Sponsored

v6 vs ecoboost

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
I will say it like this

If you're going to be a regular on the forum then go for the gt, if not then go for whatever suits your budget and don't come sneaking back in because you will start regretting not getting a gt.

I was like that and I'm sure most were too, but now I want something useful for the family lol Toyota Avalon ftw! Haha
Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Best way to figure it out....test drive all 3 and see which one you like best. And not a quick test drive, either make it atleast a 20 min drive that you will get a good feel of the engine to narrow your choices.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
So that's the type of mileage I can expect if I had gotten a GT. I'm ok going with the V6 but I still want a GT.
That's the kind of mileage you can expect if you use e85. I average 20 mpg.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You actually have better mileage than I do. And no I don't mash the gas pedal. I feel like I'm the only one driving in a city that has traffic to get worse mileage than a GT.

Sponsored

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Ford limits the options available on the V6, so they drive to the Ecoboost to get the options you want.

We have an Ecoboost Escape, and to be frank, I wish I could have gotten a V6, because I am not impressed with the fuel mileage of the Ecoboost. My V8 Mustang gets the same MPG at 70.
Do you have the 1.6 or the 2.0? The 1.6 really struggles with the weight of the Escape, let alone when its loaded. I agree with you in I feel the V6 is the way to go in the Escape. When towing the 5.0 F-150 gets a good bit better fuel economy than the Ecoboost, though the Ecoboost will out tow the V8, guess it's all in what you want out of it and how you use it.

To the OP, there are tradeoffs to both of course. The end price with the interest and length of term determines the payment. Get what makes you happy. If you want the premium you'll have to go Ecoboost, but it gets expensive fast. Personally, between the 2 I think I'd get the V6.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
I only drive my GT when I want to go out and have fun - it's all around town and spirited driving. I have intake/exhaust and a tune, and get 17mpg in my auto. That's not bad. My c6 manual with full exhaust, intake, intake manifold, and tune only got 14mpg around town with the same kind of driving. Even my WRX only got 20mpg out of a turbo 4cyl

If you get a GT and don't drive it too hard, you'll be fine. Unless you're driving hundreds of miles each week, please do not let MPG be your deciding factor in which car you purchase. Spend some time driving all three, see what you like - but, as others have said, if you can afford the GT price tag, get it.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Intercooler, downpipe and tune turns the Ecoboost into a different class of car. A cut way above the V6 imo

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
That's the kind of mileage you can expect if you use e85. I average 20 mpg.
20mpg city?
Thats really high wtf. Are you baby'ing the gas or is that fun driving?

Anyways OP, i really think you should not worry too much about mpg because most cars these days have good mpg. The mpg difference between the v6 and the gt is like 1-2mpg. If gas goes back up to $5/gal then were all f*ed anyway. I think if you want the true muscle car experience and a smile on your face everytime you press the gas and hear the exhaust roar, you should look into even a base GT since you can find them for $30-$32k.
Just trying to save you from making the same mistake i did, buying a v6 because it was affordable but after a few months, start wishing you had a GT.

Last edited:

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, M6, Oxford White
OP if I were you I would visit a few dealers over the next week and test drive all three. Come back at least once after your intial drive, but DONT BUT IT YET!!

Then come back when they are just beginning to have 4th of July sales. I believe 4th of July and Memorial Day sales are the best time to buy cars, imho. Also, FWIW I got my base M6 GT for $28k before dealer fees at the end of February.

Sponsored

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
It really is down to YOU and how the car is going to be used! Buy what you want and can afford. Added up all the things that matter to you!

Break it down, what is important to you.
example for me
1. Kept my 2001 mustang for 15 years = longevity
2. Car is a daily drive, looking at 20k miles per year = reliability and MPG
3. Didn't want to spend a lot = value
4. Cloth seats are fine
5. Wanted a coupe
6. Not a modder
7. Not looking to race or impress anyone = 300 hp is plenty (2001 GT 260 hp)
8. Comfortable in my own skin = don't give a crap what people say or think about MY car.

Really world experiences + research = 2016 V6 for me and couldn't be happier with the power it puts down.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Turbos suck with MPG when you are in boost. It's definitely a misleading engine in terms of MPG.
Actually they get the same or better mileage compared to a NA engine of the same HP on boost. Thing is 80% of your driving is off boost so you get the same or better mileage than a NA engine of the same displacement.

I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars as daily drivers for over 30 years and close to a million miles and have never failed to beat the EPA estimates on a tank to tank average. My Ecoboost Mustang easily gets 33-34 mpg on the hiway if I keep the speeds at 70 or below. On my suburban commute I regularly get 28.5 to 30.5 mpg tank to tank.

I believe the recent knock on mileage is coming from cars where they are putting tiny engines in relatively heavy cars, the 1.6 Ecoboost in a Fusion comes to mind. A 1.6 NA engine is totally in adequate to power a Fusion so just to compensate you are using the boost a larger percentage of the time. Now my Ecoboost Mustang easily keeps up with traffic without ever going into boost.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
So that's the type of mileage I can expect if I had gotten a GT. I'm ok going with the V6 but I still want a GT.
No, that pic is disingenuous. I regularly get 28 on hwy with mine, but I drive 500 miles/week. Around town, driven more or less mello, 21 or so.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
So that's the type of mileage I can expect if I had Tracked a GT. I'm ok going with the V6 but I still want a GT.
Fixed. I've gotten better economy on the track in my GT. I'm averaging 18.5mpg city, had as high as 26.5 highway.
Sponsored