Voltmeter fluctuates

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
The voltmeter readings on my May 16 car fluctuate so much as to be useless. Before starting it can read 11.5V or 13V even with a fully charged battery. On the road it can fluctuate 13.5 to 14.5 holding steady then rising or falling with no revs change. With an external meter or battery charger it appears voltage is OK.
When I had second service I asked them to check the battery & charging & no faults reported. They reckoned the reason the puddle lights did not always come on was a low battery charge. I've noticed that the Sync screen does not come on before I start the car if battery is not fully charged.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You got a dash or anything setup on a live wire constantly?

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
The stock Motorcraft battery is garbage, it will eventually die. Mine lasted 12 months before starting to misbehave, i perservered with it until nearly 2 years were up then it had to go because of a dead cell.

I've just px'd my old car and told the dealer i want my new battery moving into the new car, and they can put the crap ford one back in the other car.

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
The stock Motorcraft battery is garbage, it will eventually die. Mine lasted 12 months before starting to misbehave, i perservered with it until nearly 2 years were up then it had to go because of a dead cell.

I've just px'd my old car and told the dealer i want my new battery moving into the new car, and they can put the crap ford one back in the other car.
I've always thought it was a bit on the small side. Our friends across the pond seem to have a fair amount of trouble with them too.

Can you remember what you replaced it with?

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I've always thought it was a bit on the small side. Our friends across the pond seem to have a fair amount of trouble with them too.

Can you remember what you replaced it with?

Cheers

Phil

Yeah i have a friend who's owned motorspares store for eternity, he recommended a Yuasa battery and supplied me with a YBX5027 which is 620A

SurfOrFight

SurfOrFight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Auto Ruby Red 2016
Vehicle Showcase
The voltmeter readings on my May 16 car fluctuate so much as to be useless. Before starting it can read 11.5V or 13V even with a fully charged battery. On the road it can fluctuate 13.5 to 14.5 holding steady then rising or falling with no revs change. With an external meter or battery charger it appears voltage is OK.
When I had second service I asked them to check the battery & charging & no faults reported. They reckoned the reason the puddle lights did not always come on was a low battery charge. I've noticed that the Sync screen does not come on before I start the car if battery is not fully charged.
The voltmeter will be working fine; it all depends on the load. There will be a load on the battery when just turning the systems on so will be less than a fully charged battery (12.6v) the more load the lower the voltage shown. When engine runs it will charge at around 14.6 v but again this will drop when systems are running e.g radio, sat nav, air con, running lights etc. :cool:
Sponsored