Whipple Versus Other Tunes

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
sigh not even going to go there, you voided your warranty when you put the blower on.

There are about 10 forum threads over 15+ pages long on here and other sites which at least 2 have actual posts from Ford themselves, 4 detailed write-ups from major shops or vendors, and just about EVERY tuner or reputable shop is just a phone call away if you want to get more informed. EVERY SINGLE ONE results in the same conclusion - it is a known failure point, it is rare, it has been determined how and why it occurs, and it's a cost benefit decision for each person.
i did not void the warranty, learn to buy cars so sigh all you want. i bought it with the phase 1 roush package...So you admit failure is rare

The fact that you bought the car used with 1700 miles on it should be even more of a reason to upgrade as I'm sure the previous owner didn't baby it.
i dont baby it. and im pretty sure opening the engine and replacing parts is subject to void warranty. why would i want to chance that?

i am confident in the roush setup from the factory with a warranty:headbang:. on street tires i have more than enough power as it is even on 305s. my first goal is setting up the suspension properly and getting some tires that can grip.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I totally respect where you are coming from and no one was taking a shot at ROUSH, it's a good place to be in when purchasing a car with increased horsepower and still maintain full warranty. Some may be happy with 600 or less rwhp and choose to stay within the warranty limits however most people end up turning it up and that is where the issue with the oem OPG becomes more of a concern from a durability standpoint, I also think many people are mis led by this warranty as they turn it up and then when it blows up they expect it to be fixed for free under warranty and that is where the problems arise. The old saying you gotta pay to play certainly applies in that situation.:cheers:
this is all i have been saying. i think its reasonable to suspect that whipple or procharger can provide similar reliability to roush. and i agree that when you want to start pushing the boundaries then take precautions as needed

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The fact that you bought the car used with 1700 miles on it should be even more of a reason to upgrade as I'm sure the previous owner didn't baby it.
Seems Angry got angry for people trying to inform him. I was angry when I paid for OPGs to be installed. But I did research and read many posts about these crappy made gears. It is a crap shoot. And it happens more than angry knows. Not every failed opg is posted on this forum.

Kyle@ROUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
I totally respect where you are coming from and no one was taking a shot at ROUSH, it's a good place to be in when purchasing a car with increased horsepower and still maintain full warranty. Some may be happy with 600 or less rwhp and choose to stay within the warranty limits however most people end up turning it up and that is where the issue with the oem OPG becomes more of a concern from a durability standpoint, I also think many people are mis led by this warranty as they turn it up and then when it blows up they expect it to be fixed for free under warranty and that is where the problems arise. The old saying you gotta pay to play certainly applies in that situation.:cheers:

I hadnt taken it as a shot at ROUSH i just wanted to be clear because i think theres still some misunderstanding as to what we offer exactly. Personally i would never tell a customer not to upgrade something known to have failures in high performance applications if the cost isnt an issue.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Seems Angry got angry for people trying to inform him. I was angry when I paid for OPGs to be installed. But I did research and read many posts about these crappy made gears. It is a crap shoot. And it happens more than angry knows. Not every failed opg is posted on this forum.
lol well out of the people posting about their boosted cars and stock OPG id think if it was as often as you make it sound we would see more people posting it. but as i say if it makes you feel better and you got money go for it.

im still under factory roush setup with my warranty so im not touching until i decide i need more power. so people can tell me to change them all day everyday it doesnt make sense

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car was completely stock with 500 miles on it, I then proceeded to do all my mods at 1 time. I have bad luck and I changed the OPG and CG based on knowing that if it's going to fail it will fail on me, someone once told me that I could break a ball bearing in a rubber room.:lol:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My car was completely stock with 500 miles on it, I then proceeded to do all my mods at 1 time. I have bad luck and I changed the OPG and CG based on knowing that if it's going to fail it will fail on me, someone once told me that I could break a ball bearing in a rubber room.:lol:
Smart man. We are just trying to help angry but he is angry that his bank account is empty. :lol: Because any smart guy that wants to modify a car knows that weak link is as strong as the car will be. If you don't have the money to do it correctly you should not do it at all. We did. He didn't. :cheers:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Smart man. We are just trying to help angry but he is angry that his bank account is empty. :lol: Because any smart guy that wants to modify a car knows that weak link is as strong as the car will be. If you don't have the money to do it correctly you should not do it at all. We did. He didn't. :cheers:
so buying a 100% factory spec and warranty covered car and not modifying it is the wrong way.. tell me more

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
so buying a 100% factory spec and warranty covered car and not modifying it is the wrong way.. tell me more
Again you are missing the point. But it is what it is as my wife tells me. :)

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Again you are missing the point. But it is what it is as my wife tells me. :)
at this point seems youre just trolling. i think we have established all that can be established.. ill continue doing things the "wrong" way as you call it and if i have the slight inconvenience of having my engine replaced under warranty ill let you know.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
at this point seems youre just trolling. i think we have established all that can be established.. ill continue doing things the "wrong" way as you call it and if i have the slight inconvenience of having my engine replaced under warranty ill let you know.
How is trying to give you advise considered trolling ?:shrug:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
How is trying to give you advise considered trolling ?:shrug:
telling me im doing things wrong is trolling..

i dont know why someone would think a warrantied vehicle needs OPG.

:headbonk::frusty:

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R

Money is not an issue in some cases. Sometimes it losing the warranty or losing the OEM drivability. Sometimes it is not wanting someone to go inside your motor and possibly make a mistake (including yourself).

I can tell you this. Money is not the issue with me and I simply cannot pull the trigger on a supercharger because of all the other B.S. that seems to have to go with it.

My apologies to the O.P. for bringing up the gears in this thread. My only objective was to get Lethal to specify if "basically stock" meant stock oil pump gears.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
For me it was the fact that I didn't want to be staring at the rev counter every time I boosted it (and trust me 7000+rpm comes up in a heartbeat on boost, especially if you break traction), and worrying to myself 'Crap I hope the OPG doesn't shatter'...

It would have always been on my mind if I didn't do the upgrade, and I wanted piece of mind when revving the engine to high rpm whilst riding a power slingshot of boost.

All boils down to if you can enjoy the car to the max without the worry...and for me I just wasn't comfortable boosting (even on the Stage 1 Procharger set up) without the OPG and crank gear upgraded.

If I had a 100% stock Roush SC edition, then of course no immediate need to upgrade whilst the car is warrantied since you should be covered if the engine dies. But if you plan to get more out of the set up then its a smart move to get that weak link addressed.

Last edited:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
For me it was the fact that I didn't want to be staring at the rev counter every time I boosted it (and trust me 7000+rpm comes up in a heartbeat on boost, especially if you break traction), and worrying to myself 'Crap I hope the OPG doesn't shatter'...

It would have always been on my mind if I didn't do the upgrade, and I wanted piece of mind when revving the engine to high rpm whilst riding a power slingshot of boost.

All boils down to if you can enjoy the car to the max without the worry...and for me I just wasn't comfortable boosting (even on the Stage 1 Procharger set up) without the OPG and crank gear upgraded.
Smart man. And this is exactly what got me going into the direction of OPG/TG mod. Angry does not understand that warranty is not always good. Why you ask? How many stories have we heard over the years of dealers making more mistakes and causing repairs. I have had issues with my car and I fix it myself with my money. They want you to drop off car and wait and wait and wait. And hope it is done correct. I have a friend with a brand new car with a crank sensor code that they the dealer cannot figure out. Been there for well over a week and still nothing. So my point is do the OPGs and take the heartache of dealing with the dealer.
Sponsored