Sponsored

Whipple (gen5) net weight

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
3970 with 185 lbs of you in it? 3785 “curb” (assuming full gas) with a liq-to-air intercooled blower installed? I’ve seen the Bullitt weigh in at 3850 curb. Yours is/was much lighter than I would have thought.
Green is confused. No way with him in it. Plus injectors and spark plugs our replaced in the install. A strut brace is 16 pounds tops. lol.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Green is confused. No way with him in it. Plus injectors and spark plugs our replaced in the install. A strut brace is 16 pounds tops. lol.
You need to get facts before you call another forum member a liar. The confused person is you. I weighed the car before and after which is what the OP requested. You did not. You assume without knowing facts.
So, one more time. Last time. Believe what you want. When you replace items such as the air box, injectors, radiator hose neck, spark plugs, and the many, many preassembled hoses these are a NET ZERO increase in weight. Then, rememember when you remove the intake manifold you also remove all the attaching devices on the back such as the control valves which create vacuumn for low RPM operation. These are not light. Then, yes, you remove the strut tower brace and the two braces in front of the radiator. Then you have the weight of all the packing materials.
This is what is irritating about these forums. Assumptions and advice with little knowledge. The OP wanted FACTS. That's what I gave him.
When YOU do the before and after install on YOUR car. Tell us what you found out. But, until that anyone can assume what something is. Not good for the real world.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
You need to get facts before you call another forum member a liar. The confused person is you. I weighed the car before and after which is what the OP requested. You did not. You assume without knowing facts.
So, one more time. Last time. Believe what you want. When you replace items such as the air box, injectors, radiator hose neck, spark plugs, and the many, many preassembled hoses these are a NET ZERO increase in weight. Then, rememember when you remove the intake manifold you also remove all the attaching devices on the back such as the control valves which create vacuumn for low RPM operation. These are not light. Then, yes, you remove the strut tower brace and the two braces in front of the radiator. Then you have the weight of all the packing materials.
This is what is irritating about these forums. Assumptions and advice with little knowledge. The OP wanted FACTS. That's what I gave him.
When YOU do the before and after install on YOUR car. Tell us what you found out. But, until that anyone can assume what something is. Not good for the real world.
I said you were confused... Put the large L on your forehead please. Next...

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No one called you a liar. Maybe the scale was off. All we are saying is the numbers do not make sense and contradict not only factory claims, but also general weights others have observed. Let's not turn this into a pissing match

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This thread has turned spicy/interesting.

I only asked out of curiosity, there's not a whole lot I can do about the extra weight (other than buy lighter components, which are a goal anyway).

The only real way is to weight the car before and after.

If we're going to "ASSUME" things, it's better to at least try to make sure our assumptions are valid.

Gauging it off of how much the 2 boxes weigh from whipple is just NFW. There's packing materials and a bunch of stuff that's either a wash (add to only replace) or close to a wash (fuel rails for example, the whipple rails are slightly heavier than the stock rails).

So while we continue the before/after weight debate, let's discuss the other approach.

The blower is net added weight. The heat exchanger (and fans) is a pure added weight. The coolant is a small net (you always had coolant before, you just have more now with a liquid-air blower setup). The injectors are close to a wash or negligible. The hoses might be a small added weight (a few lbs at most) because there's more hoses and lines and they're bigger. The throttle body, again, is a little bit heavier than OEM. The cold air intake depends on what CAI you were running before. It appears the whipple system is a little heavier than my JLT. Because I'm running a 10 rib, there's some more lbs that come from bigger pulleys and the pulley on the blower and the idler. The tensioner gets a small increase. My motor mounts are heavier than the OEM.

So the real movers here are the weight of the exchanger, the net weight of the blower (subtracting the OEM upper intake) and some coolant. The smaller stuff all collectively adds up to probably 20-30 lbs at most.

Losing the aluminum strut brace helps. I'm also swapping K member to help as well. Down the road I might try to save some lbs with a lighter hood.

I'd be surprised if the overall net total is over 100lbs, but it's an interesting exercise.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Let's see. I'm trying to give an honest answer. 1. Unless someone has weighed their car before and after they do not know. 2. Yes when someone says there is no way I have done something I've stated that's tantamount to saying I am not telling the truth. 3. The scales I used are from the county which has them calibrated. 4. I'm learning that anyone can comment with just 5 minutes of reading others comments and thinking it's their own facts.

In court we call that presuming facts without evidence.

I remember the old adage in Drag racing. Show me the time slips. In this case, order a Whipple kit, weigh the before and after and post.

Otherwise your comments are empty of meaning. Done with this that's for sure!!!

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
5 xanax’s and a long nap might do some members some good.... lol.

He is usually talking to himself anyway.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Let's see. I'm trying to give an honest answer. 1. Unless someone has weighed their car before and after they do not know. 2. Yes when someone says there is no way I have done something I've stated that's tantamount to saying I am not telling the truth. 3. The scales I used are from the county which has them calibrated. 4. I'm learning that anyone can comment with just 5 minutes of reading others comments and thinking it's their own facts.

In court we call that presuming facts without evidence.

I remember the old adage in Drag racing. Show me the time slips. In this case, order a Whipple kit, weigh the before and after and post.

Otherwise your comments are empty of meaning. Done with this that's for sure!!!
My bad, you must have the only full weight pp1 car that weighs 3,600lbs from the factor on earth

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I asked Whipple this exact question when I got my Gen 2. They quoted me a 80lbs in added weight to the front post-install. I would imagine that Gen5 would also be in that ballpark.

I've considered ways of removing weight: Kmember, battery, bumper bar, hood. All are expensive.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Figure 80-100lbs depending on kit and options. Seats can basically get that back for you. Seats, battery, subwoofer, few odds and ends got me close to 200lbs out of the car. Weighed every component that I took out or replaced and added it all up trying to get as much as possible. Finally caved and decided that for my racing purposes it was just more efficient to spend money on making more power lol.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
So I weighed the Whipple 5 supercharger... 90 lbs with nothing on it. Add the intercooler with fluids and the other parts/pieces it’s gotta be 120 lbs or so added to the front.
CDCADCDF-D8FD-4019-9B82-E4F4A06C0CE2.jpeg

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I weighed the Whipple 5 supercharger... 90 lbs with nothing on it. Add the intercooler with fluids and the other parts/pieces it’s gotta be 120 lbs or so added to the front.
CDCADCDF-D8FD-4019-9B82-E4F4A06C0CE2.jpeg
Except for the fact you're forgetting the credit of the weight of the intake it's replacing as well as the coolant it already had.

The coolant is a gallon or two at most (net add) so say 7-14 lbs. The 90 lb blower gets lowered by the weight of the intake that's going away.

AEF42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If I remember correctly the main unit weighs 80 lbs rite out the box. Gen 5

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Except for the fact you're forgetting the credit of the weight of the intake it's replacing as well as the coolant it already had.

The coolant is a gallon or two at most (net add) so say 7-14 lbs. The 90 lb blower gets lowered by the weight of the intake that's going away.
Also forgetting the heat exchanger and plumbing, so back over 100lbs net lol
Sponsored