What's really leather?

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A, "MGNETO"
So I have a GT Premium - and got what I thought might be a dumb question, but I asked another owner and he wasn't sure either - with the exception of the seats, what other interior trim is really leather: dash brows? Shift/brake boots? Console lid? Door panels? Steering wheel?

Just want to make sure I'm using the right product on those areas.
Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a GT Premium - and got what I thought might be a dumb question, but I asked another owner and he wasn't sure either - with the exception of the seats, what other interior trim is really leather: dash brows? Shift/brake boots? Console lid? Door panels? Steering wheel?

Just want to make sure I'm using the right product on those areas.
Shift boot, ebrake boot, and dash? Oh, panel in the doors?

STLStangGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's the finest in Vleather. High grade vinyl made from vinyl cows. Seriously, you named all of it...the boots, door inserts, seats....that will do it.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible

Sponsored

Redalty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium with Performance Package
The only real leather in any of these is the center of the seats, steering wheel and shift knob. Ford calls it a leather "trimmed" interior. Front seats aside from the inserts, full rear seats, boots, dash, doors... all vinyl. I use Griots leather conditioner on the leather and a very light mix of Chem Guys APC on the rest. Try to keep from anything that will build up on the surface.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
This idea went through the ringer and back when the car came out without any conclusion really. Some are convinced the premier trim brings "natural grain leather" which if you believe a $395 option gives you all real leather I have ice to sell to some Eskimos too. Then I guess Katzkin and the aftermarket companies should be selling their leather seat kits for $100 a seat; highly unreasonable.

More than likely very little of it due to cost on all trim levels.

Redalty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium with Performance Package
I have done automotive upholstery as a career for the last 10 years and I can tell you that no matter the trim, the most leather is just seat inserts, wheel and shift knob. Even on my GT premium.

schenoy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015. Ruby Red
I had custom covers made at leatherseats.com, had them 100% leather. Apparently, typically a leather interior is approx 30% leather and 70% vinyl. Almost $1500.

The installer said mine was a bitch to install, since the leather doesnt stretch. But i like the richness of it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RMS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 EB, custom pack
I had custom covers made at leatherseats.com, had them 100% leather. Apparently, typically a leather interior is approx 30% leather and 70% vinyl.

The installer said mine was a bitch to install, since the leather doesnt stretch. But i like the richness of it.
Do you have any pictures? I'm also considering changing the seats, don't like that vinyl.

schenoy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015. Ruby Red