Sponsored

What is the oil consumption test process in terms of the actual test?

krisbkreeme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hello!

I am thinking about doing an oil consumption test on my GT350 but wanted to get an idea of what Ford looks at. Let's say the dealer asks me to come back in 500 miles to check the oil level. Is Ford expecting us to drive the 500 miles conservatively? Has anyone ever gotten a claim denied because of some sort of data points they collect during the check in process?
Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
what if someone just emptied out some oil on purpose lol. boom oil consumption

OP
OP

krisbkreeme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
what if someone just emptied out some oil on purpose lol. boom oil consumption
lol I was more thinking In terms of Ford saying the computer data showed the car above a certain RPM. I’m worried that they’ll try to pull some bullshit like “well you drove the car over 3,000RPM so your consumption is normal.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I haven’t heard of anything like that before. What’s the consumption your seeing.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
#ford f150 oil consumption new dipstick measured 2018 2019 2020 5.0 coyote - YouTube

Hello; About three years ago I was checking out oil consumption issues in a F-150 with the Coyote V-8. The video is about a truck owner who had his truck in for an oil consumption test.
I do not know that the answer to your question applies for a Mustang. Both are Coyote engines. I believe both have the cylinders lined using a plasma coating technique.
That method of lining the cylinders reportedly creates a very thin and very hard surface. The speculation I found was that hard lining causes the rings to take a long time to seat in. Maybe over ten thousand miles.

The "cure" used by ford was two fold. One is questionable. That being the stock one quart to low dipstick is replaced with one that reads a couple of quarts from full to the add mark.
The other makes sense. Theory is under deceleration lots of engine/crankcase vacuum is created causing oil to be sucked past the rings. They reprogram the throttle valve motor to not close the butterfly all the way. This allows for an easier path for air so less vacuum.

Look at the comments. A replacement PCV is suggested in addition to having the reprograming done.

Sponsored

OP
OP

krisbkreeme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I haven’t heard of anything like that before. What’s the consumption your seeing.
ive Been keeping track and in the last 700 miles I’ve added around 3qts to keep the oil level between the two dots on the dip stick.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
ive Been keeping track and in the last 700 miles I’ve added around 3qts to keep the oil level between the two dots on the dip stick.
Yeah that's excessive. For the test they usually mark the dipstick and seal it up and tell you to drive it and come back. More than 1qt in 1000 is problematic enough to get it warrantied.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
In my case, I went to dealer and requested a test. They topped off the oil and told me to drive 250 miles then come back, and they would see how much oil had been burned away. So I did it once, and they wanted me to do it again. So refill oil and drive 250 miles again, drain oil and see how much came out. In the end the test showed it burned 1 quart every 125 miles. In addition to that they did a compression and leak down test along with bore scope of the cyclists, before I got approval for new engine .
Sponsored