nsquared

Versatile
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Watched a youtube video that talked about how a lot of the parts on the GT350 were still steel and if Ford Performance were to have used aluminum, it would have raised the price.

Realistically, how much weight saving parts can be used to try and reduce the weight of the car aside from wheels?

[ame]

[He mentions some parts in the video.]
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Biggest savings would be from utilizing more aluminum in the chassis itself, not something that's going to happen aftermarket. Higher costs but would probably net the vehicle down to around 3300-3400lbs maybe? With the aluminum changes to the F150 body, we may not be that far off of seeing this happen in whatever succeeds the GT350.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
A set of wheels could easily drop 40lbs, catback exhaust can drop another 30lbs. One piece race seats could drop 15-20lbs each. CF driveshaft about another 20-25lbs.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
If some company were really ambitious they could sell parts that would make the GT350 lighter. I believe Watson is working on a rear subframe and the front one could be made stronger and lighter from aluminum. The engine compartment brace that runs from the strut towers to the firewall could be made from aluminum the other strut tower brace is already aluminum on the R and maybe the all GT350s. Seats, trim and exhaust could all be lighter. The bumper reinforcement bars either are or could be aluminum or even magnesium or carbon. Coil overs with 2" springs are lighter than the stock much larger springs and titanium coil springs weigh half what a steel spring weighs and last longer too. I have even seen carbon fiber springs doubt those will be available but they could be.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
A set of wheels could easily drop 40lbs, catback exhaust can drop another 30lbs. One piece race seats could drop 15-20lbs each. CF driveshaft about another 20-25lbs.
I'm with this guy, the lightest affordable wheels are the enkei pf01s. Seen a bunch of boss 302s and regular 5.0s sporting them at the track. I think on a 19" rim (depending on width) they are about 19lbs. I would do wheels and aluminum DS, rear seat delete. Wait a couple of years and there will be k-members available. Those saved 35lbs on the s197 5.0.

Maybe during the mid cycle refresh ford will drop weight on these cars. It's not hard to conceive, new f150 uses aluminum bodies. Man, ford will up the notch if the next gt500 had an alum body with CF wheels. :headbonk:

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
There is significant weight savings still available within modules. I have had pretty good discussions on Camaro 6, with regards to the different strategies in the segment.

Ford continually does more with less, except for cams.

There is a solid 100 - 125 delta between the 6gM and 6GC, and the GT350.

To piggy back off Grimace,

- 40lbs wheels
- 30 lbs catback
- 17 lbs seats
- 20 lbs in drive shaft

- 30 lbs rear seat delete
- 10 lbs in rear dif carrier, stock aluminum on weighs about 15.5 lbs
-15 lbs in light weight battery

You can probably get another 13-17 lbs with a Carbon Fiber hood, which a friend of mine is making.
Fenders are soda can thick, so no real opportunity there.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm with this guy, the lightest affordable wheels are the enkei pf01s. Seen a bunch of boss 302s and regular 5.0s sporting them at the track. I think on a 19" rim (depending on width) they are about 19lbs. I would do wheels and aluminum DS, rear seat delete. Wait a couple of years and there will be k-members available. Those saved 35lbs on the s197 5.0.

Maybe during the mid cycle refresh ford will drop weight on these cars. It's not hard to conceive, new f150 uses aluminum bodies. Man, ford will up the notch if the next gt500 had an alum body with CF wheels. :headbonk:

I don't think the PF01 is available in 19" unfortunately.

IIRC Kelly from BMR said the S550 and S197 front subframes are the same already, should be able to upgrade right now.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Perspective: Wheels and rear seat delete alone brings you right back into base S550 GT, heavily optioned S197, G6 Camaro 1SS, and base E92 M3 Performance Package territory.

I still plan on killing resonators, rear seat, and new wheels (for racing only). We'll see about a driveshaft. I have bad feeling they're going to be jaw-to-the-feet expensive.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Downsizing the car is the most sensible way to cut costs and weight in one full swing. I was looking at the overhangs on the s550 and there is too much booty in the back going on. Shorten it up and lower the roofline just a hair.

You can't cut size too much though cause I can tell you, there are a plenty of women m, and men including myself, who like the ability to put a car seat in the rear and size does matter... And single women love the ability to have a sexy car with power, economy and kid-ability.

Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Downsizing the car is the most sensible way to cut costs and weight in one full swing. I was looking at the overhangs on the s550 and there is too much booty in the back going on. Shorten it up and lower the roofline just a hair.

You can't cut size too much though cause I can tell you, there are a plenty of women m, and men including myself, who like the ability to put a car seat in the rear and size does matter... And single women love the ability to have a sexy car with power, economy and kid-ability.
I only buy cars I can drive my kids around in. :D

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Hi Guys,

This is a bit of a light hearted comment so don't take it wrong. I have said the same comment on other car forums as well.

I will see/hear guys talking about how to get every pound out of the car but then I see the driver is 5'6 and 230 lbs (no not pure muscle) lol I bet we can save a lot of weight and all be healthier and save a ton of cash in aftermarket if we thought as much about our own weight.

Also love the Asian GF comment above :0)

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi Guys,

This is a bit of a light hearted comment so don't take it wrong. I have said the same comment on other car forums as well.

I will see/hear guys talking about how to get every pound out of the car but then I see the driver is 5'6 and 230 lbs (no not pure muscle) lol I bet we can save a lot of weight and all be healthier and save a ton of cash in aftermarket if we thought as much about our own weight.

Also love the Asian GF comment above :0)
That is me! :lol:

Actually, I'm 6'1 and 230, but yeah - when it comes to weight savings in the car, my fat ass is the first piece that needs modding. :D
Sponsored