Sponsored

What exactly is the weak point on the Mt82?

WojoRCPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, PP, Roush Charged
I have no problems with my MT82 in my supercharged PP. I love the way it shifts, for me it is smooth and predictable. I have had two of my fiends drive my car that are not Mustang owners and they felt the same way. It was very easy for them to get into the car and drive it like they owned it for years. They both loved it. Maybe I just got lucky with my MT82.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The chinese hands that assemble them.

Woolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On its way
Equating China with nothing but poor quality will be the downfall of anyone in manufacturing. It's not 1990 anymore. Their equipment and processes are just as refined, and their workforce, unlike ours, is hungry. Not wanting to buy anything from China is one thing, but saying it's crap because it came from there is foolish.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I've found that of you give them a spec to build to, they do a really good job.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Equating China with nothing but poor quality will be the downfall of anyone in manufacturing. It's not 1990 anymore. Their equipment and processes are just as refined, and their workforce, unlike ours, is hungry. Not wanting to buy anything from China is one thing, but saying it's crap because it came from there is foolish.
Chinese manufacturing standards in many industries is very poor, and the inconsistent governent oversight and lack of strong regulations means much of the product that comes out of that country is of substandard quality. This does not imply that all products made in China are garbage, but a lot of what is does not meet our standards, and this is where they get their reputation.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This explains why my wife's iPhone is complete rubbish.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had issues with mine in my 2012 gt so I replaced it with a tremec magnum...not a single issue since. my buddy has broken three mt-82's now he has a tremec magnum on order. I also have another buddy who has had his mt-82 since 2011 with boost and no issues. Inconsistencies from car to car denotes a quality control problem in the chinese plant where they are built. The Chinese standards for consistent quality are less then avg. worldwide. I Didn't want to play Russian roulette with my $40k purchase!

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Here we go again.
Yeah I know but coming out of an 04' GT with a U.S. built Tremec there is a definite difference in my opinion and it's not a good one for the MT-82 compared to other transmissions. I understand why Ford/Tremec has done this but it doesn't mean I have to like it at all and I'm nowhere near as happy with this trans as I was with my TR-3650.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How does the MT82 compare with the tremec6060?
The tr 6060 is a better transmission but its a remote mount shifter trans like the mt-82 so missed shifts under spirited driving do to the movement of the shifter can happen. Internally its stronger then the mt-82 and can take more power! The magnum is a completely updated trans over the 6060 with a top of trans shifter mount which provides more reliable shifts!

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must have got one of the good ones. I've had cars with a T-5, T-45, T-56, TR-6060. This by far is the smoothest shifting mustang I've owned. I haven't missed a shift yet, and can row them pretty good. I haven't even been able to talk myself into upgrading the shifter yet.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Chinese manufacturing standards in many industries is very poor, and the inconsistent governent oversight and lack of strong regulations means much of the product that comes out of that country is of substandard quality. This does not imply that all products made in China are garbage, but a lot of what is does not meet our standards, and this is where they get their reputation.
Blame Ford wanting a cheaper transmission. There's tons of things coming out of China that are good quality but they are not cheap. If you want cheap stuff, the quality will suffer.

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
The tr 6060 is a better transmission but its a remote mount shifter trans like the mt-82 so missed shifts under spirited driving do to the movement of the shifter can happen. Internally its stronger then the mt-82 and can take more power! The magnum is a completely updated trans over the 6060 with a top of trans shifter mount which provides more reliable shifts!
Got ya thanks! MT-82 seems good for me but then I again I haven't really pushed it's limit shifting at redline.

Shelby uses the Tremec TR3160 and the Vettes/Camaro uses Tremec TR6060. They seem notchy with driveline chatter but when shift right they're awesome.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
MT82 shifts fine for me, but shifting isnt my concern or issue. I dont like knowing that its most likely going to break at any moment, especially if I start taking the car to the track. Id go so far as to say that I would prefer a trans that didnt shift as nice if it meant I didnt have to worry about it busting at stock engine power levels.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
A few small mods, and the MT-82 isn't a bad gearbox by any means. It does what I need it to do.
Sponsored