Sponsored

Videos of my MT-82 noises. Is this "Normal"?

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Trans noise videos.

Ok, so I am starting to get irritated by the trans noise and I tried taking some video last night and this morning. They are not the best I could get but they do illustrate, to some extent, what I am hearing. I would love to get some feedback. I have never had a mustang nor a RWD manual so I am uncertain what to expect. I would suggest using headphones if you have them because some of the noise is subtle. I have almost 900 miles now and all these have been since day one.

Here are three videos of the trans noise I get. The first video is of the first few gears; I want you to listen close to the 1-2 gear shift and the amount of gear noise between that shift; then you can also hear the whine as well. The second video is of a 4th gear acceleration from 2000-3000 where the whine is more prominent. The third video is of, what i think is throw-out bearing noise. You can see that it goes away as I push in the clutch and also the rpms change, which I believe is normal? I went to the dealer and they told me these noises are completely normal for the trans. I feel they are not normal nor is it something a 45k car should have.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

These gearing noises are subtle in the video but seem much more pronounced to me within the cabin. The trans gearing noises are able to be heard over the exhaust note shifting from 1-3 unless under WOT acceleration. Please just give me some input if I am over sensitive and the dealer is correct or should I be concerned.
Sponsored

Last edited:

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
I can't speak to the clutch noise but the gear whine is normal on the MT82. Ford had that problem come up late during development, so they switched to a trans fluid with thicker viscosity then released the car to production. Problem was, the thicker fluid caused shifting problems in cold temperatures, so they had to switch back to the thinner fluid. Which brought the gear whine back.

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
You have me wondering if these are sounds of a high performance transmission or a bucket of future problems. My s2000 has what's been described as one of if not the best factory transmissions to shift and it makes a complete orchestra of noises on par with a chainsaw. You can also spend thousands on a performance dog box transmission and have some of the loudest gears you've ever heard under normal operation. Maybe the gears on the new mustangs have a bit of a square cut for performance reasons, and i would be be ok with that whine if that's the case

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
I would seriously go to your dealer's service department with this video in hand. have them drive it with YOU in the vehicle. have them completely purge your current gearbox fluid and replace it with the specified Motorcraft QDC fluid as well as the prescribed Motorcraft XL-18 friction enhancer (refer them to the current Ford MotorcraftTransmission lubrication guide for the MT82 gearbox...requires QDC AND XL-18). If after they service the tranny you're still getting that noise, time to break out the big guns and have them drop the tranny and check your clutch plate, throw-out bearings, and flywheel retention bolts for proper torque (refer to past TSB's for the MT82 Transmission).

Sponsored

rduk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 15
Nothing wrong with it, mine has been making the same noises since 2011

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rduk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 15
Mine makes the same noise, it's perfectly fine

OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with it, mine has been making the same noises since 2011

What kind of mileage you at now and have you ever had any sketchy or notchy shifts? I get a weird notchy shift once in a while going into 3rd. Do all noises disappear in 5th?

rduk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 15
Sometimes it's rough when it's cold outside. It's been perfect since day one

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I think your shifting and whine noise are normal. Mine makes the same noises, and is what I'd consider smooth shifting.

I will chime in on your T/O bearing noise though. It sounds like the input shaft actually, being spun back up when you let the clutch out, and slowing down when you push the clutch in.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I think your shifting and whine noise are normal. Mine makes the same noises, and is what I'd consider smooth shifting.

I will chime in on your T/O bearing noise though. It sounds like the input shaft actually, being spun back up when you let the clutch out, and slowing down when you push the clutch in.
Ever get a notchy shift into third? it is seldom for me but it is just anther concern I have. I don't know if things will work in or get worse with time. That is my dilemma.

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Yeah, sometimes it's notchy in 2 and 3. Its just telling me to shift harder.

SC_Sport_Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Edge; 2015 GT PP, 06 F350 Dually
The Borg Warner T-10 4 speed in my 69 made more noise than this. Heck
I loved that gear whine back then. Still I agree with getting peace of mind.
Go to the dealer and let them check it out thoroughly.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
The gear whine is normal, the throw out bearing is not and I would take it back to the dealer.I.had the same noise in my 370z with the throw out bearing and when they took it apart the bearing was shot.
Sponsored