Sponsored

Why doesn't my 17 Ecoboost premium have the active grille shutters?

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
All the other post I read people have them stock, granted a lot of them remove them for upgrades and such. I just realized my car doesn't have them at all. My car was a pony package though, think because of that we dont get it? Its also non performance pack.

Would it be worth it for me to throw a set in for mpg's or no? Why doesn't my car have a CEL not having it from factory? I added a GT grille to my car.

So now that I realize I do not have a active grille shutter, should I upgrade the intercooler or leave as is (I just dd it) but if it would help mpgs I would upgrade the intercooler to make engine run better.
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6365.JPG
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The money you would save on installing the shutters would never pay you back the cost in savings of fuel unless gas becomes $10 per gallon and you go a lot of miles.

There are many upgraded intercoolers that can be installed with shutters installed.

By chance you are trying to improve on your MPG or operate the vehicle in most cost effective way?

To operate vehicle in most cost effective way run cheap gas and drive in minus vacuum, use your instant fuel calculator in settings. I found that you get same MPG on either octane. I found that 54mph to 58mph seem to be sweet spot.

During my break end of first 1k miles it was a game to me to see what best MPG I could average. My first 1500 miles had a calculated average of 34.7 MPG.

Then I said the hell with it, I'm getting 28 MPG now, its a lot more fun

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
All the other post I read people have them stock, granted a lot of them remove them for upgrades and such. I just realized my car doesn't have them at all. My car was a pony package though, think because of that we dont get it? Its also non performance pack.

Would it be worth it for me to throw a set in for mpg's or no? Why doesn't my car have a CEL not having it from factory? I added a GT grille to my car.

So now that I realize I do not have a active grille shutter, should I upgrade the intercooler or leave as is (I just dd it) but if it would help mpgs I would upgrade the intercooler to make engine run better.
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6365.JPG
Is it a Performance Pack car? I know 2018 PP cars did not come with AGS. I assume this may also apply to pre 2018 cars as well.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Non performance pack, and if someone else has a pony pack with shutters that means because my car had an engine block heater is why mine doesn’t. Because the cord coulsnof been on way.

I removed the cord tho plug in part

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Would I have any benefit by upgrading the intercooler for daily driving? Or none

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Absolutely, after a few secs of flooring it and your heatsoaked. A larger intercooler would prevent that

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Downfalls to larger cooler any? Voided warranty? I have full factory

Better mpg?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Is it a Performance Pack car? I know 2018 PP cars did not come with AGS. I assume this may also apply to pre 2018 cars as well.
Both my 15 and 17 Performance Package Ecoboost Mustangs have the active grill shutters.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Downfalls to larger cooler any? Voided warranty? I have full factory

Better mpg?
None that I am aware of. I can't see how an intercooler would void a warranty. It's sole job is to keep the engine cool and thus safe. Granted I'm not a Ford engineer but I highly doubt they would blame a larger intercooler for a part failure.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I have full factory warranty from feb 22 2019, so I guess I will just rock it

I had ford put the gt grille on and they said it fit just fine, it wasn’t til I read about 50 LE not having them etc that I wondered and I don’t either oh well

One less thing to break in future

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
My "two cents"...I installed a larger intercooler on my stock '18. The only reason I did this was because I use it for the occasional HPDE event. Driving on a road course, especially one with long straights (e.g., Road America), you will heat soak the intercooler and the ECU will pull back boost. Personally, I have never experienced this on the street. This may have something to do with how I drive on the street, i.e., NOT like I'm on a racetrack. But there is certainly no harm to be done by installing the larger intercooler. And for clarification, all the intercooler does is cool the charge air, no impact on engine cooling.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I will save myself the effort then. I just DD it, lol. I dont ride it to its potential, so I wont ever have heat soak, and im in ohio so not even very hot. I just was thinking it would help longevity or healthier engine is why I was considering. Just sounds like a hassle and more of an incoenvience for me than anything.

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
To my knowledge, the '15-17 EB fastback models came with active grille shutters unless you had the adaptive cruise control. I don't think the convertibles had them. I don't remember if the 50 year anniversary package had them since those came with the "corral" style grille, but maybe someone can chime in. I'm not sure if the engine block heater option deletes the shutters, but someone on here might be able to confirm.

My car ('16) has the PP but no adaptive cruise control or engine block heater and it has the shutters.

As for the intercooler, it may be worth datalogging to see if you're experiencing heat soak, but I doubt it's too severe in normal daily driving, especially if your climate isn't too hot and if you don't have the shutters. Unless it's hot out and you're really pushing it from stoplight to stoplight and never building any sustained speed, you're most likely not going to notice much.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I’m betting it’s due to the block heater,

All their mustangs in Montana had block heater option, so my car has the adaptive cruise grille, and the block heater was clipped to bottom through bottom grille which would be in way of the shutters.

Not a big deal, hopefully doesn’t take away too many mpg.

4bangerECO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost base w/ performance pack
I have a 2018 base ecoboost with PP and don't have AGS. When i installed my intercooler, I was like WTF are these AGS ppl talk about? I also had a block heater from factory, which i removed when installing my FMIC
Sponsored

Last edited: