Sponsored

Why are you buying a 2017 GT instead of waiting?

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No doubt the 2018 has more technological advances than the 2015-2017. But I am happy with the looks and options that are present with current models. The 2018 will cost more to maintain if you plan on keeping the car.

The only option from the 2018 I would like to purchase for my 2016 would
be the digital speedometer.
Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Reason # 9

Hmm....

1. Discount price.
2. Rich in Aftermarket Parts .
3. Less Engine Tech - Easier to maintain.
4. Muscle Car Looks.
5. Easy to bolt on aftermarket parts to boost HP / TQ.
6. 3rd year in production - bugs been worked out by now.
7. Almost everything that comes on a 2018 I can buy for my 2017
8. Don't care about a digital dash - Old school is nice.
9. Modding is half the fun.
10. Looking to keep my car for a long time.

Agree or Disagree with my reasons - fine, its my personal preference and my opinion. Everyone has a choice in life. I made mine.

LIVE FREE - BUY AMERICAN MUSCLE - AND ENJOY LIFE !!
:cheers: :headbang:

:ford:
Yeah you can add LED lighting to a point. Besides when has lighting been such a big deal? Looking to slap a Roush or Whipple supercharger on the 17.
Can you do that on a 2018?

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Still left with *tons* of things that are worthwhile to many people. LED headlights, new transmission and clutch, new engine with better efficiency, higher redline, and more power, revised suspension (even if you don't get magneride)... too much to remember off the top of my head or list here.

I mean if none of that interests you, that's fine, but I think there is an awful lot to at least be curious about on the 2018... and you definitely cannot upgrade a 2017 to be just like a 2018.
There is pretty much nothing on your list that can't be changed on the 17 to match or best the 18 - other than "better efficiency" due to direct and port injection. It'll be interesting to see how tuning plays out on the 18 - IIRC it's going to be much harder for tuners to crack. Unless that's changed.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
There is pretty much nothing on your list that can't be changed on the 17 to match or best the 18 - other than "better efficiency" due to direct and port injection. It'll be interesting to see how tuning plays out on the 18 - IIRC it's going to be much harder for tuners to crack. Unless that's changed.
The compression increase doesn't help in that regard either. I owned a PI/DI car once already and the tuning was annoying. CR was 12.5:1. Tuning the injectors will be interesting.

Sponsored

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The compression increase doesn't help in that regard either. I owned a PI/DI car once already and the tuning was annoying. CR was 12.5:1. Tuning the injectors will be interesting.
I mean the ECU itself - I'm not sure if it's changed, but I remember reading the 18+ will be using Bosch which has architecture that's much more difficult to tune.

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I might add if the 2018 comes in at 470 HP. . .I will be tempted after all the bugs have been worked out

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
That is why I started with "Almost". ;)
Active exhaust - Don't need because I can throw on some Roush AB with or
without stock resonator. Depending on how loud I want it.

michelin pilot super sport tires going on after I burn thru the Pirellis. ;)
I thought I wanted a dual mode exhaust until I heard the 2018. I picked up a corsa sport catback and haven't looked back. Cold start is loud but I just start it with the garage door shut to keep the peace with the neighbors. Noise otherwise is very manageable with the loud pedal.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I thought I wanted a dual mode exhaust until I heard the 2018. I picked up a corsa sport catback and haven't looked back. Cold start is loud but I just start it with the garage door shut to keep the peace with the neighbors. Noise otherwise is very manageable with the loud pedal.
I still have to install mine! Too busy with emblems and I need to get the jack rails on first. Stock mufflers are WAY too quiet.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Magnaride Suspension

I plan on going with an Airlift system so the heck with MagnaRide suspension.
Besides I hear its expensive to replace and usually needs to be after the warranty runs out.

;)

Sponsored

JadedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Website
benkressler.clickfunnels.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Murdered out
I plan on going with an Airlift system so the heck with MagnaRide suspension.
Besides I hear its expensive to replace and usually needs to be after the warranty runs out.

;)
That is going to be my next mod. Tired of not being able to get in parking lots or go over larger speed bumps. Pretty sad when I only an inch lowered all around from stock height.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
I guess this an appropriate first post given that I just bought a 2017 GT Premium PP. I prefer the styling of the 17 vs the 18 and I got a great price. This forum is a wealth of information and given me plenty of ideas so I'm looking forward to picking up the car on Friday.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
More Info

I guess this an appropriate first post given that I just bought a 2017 GT Premium PP. I prefer the styling of the 17 vs the 18 and I got a great price. This forum is a wealth of information and given me plenty of ideas so I'm looking forward to picking up the car on Friday.
Here are my immediate upgrades:

1. 3M crystalline tint
2. WeatherTech mats
3. Roush Axleback Exhaust w/ stock resonator in place
4. Ford Powerpack 2
5. Steeda Mustang Clutch Spring Assist and Spring Perch Kit
6. Black Vue*DR650S-IR Series 2-Channel Dash Camera with Night Vision

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So there is *something* then. That's my only point. (I didn't list everything, btw, such as the digital cluster, which you cannot put on a 15-17).

Technically, though, yes, almost all those upgrades can be done. With enough resources (time, money, and interest), you can do just about anything to a car. But it would not be very reasonable, and is therefore not a sound argument for why the 17 is better than/as good as the 18. I mean hell, just upgrading the headlights in a 17 to good quality LED headlights alone could cost you almost as much as waiting for an 18.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
So there is *something* then.
Yeah, any major structural body stiffness improvements could not be duplicated. Suspect there will be some due to 18 non PP supposed to be handling as good as 17 PP.
Sponsored