Sponsored

US Next Week - Which CAI to buy?

bennno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
550 Comp Orange
Off to the US next week, planning a big enough case to bring back a FRP x-pipe and FRP lowering springs - however keep noticing the Roush CAI and the FRP GT350 body and intake.... then the performance pack which includes the tune.

Has anybody attempted to load one of the FRP performance packs to a UK car? If not is the Roush CAI or the GT350 filter and throttle body worth bringing back? If its the GT350 option can anybody advise on how to get a suitable flash tune?

Bennno
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

If your not willing to void warranty by tuning the car then there is only was CAI which makes a good improvement:

PMAS "no tune" CAI: Expect 10-15BHP gains and around 25lb/ft down low.

The reason its the only CAI that actually makes power without need for tuning is the "no tune" version comes with a pre-calibrated maf sensor to prevent any fuelling issues from the massive 120mm ID tube this cold air intake has.

A few of us here have tried this intake without tune and with tune, we have all being very impressed.

Its downsides are higher intake temperatures and it looks like a 5yr made it so they don't offer any under hood engine bling.

Now if your gonna tune then that opens up a whole load of other options and you want to be going with a CAI that has a larger inner diameter maf tube or has a removable insert to make that possible as such the recommended solutions are:

- Roush (105mm insert removed)
- GT 350 (110mm and you need to block off the un-used breather/vacuum
- PMAS "tune required" CAI (120mm and use your old maf sensor)
- JLT CAI (110mm or 120mm versions)

Those are the popular CAI's and have made proven gains on tuned cars, another popular and good choice is the Airaid CAI but the insert has to be cut and dremelled out so its a bit messy and some tuners are not keen on that, whereas some are.

The other option is Ford Power Pack 2 from USA, you can get it for $600 if you shop around and it includes:
- GT 350 TB adapter for stock manifold
- GT 350 87mm throttle body
- GT 350 CAI (optional K&N cone filter is worth around 7BHP)
- Necessary fittings
- Ford canned tune

If the tune and procal will flash your car its great value, if not then you still need to purchase a tuning device and programmer from somewhere ike Lund.

Also bear in mind with a canned tune such as Fords an oil separator is a must otherwise you risk pinging/detonation and you must use good quality fuel such as Vpower or Tesco 99 as a canned tune is set, though Ford's canned tune does have an octane learning mode you can enable.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi there

If your not willing to void warranty by tuning the car then there is only was CAI which makes a good improvement:

The reason its the only CAI that actually makes power without need for tuning is the "no tune" version comes with a pre-calibrated maf sensor to prevent any fuelling issues from the massive 120mm ID tube this cold air intake has.

A few of us here have tried this intake without tune and with tune, we have all being very impressed.

Its downsides are higher intake temperatures and it looks like a 5yr made it so they don't offer any under hood engine bling.

Now if your gonna tune then that opens up a whole load of other options and you want to be going with a CAI that has a larger inner diameter maf tube or has a removable insert to make that possible as such the recommended solutions are:

Those are the popular CAI's and have made proven gains on tuned cars, another popular and good choice is the Airaid CAI but the insert has to be cut and dremelled out so its a bit messy and some tuners are not keen on that, whereas some are.

The other option is Ford Power Pack 2 from USA, you can get it for $600 if you shop around and it includes:
- Necessary fittings
- Ford canned tune

If the tune and procal will flash your car its great value, if not then you still need to purchase a tuning device and programmer from somewhere ike Lund.

Also bear in mind with a canned tune such as Fords an oil separator is a must otherwise you risk pinging/detonation and you must use good quality fuel such as Vpower or Tesco 99 as a canned tune is set, though Ford's canned tune does have an octane learning mode you can enable.
What a bloody brilliant answer!! Thanks for posting, I think I'm gonna like this forum a lot!!!

Just one question though.. how does an oil separator help avoid det?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a bloody brilliant answer!! Thanks for posting, I think I'm gonna like this forum a lot!!!

Just one question though.. how does an oil separator help avoid det?
Prevents oil blow by, you do not want oil getting on your plugs causing a weaker bang. Separators help prevent this and as such more power.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prevents oil blow by, you do not want oil getting on your plugs causing a weaker bang. Separators help prevent this and as such more power.
Ok, I get that, and fully understand the need for a separator on even a stock engine, but I worded my question poorly.. sorry

I should have written, "Why is the oil separator more important with a CAI and canned tune"?

I assume "canned" means off the shelf plug and play yeah?

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I get that, and fully understand the need for a separator on even a stock engine, but I worded my question poorly.. sorry

I should have written, "Why is the oil separator more important with a CAI and canned tune"?

I assume "canned" means off the shelf plug and play yeah?
Yes canned is off the shelf and are generally less safe and make less power. So its best to make you have best fuel and no way of that fuel being diluted hence the separator.

SCT, Ford are canned tunes and they make a nice improvement, but a Lund tune is like that improvement yet again.

Custom tuning is far more beneficial and that is service Lund offer via datalogging and remote tuning sessions to get the best safely from your car.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have MoTeC M150 with GPA pack for my race car, which in my opinion is the dogs danglies.. for less than £20K!!

Are any of the tunes currently available for the S550 tune-able on the dyno? We could really do with someone like EcuTek getting on board, maybe Mountune will come up with something? I'll bet some Aus company will put together a nice package as well? I've been reading some threads here about Lund, and am very interested..

OP
OP
bennno

bennno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
550 Comp Orange
Hi there

- Necessary fittings
- Ford canned tune

Answers appreciated, had been teetering on the Roush option as it seems to have an insert which makes it compatible with standard tune, or to remove and use with a tune.

Whats the likelyhood that the tune / procal will flash a UK car? If not then presumably I end up with the throttle body and cai, in which case where would I get a suitable remap in the UK.....

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Answers appreciated, had been teetering on the Roush option as it seems to have an insert which makes it compatible with standard tune, or to remove and use with a tune.

Whats the likelyhood that the tune / procal will flash a UK car? If not then presumably I end up with the throttle body and cai, in which case where would I get a suitable remap in the UK.....

Why would you want a UK remap, I most certainly would not, the Americans have like a 6yr head start with the Coyote engine, so I shall stick with reputable US tuners.

Lund is the best solution, you would need to buy a USA SCT X4 programmer, best play is Ebay or a nGauge. Once you have those cost of £200-£500 you need to then buy a Lund tune which is $200.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I went with the Roush for a couple of reasons...:)

Got a good deal from CJPP
It looks like a proper thing
I can leave the insert in, which I have done and can confirm that this CAI is not going to give anything with insert in and no tune...., but it still looks nice:D

Once the insert is out, and tuned it should be worth a few bhp...

This will be happening when I do my headers..:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Steeda or PMAS.

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Steeda intakes are in stock and ready to ship right here in the UK.

They look great, offer bolt on power, and come complete with a removable insert for maximum gains when combined with a tune.

steeda-proflow-mustang-cold-air-intake-manual-gt-2015-555-3193-2-zoom.jpg
Sponsored