Sponsored

What is the cause to these clutch failures?

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Mine is just fine, but I am wondering what kind of driving has caused the OEM clutches to fail? I am hard on my cars, but don't do burnouts. I will be road racing and autocrossing, so the clutch will see hard use.

Is it just random? For those that had theirs let go, what were your driving habits?

I can only assume it is a matter of time for me.

Update, lasted 2 weeks, see post #8 and pic
clutch.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

ksiefken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/ PP
Aside from clutch defects, making significant power over stock and/or blatant abuse by the driver, I would say clean, hard driving in an autocross and road racing environment wouldn't have a major impact on stock clutch life.

Personally, I've never had a clutch go out on any of my cars, and I wouldn't say I baby them.

ksiefken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/ PP
Aside from clutch defects, making significant power over stock and/or blatant abuse by the driver, I would say clean, hard driving in an autocross and road racing environment wouldn't have a major impact on stock clutch life.

Personally, I've never had a clutch go out on any of my cars, and I wouldn't say I baby them.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE

This ^

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
my guess is high rpm clutch slip, either due to factory defect or the driver. Result is the same, clutch gets hot, then brittle, then comes apart. Of course, everyone with a clutch failure says that they drive their car like a Prius, and they have no idea how the clutch failed.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/hrdp-1104-what-breaks-in-2005-2011-ford-mustang/
What Breaks in 2005-2011 Ford Mustang - Got An '05-'11 Ford Mustang? Here's What's Gonna Break

Clutch
Slippage (varies): Factory single-disc clutches start slipping at 400 to 450 hp on the three-valve GT V8s and at around 650 to 700 hp for the dual-disc clutch behind the Shelby four-valve. Install upgraded clutch assemblies available from major aftermarket clutch companies.

Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
my guess is high rpm clutch slip, either due to factory defect or the driver. Result is the same, clutch gets hot, then brittle, then comes apart. Of course, everyone with a clutch failure says that they drive their car like a Prius, and they have no idea how the clutch failed.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/hrdp-1104-what-breaks-in-2005-2011-ford-mustang/
What Breaks in 2005-2011 Ford Mustang - Got An '05-'11 Ford Mustang? Here's What's Gonna Break

Clutch
Slippage (varies): Factory single-disc clutches start slipping at 400 to 450 hp on the three-valve GT V8s and at around 650 to 700 hp for the dual-disc clutch behind the Shelby four-valve. Install upgraded clutch assemblies available from major aftermarket clutch companies.
My clutch just went over the weekend. I drive my car very hard and bring it to the track. I'm an experienced driver with plenty of seat time in various manual cars. It lasted about 23,000 miles of hard launches and hard shifts, which I am more than okay with. The RST will be a perfect upgrade for the mods I have, and should give me peace of mind when driving the car how I like to drive it.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
For any of you guys having issues with your stock clutch or have had complete failure don't settle for another stock replacement. There's much better options out there such as the McLeod RST or RXT twin disc setups.

We've been running these in our cars for many years now and they're by far the best clutch setup available. They not only drive and feel just like a stock clutch they'll hold what you throw at em.

If you have any questions on which McLeod setup is best for you please feel free to give us a call and we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/ford-mustang-v8-gt/2015-ford-mustang-gt/transmission/clutch-kits-1/mcleod-1

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well I was right but happened at the worst time. After spending thousands getting my car track prepared I drove to the States from Canada and took part in the annual Mustang Ride and Drive event at Pacific Raceways. I managed to go 1 1/2 laps and boom, she let go. Utter disappointment, I knew right away what it was.

I managed to get the car to a local Mustang shop and they overnight shipped a McLeod RXT clutch and billet flywheel and it is getting installed. They were at the event and even transported my car in their race trailer to their shop and gave me a ride to my motel. Nice bunch of guys at The Mustang Shop in Kent WA.

Thought about getting it towed to Ford, but if they even covered it they would put the same shitty clutch in, so I emptied my wallet.

Last edited:

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Well I was right but happened at the worst time. After spending thousands getting my car track prepared I drove to the States from Canada and took part in the annual Mustang Ride and Drive event at Pacific Raceways. I managed to go 1 1/2 laps and boom, she let go. Utter disappointment, I knew right away what it was.

I managed to get the car to a local Mustang shop and they overnight shipped a McLeod RXT clutch and billet flywheel and it is getting installed. They were at the event and even transported my car in their race trailer to their shop and gave me a ride to their motel. Nice bunch of guys at The Mustang Shop in Kent WA.

Thought bought getting it towed to Ford, but if they even covered it they would the same shitty clutch in, so I emptied my wallet.
Keep us posted on your thoughts of the new clutch. Good luck to you! :cheers:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

I agree with this post. I myself have never had to replace a clutch due to my driving. I have had to replace a clutch due to manufacture defect. Years ago. Most not all but most clutches going out prematurely are from driver experience and abuse. I am going from 590 rwhp to 650 so I will be looking for a performance clutch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I agree with this post. I myself have never had to replace a clutch due to my driving. I have had to replace a clutch due to manufacture defect. Years ago. Most not all but most clutches going out prematurely are from driver experience and abuse. I am going from 590 rwhp to 650 so I will be looking for a performance clutch.
I've driven a stick for 31 years on street and track. Never had a clutch fail catostrphically like this. Very surprised Ford put a clutch on a car like this that can fail so easily. Only 13k miles on that clutch.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do we know which shifts are causing the failures?

I could see how a 2-3 shift would do it. You really have to let the engine wind down, or slowly clutch, to get it right. Someone who's having too much fun on the track could accidentally bounce off the rev limiter and in embarrassed fury try to shift as quickly as possible == clutch RIP?

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Do we know which shifts are causing the failures?

I could see how a 2-3 shift would do it. You really have to let the engine wind down, or slowly clutch, to get it right. Someone who's having too much fun on the track could accidentally bounce off the rev limiter and in embarrassed fury try to shift as quickly as possible == clutch RIP?
Mine was 3-4 at around 6000rpm

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
And after less than, what, 5 minutes of track? Hmm. A clutch should be able to take some abuse. McLeod it is then.
Yup, probably about 3 minutes. I was shocked and far from happy. I beat the crap out of my old 05 and it never let me down.
Sponsored