Sponsored

Whipple gen3 locked up... discuss next options?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I stopped reading after "TESLA"

How on earth can you go from a badass supercharged V8 to a Tesla?

FYI Tesla are pretty cool and fast, but it gets boring really fast.

Good luck on your build hope you keep your badass machine.
Sponsored

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I stopped reading after "TESLA"

How on earth can you go from a badass supercharged V8 to a Tesla?

FYI Tesla are pretty cool and fast, but it gets boring really fast.

Good luck on your build hope you keep your badass machine.
Lol for me at 42 years old not rich it just hurts to get under the car wrenching etc. And I don't have the money to pay people for the quality work I'd want done. I don't enjoy tinkering like when I was a kid. I don't drag race the car much though i do enjoy little acceleration pulls. That's the reason I mentioned the tesla fast pulls to 60 go get groceries. I dunno.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Lol for me at 42 years old not rich it just hurts to get under the car wrenching etc. And I don't have the money to pay people for the quality work I'd want done. I don't enjoy tinkering like when I was a kid. I don't drag race the car much though i do enjoy little acceleration pulls. That's the reason I mentioned the tesla fast pulls to 60 go get groceries. I dunno.
LOL you make it sound like your are old! I am 37, I still enjoy working on my own car and tinkering. I guess each to his own.

Anyways not trying to give you a hard time, just saying you may regret the decision. Silent pulls to 60 with 0 driver engagement are not as fun from my experience that's all. lol

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL you make it sound like your are old! I am 37, I still enjoy working on my own car and tinkering. I guess each to his own.

Anyways not trying to give you a hard time, just saying you may regret the decision. Silent pulls to 60 with 0 driver engagement are not as fun from my experience that's all. lol
I feel much older. Was a super hero in the army but now every darn joint just hurts.

But yeah, I get what your saying for sure I've just spent so much time working on the car I'm at this cross road of which way to go.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I feel much older. Was a super hero in the army but now every darn joint just hurts.

But yeah, I get what your saying for sure I've just spent so much time working on the car I'm at this cross road of which way to go.
:like:I got to say though, 931WHP? Damn that thing was a rocket! LOL

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I'm 62 and currently installing a MMR Hurricane oil pump assembly, mishimoto oil cooler, MMR Timing chain kit, guides, tensioners, primary and secondary chain replacements with CS, Whipple Stage 2 SC with OS HE, CF drive shaft, DS axles, rear diff bushings, Mishimoto Radiator. I already upgraded the suspension, Come on man. If I can do it, So Can You. Lol. Seriously though, it does wear me out sometimes not lying their. Hood Luck. Tesla are nice, I just wouldn't own one. But that's just me. 😃

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 62 and currently installing a MMR Hurricane oil pump assembly, mishimoto oil cooler, MMR Timing chain kit, guides, tensioners, primary and secondary chain replacements with CS, Whipple Stage 2 SC with OS HE, CF drive shaft, DS axles, rear diff bushings, Mishimoto Radiator. I already upgraded the suspension, Come on man. If I can do it, So Can You. Lol. Seriously though, it does wear me out sometimes not lying their. Hood Luck. Tesla are nice, I just wouldn't own one. But that's just me. 😃
Totally get it. I've seen I believe it was a 96 year old go skydiving. I've seen people do amazing things. For me, I don't have a lift and being on my back or hunched over my engine bay isn't the most fun anymore.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Totally get it. I've seen I believe it was a 96 year old go skydiving. I've seen people do amazing things. For me, I don't have a lift and being on my back or hunched over my engine bay isn't the most fun anymore.
I hear you
On that. And yes, dealers and shops want so much to work on cars these days. Good luck

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I was driving normally to pick up my son when my car suddenly bogged stalled wouldn't start. Towed home.

A month later I finally had time to diagnose thinking I had some engine issue. Pulled plugs, pulled belt off and car turned over just fine.

Turns out whipple won't spin. It only has about 2k miles on it but I've had it a few years so no warranty. Pulled head off and there are some metal shavings on top of the heat exchanger. Have not pulled that off yet.

I contacted whipple and they say it will be between 2k to 5k to fix.

Now I'm debating what to do. I have a fully built/ sleeved motor but my car is a convertible and bad recipe for high horsepower (was making 970 wheel). Car is a manual and has a 6060 swap. Not the easiest thing to launch at the track.

I'm debating. Pull motor try to sell it return car to stock and sell/ trade for a tesla model s? I don't drag race much but be nice to have power for small hits. I like acceleration.

Should I roll the dice have whipple fix head unit?

Should I buy a turbo kit mix things up?

Another thought is buy another mustang that is an auto coupe swap everything over, then sell the convertible as near stock.

Not looking to spend boat loads out of pocket so at a cross which way to go. Would love to have a discussion and share opinions.
As a guy who owned/own Mustangs (GT350) and had/have a model S/M3P, when you replace the Mustang with a Tesla, all the car culture goes with it. The hit speed is nice, but no one races you because they all know freight train engines are faster than ICE cars. But maybe you are at the point in your life where the comfort and ease of EV is right for you. I'm 50+, I have both.

If car culture doesn't mean a lot to you, then the Tesla is a nice car. I would recommend buying used because the value drops more than ICE cars the day after you buy it. I went from 66k to 28k in 1 year of ownership.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
As a guy who owned/own Mustangs (GT350) and had/have a model S/M3P, when you replace the Mustang with a Tesla, all the car culture goes with it. The hit speed is nice, but no one races you because they all know freight train engines are faster than ICE cars. But maybe you are at the point in your life where the comfort and ease of EV is right for you. I'm 50+, I have both.

If car culture doesn't mean a lot to you, then the Tesla is a nice car. I would recommend buying used because the value drops more than ICE cars the day after you buy it. I went from 66k to 28k in 1 year of ownership.
For me, im 62, and that is a Hard Pass for me on a EV. But glad you like yours. Enjoy

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I don't street race at all; so many unmarked police cars here, no hurry to go to jail, so not worried about the racing aspect.

Car culture is nice for sure.

I have a Model 3 right now and with the volatility of the EV market I would only lease for A) Reliability/unknown future and B) value loss. So I won't be owning one anytime soon just borrowing them.
Sponsored