Sponsored

What car next?

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Hello fellow mustang owners.

The lease on my 2015 Mustang GT PP is up in about 10 months and I thought now might be a good time to think about what to get next and I would like to hear all your opinions. What car would you consider driving next after your mustang (if you had to sell it or in my case, lease is up)?

I'll explain why I do not plan on keeping it. I moved from another country and had no credit history in the beginning. I paid/am paying a quite exorbitant amount for the lease on my mustang. If I bought it after the lease, I would have paid like 55k for the car which is crazy. Long story short, I'm trying to cut my losses.

I've been googling and researching a little and have shortlisted a few (all used):

1. MK7 Golf R DSG
2. BMW 335i - a bit turned off by the maintenance for the vehicle though
3. Dodge Charger Scat Pact
4. Subaru WRX STI Hatchback
5. Evo X MR

I would like to know what you guys will consider and why? :D

And finally, the GT350 is a little outta my budget at the moment.
Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think we need some more info including what your needs are (is this your only car? do you need to carry cargo and more than one passenger? etc.). Also, are you looking for only automatics or undecided on the transmission choice? Regardless, here are my feelings:

1. Golf R: I drove a Mk7 GTI a year ago when I was shopping cars. Not quite what I was looking for at the time (obviously, since I bought a Mustang), but it was a very nice car. It was also the only one I drove with an automatic and I was very impressed by the dual-clutch. It had the Fender sound system which was the best sounding stereo of any car I drove and the interior was nicer than any of them except for maybe the Mustang. I bought the Mustang because I already have an old hatchback for hauling stuff, but if I only had one car for everything I would consider the VW. Personally, I would probably go with the GTI over the Golf R unless I had a compelling reason to need AWD (or a lot of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket).

2. BWM 335i: I've only ever owned one old (E36) BMW, so maybe this is unfair to say about a newer one but personally I would stay away from the bimmers. IMO they're too expensive new and too much maintenance when they're used. When I had mine I was constantly replacing something.

3. Charger: I haven't driven one. I'd say only go for this if you're really into the muscle car aesthetic. This is an old chassis and obviously it will get poor gas mileage. But it is roomy and I suppose there isn't much else like it at the moment.

4. WRX STI: What years are you looking at? Obviously, not a 2015+ since they don't make the hatch anymore. I'd say this is probably the closest match to the Golf R, so it's a matter of which do you want more: the better livability and comfort of the VW or the rawness of the STI? I haven't driven an STI, but I have driven a couple of WRXs including the new (2015) one. In my mind, there wasn't much reason to get the Rex over the GTI except for the AWD. The new WRXs aren't as brutally eccentric as they used to be. But they still have somewhat cheap (albeit improved) interiors, so what are you really getting over the VW? The new WRX engine is great, but the STI still uses the outdated motor that gets terrible gas mileage.

5. Evo: I've never driven one of these, so I've got nothing.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Having owned an MK6 GTI and now a MK7 Golf R, I can tell you for sure you will want a Golf R. Seriously fun car, easy to mod as well with tunes already available to push the power up to what it should be. A bit of turbo lag from factory, that's to be expected with a turbo 4-banger but it is one of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

Recommended for sure. Good luck on the hunt :thumbsup:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Considering where you're located, I'd personally go Charger. But I've had a boner for a Golf R too living in MN where AWD is practically mandatory.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I'd go Charger. I did the move and I'm not upset about it. The new Golf R is definitely a good choice. I wouldn't mind having one of those either.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Well, I think we need some more info including what your needs are (is this your only car? do you need to carry cargo and more than one passenger? etc.). Also, are you looking for only automatics or undecided on the transmission choice? Regardless, here are my feelings:

1. Golf R: I drove a Mk7 GTI a year ago when I was shopping cars. Not quite what I was looking for at the time (obviously, since I bought a Mustang), but it was a very nice car. It was also the only one I drove with an automatic and I was very impressed by the dual-clutch. It had the Fender sound system which was the best sounding stereo of any car I drove and the interior was nicer than any of them except for maybe the Mustang. I bought the Mustang because I already have an old hatchback for hauling stuff, but if I only had one car for everything I would consider the VW. Personally, I would probably go with the GTI over the Golf R unless I had a compelling reason to need AWD (or a lot of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket).

2. BWM 335i: I've only ever owned one old (E36) BMW, so maybe this is unfair to say about a newer one but personally I would stay away from the bimmers. IMO they're too expensive new and too much maintenance when they're used. When I had mine I was constantly replacing something.

3. Charger: I haven't driven one. I'd say only go for this if you're really into the muscle car aesthetic. This is an old chassis and obviously it will get poor gas mileage. But it is roomy and I suppose there isn't much else like it at the moment.

4. WRX STI: What years are you looking at? Obviously, not a 2015+ since they don't make the hatch anymore. I'd say this is probably the closest match to the Golf R, so it's a matter of which do you want more: the better livability and comfort of the VW or the rawness of the STI? I haven't driven an STI, but I have driven a couple of WRXs including the new (2015) one. In my mind, there wasn't much reason to get the Rex over the GTI except for the AWD. The new WRXs aren't as brutally eccentric as they used to be. But they still have somewhat cheap (albeit improved) interiors, so what are you really getting over the VW? The new WRX engine is great, but the STI still uses the outdated motor that gets terrible gas mileage.

5. Evo: I've never driven one of these, so I've got nothing.

Thank you HappySquirrel!

That is as informative as it can get.

1. I actually wanted out of my lease asap and I came close twice only to be let down by the other party so I've actually test driven the Golf R. I like how the sturdy and stable the car felt. I may be wrong but I felt the Golf R was actually faster than the Mustang before the 100mph mark. I don't see myself driving above 100mph often or at all so the R is something I'm really keen on. Not that I am complaining but the Golf R gets decent mileage compared to the Mustang.

2. Yes I thought so too. I googled for "cost of ownership" for the bmw335i and it's almost 2-3 times more expensive to maintain than the R.

3. I didn't know it has an old chassis. Thanks for pointing that out.

4. You are spot on. Before getting into the lease, I was actually looking at 3 different cars at that time. The Mustang, the Golf and the STI. I was not impressed when I saw the specs for the STI. I used to drive the 2007 STI and it's basically the same block but with some improvements and I passed. The 2015 Golf R wasn't available then and I have never driven a v8 and thus I picked the Mustang.

5. I've driven the 5sp Evo X and just feel that they should have 6 sp gearboxes and thus the MR. However, I havent test driven an MR yet.

OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Having owned an MK6 GTI and now a MK7 Golf R, I can tell you for sure you will want a Golf R. Seriously fun car, easy to mod as well with tunes already available to push the power up to what it should be. A bit of turbo lag from factory, that's to be expected with a turbo 4-banger but it is one of the most fun cars I've ever owned.

Recommended for sure. Good luck on the hunt :thumbsup:
:cheers:

I too am leaning towards the Golf R. What stage and tune are you on currently?

OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Considering where you're located, I'd personally go Charger. But I've had a boner for a Golf R too living in MN where AWD is practically mandatory.
I've had a boner for the Golf R for a long time as well. :lol:

I guess I might have to go test drive a Charger before making a final decision.

OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I'd go Charger. I did the move and I'm not upset about it. The new Golf R is definitely a good choice. I wouldn't mind having one of those either.
And you've got a green one! They look good in that color!

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I'd also look at the BMW M235i. I was initially going to upgrade to a Mustang GT, but a test drive in the bimmer changed my mind.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I'd also look at the BMW M235i. I was initially going to upgrade to a Mustang GT, but a test drive in the bimmer changed my mind.
I really love the BMWs as well but they are awfully expensive to maintain. Never have I complained about test driving one more machine. :D

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I really love the BMWs as well but they are awfully expensive to maintain. Never have I complained about test driving one more machine. :D
Actually you would be surprised, it is not that bad if you decide to go with CPO. Some cars are warrantied up to 100K, and 7 years or so.I myself was going to get a Mustang GT PP, but given how many rattles my car had developed within the last year, I am hesitating towards going with another Mustang.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I just leased a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. I was able to get 599/month for 36 months with 12k per year and zero down no security deposit. I put 600 miles on in 3 days. It is my daily driver where my GT350 is mostly a weekend car. I vote for the Dodge but I'd go with he Hellcat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why a Charger? At least look at the Challenger. The Charger is a huge boat it doesn't match the rest of your list at all.

I would stay away from the 4 cylinder turbo cars because they just don't do it for me. The VWs are overpriced IMO for what you get, the WRX still has that old engine.. Evo is a little interesting to me, but not much.

Since you don't have snow to contend with I would go Challenger. You could also look at an older Mustang or Camaro. I love the 2011 Mustang styling and you could probably get a great deal on one.

OP
OP

ad23tzj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I just leased a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. I was able to get 599/month for 36 months with 12k per year and zero down no security deposit. I put 600 miles on in 3 days. It is my daily driver where my GT350 is mostly a weekend car. I vote for the Dodge but I'd go with he Hellcat.
You've got a great deal for a Hellcat considering the MSRP is upwards of 62k. As I mentioned, I entered into a lease with no credit history and am paying $700 a month for my mustang. After the lease is up, I would have paid about 25k and I end up with no car. I can't get over the fact that I paid 25k and I have no car to call my own. 25k would have gotten me an older sti or evo or the mk6 golf r. For me, no more leases moving forward. I've got great credit now and I think it's time to buy and own a car. Plus, the hellcat is not within my budget.
Sponsored