Sponsored

Whine After Seal Swap!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ugghhh…so I swapped out a leaking axle seal and now I have a pretty good gear whine going on. And maybe it’s paranoia, but I swear it sounds like it’s getting worse. Sound started right after replacing a seal on the left side. The half shaft came out no issues, tapped in the new seal, back together no issues. Axle nut torqued down properly and it’s staying in place.

I’ve had the hub apart a couple times for other projects and never had an issue. Also there were no issues getting the half shaft in and out. I got no idea on this one, nor any clue why this job would cause it to start whining.

Just trying to think out loud of things to check or what you might do to address this. I even thought about taking it back apart and putting it right back together just to try something. Idk. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you drain / replace the diff oil ?

WD :like:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
That is really strange! Does the gear whine happen at a certain speed? or all the time?

I would raise the whole car and place it on jack stands. Then I would inspect everything again and make sure you have enough oil. Then run the car in 1st gear and get a stethoscope or similar to see where the sound is coming from. Don't hit the breaks when you want to stop it, just turn the car off.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Ugghhh…so I swapped out a leaking axle seal and now I have a pretty good gear whine going on. And maybe it’s paranoia, but I swear it sounds like it’s getting worse. Sound started right after replacing a seal on the left side. The half shaft came out no issues, tapped in the new seal, back together no issues. Axle nut torqued down properly and it’s staying in place.

I’ve had the hub apart a couple times for other projects and never had an issue. Also there were no issues getting the half shaft in and out. I got no idea on this one, nor any clue why this job would cause it to start whining.

Just trying to think out loud of things to check or what you might do to address this. I even thought about taking it back apart and putting it right back together just to try something. Idk. What do you guys think?
Question: You replaced the axle/pinion seal which was leaking and didn't refill/check the fluid level? For me, I would always verify proper fluid levels when ever I had a seal leaking and replaced it just to make sure. Good Luck

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
To specify…I did not replace a pinion seal. I replaced an axle/half shaft seal. The center section internally was never touched. This does not require draining fluid. Yes, I checked the fluid level when done, and it remained perfect. I meant there was no need to drain/refill for this job. Sorry.

@JetGray_Mach1 I agree bro, makes no sense. Well, at first I thought it was a brief period at certain speeds, but that’s the paranoia part, where I think it’s getting worse and the speed range is spreading.

Last edited:

SammyG83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had a similar issue after replacing the wheel hubs. the axle nut is supposed to be torqued to some 110 ft lbs and then pulled over another 45 degrees I think. That is something like 600 foot lbs. Let me tell you I used to have a 5 foot torque wrench to pull that kind of torque on a 747 engine mount.

Best case I could come up with is set the initial torque. Then mark a line straight up on an impact socket and 45 line on the hub. Keep your finger on the trigger until the lines are close to being lined up.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sam...great thought. So far, I tend to want to focus on the hub, but as already mentioned, I've had the hub apart several times for other projects and nare a problem. No issues with the procedure. Does anyone know...would a bad hub/bearing whine like a gear whine? Never heard of that.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Sam...great thought. So far, I tend to want to focus on the hub, but as already mentioned, I've had the hub apart several times for other projects and nare a problem. No issues with the procedure. Does anyone know...would a bad hub/bearing whine like a gear whine? Never heard of that.
I always think out of the box for issues which cannot be easily verified. For me, I would may attach a Go Pro To different locations where you think the noise is coming from and then drive to duplicate and record the whining noise. First I would attach in front and record. Then I would attach to the rear and drive and record, then I would put it to each side by the HUB and record. Good Luck

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Does the noise change when steering the car at speed?

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
If it's a bearing just jack the car and check them. If worn bad the hub will wobble, have movement play. You can put a stethoscope on each hub and spin, you will hear grinding and not a smooth quiet. Good luck

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Whine as if 2 gears, where the teeth mate together. Is it happening at all speeds?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Does the noise change when steering the car at speed?
Whine as if 2 gears, where the teeth mate together. Is it happening at all speeds?
The whine does not change with steering, and it does change pitch with speed. But this is where my paranoia kicks in...Not at all speeds. It seems to come in later. Initially I thought it existed in ~10 mph window between 60-70, but now the window seems to be growing, but still changes with speed.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
So then it’s not a wheel bearing as that sound would change as you move side to side at speed.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So then it’s not a wheel bearing as that sound would change as you move side to side at speed.

Agreed. Just ruuullllyyy struggling to understand how it could be something in the center section from sliding a half shaft in and out, which came in and out with no issue.
Sponsored