself. For one thing, I do see a pretty steep learning curve involved, and for another I don't have the mindset that would allow me to drive more than tiny bits past what I know my own skill set could support (where I might need to let the electronics sort things out). Those kids probably don't have any such internal governor.

I think there are two kinds of "new tech". There's tech that easily does what I can't keep up with in real time (that I wouldn't even want to try to keep up with). And there's tech that either does things I'm not interested in doing in the first place, or that takes away from me tasks that I actively want to keep on doing all by myself.

Interesting you mention F1. I used to follow it a lot more closely back when it was a 3.0L normally aspirated formula. Perhaps that's linked to being able to appreciate high revs and small to medium displacement over big displacement and brute power.

Formula E already exists, Hard not to view it as a sanitized version of the real thing.

If you really want to know what sort of car might hit all the right buttons for me, it might be a coupe version of something like this, with A/C mandatory these days for reasons involving heat stress.

It'd certainly be different, that's for sure. Personally I don't need (or even want) a lot of decibels coming out the pipes, but I do want a few because in the background they're telling me things I want to know.

Norm

What I’m getting at is that the older guys can see things and capitalize on things that would never occur to the kids precisely because they are looking at it from another era. They would say things like: “See the problem on the track - we’ll if you had a real hand brake that would solve that problem!” Stuff the others would never consider. You get the idea. Don’t sell yourself short. New technology is for everyone. Every old guy who “poo poos” the newer tech eventually gets their hands on it and while they still pay lip service to their earlier statements you can see them messing about with the tech and getting ideas. Just saying...

Oh, and here is that vid I promised you guys:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]OFmFr5boXvw[/MEDIA]"]

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
New technology is for everyone.
Not intended as flame, but whenever I read blanket statements like that, I get this uncomfortable feeling that I'm supposed to forget a lifetime of experience (including the part where I've learned a few things about myself) and just get in line with everybody else. And do so willingly, solely because somebody else told me to. Thing is, I'm independent-minded enough to need choices like this to be on my own terms and for my own reasons (which don't always line up with mainstream thinking).

I don't know what it'd take for me to buy into the idea of a hybrid or full-electric Mustang being a good thing for me personally. As of right now, what's being pitched as a really good thing toward enthusiasts in general isn't particularly relevant to me or my driving, and there's at least a couple aspects that would force too much change in the way I approach driving.

Norm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Not intended as flame, but whenever I read blanket statements like that, I get this uncomfortable feeling that I'm supposed to forget a lifetime of experience (including the part where I've learned a few things about myself) and just get in line with everybody else. And do so willingly, solely because somebody else told me to. Thing is, I'm independent-minded enough to need choices like this to be on my own terms and for my own reasons (which don't always line up with mainstream thinking).

I don't know what it'd take for me to buy into the idea of a hybrid or full-electric Mustang being a good thing for me personally. As of right now, what's being pitched as a really good thing toward enthusiasts in general isn't particularly relevant to me or my driving, and there's at least a couple aspects that would force too much change in the way I approach driving.

Norm

Stay independent, don't let yourself become mainstream, stay true to who you are. There are already to many people who conform. :thumbsup:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Stay independent, don't let yourself become mainstream, stay true to who you are. There are already to many people who conform. :thumbsup:

Some would say those that drive IC engines have conformed. Electric cars are for the independent and certainly not mainstream. Though I will say I think you don’t have to have a Prius mindset to drive electric. You can also go fast!!!! :headbang:

I guess the more accurate statement is that they see the writing on the wall and they are not crazy about it...
Sponsored

Last edited: