Sponsored

Uhhh How Does This Happen!?

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
So, I will say before I point fingers I first noticed a weird, strange and almost like a flat tire noise while driving home on the interstate yesterday. It was jarring, almost came out of nowhere and felt like a flat tire. When I got home I immediately looked at the tires, and everything was fine. The sound persisted into this morning causing me to go around the tires. This time I noticed something odd. Not one, not two, but THREE lug nuts were missing from my back Driver wheel. Uhhh how does this happen!?

I live in a gated community that has done everything to target me for driving my Mustang. Furthermore, I wear a uniform that most people aren't fond of or appreciate. I can't help but be paranoid. Immediately when I showed my dad he cried foul play. Is this just possible one was loose, and the rest came with it!?

Also, where can I find replacement lug nuts!? What are the sizes!?
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Why are they targeting you for driving a Mustang?

Uniform? Cop? Firefighter?

How about getting a security cam pointed at your car?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I live in a gated community that has done everything to target me for driving my Mustang. Furthermore, I wear a uniform that most people aren't fond of or appreciate.
You'll have to explain more on these points.

Your gated community "targets" you for driving your Mustang? Why? How do they "target" you?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
And, yes, someone fucked with your car.

Most likely it's someone you know.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Losing one lug nut would not encourage any others (that were tightened properly) to come loose. Check the wheel and studs for damage. Install splined lugs so a basic vandal can't do this again without having a tool they likely won't have.

Sponsored

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
i am the same way bro.i to wear a blue uniform some dont like. i park my car right under the camera at the station and car stays in locked garage at home

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll have to explain more on these points.

Your gated community "targets" you for driving your Mustang? Why? How do they "target" you?
Many complains about 'noise' and fast 'driving'. None of which I'm dumb enough to do. We have been the brunt of much complaints because we are young, and don't participate in the community BS around here. My wife basically work and come home.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
It def sounds like you have some other issues going but I figured I would mention this story that happened to me:

Many, many years ago, I had a Mazdaspeed Protégé. It came with summer tires on the factory Racing Hart wheels. Winter was coming so I purchased another set of wheels with A/S tires. Everything was already mounted and balanced so I just needed to get them swapped over. Took the car to this warehouse club place called BJ's (first mistake). They had a pretty big auto shop and I figured this would be a simple and cheap wheel swap.

Apparently the manager was out sick and it was crazy busy. The guy that actually worked on my car didn't speak any English and was just going at the lug nuts with an air impact wrench at full blast. At some point I even saw him spray what appeared to be WD40 on the lugs/studs but it was from quite a distance so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Anyway, got the car back with my new wheels and tires and had to drive straight to my parents house for dinner (probably about a 20 mile drive). Everything was fine at first, then I got on the highway. Right away I start hearing/feeling this rhythmic vibration through the steering wheel. It steadily gets worse and worse. My assumption was that the wheels were not properly balanced and I would get it taken care of the next day.

It finally got so bad that I had to get off the highway and continue driving on backroads and slower speeds. Finally, about 1/2 mile from my parents house, I had to make a sharp left turn. As I'm making the turn, my front passenger wheel comes completely off of the car and rolls down the road, up an embankment, and onto the grass! My car drops onto the brake rotor. The back drivers side wheel is now about 1' up in the air!

Apparently the guy had completely destroyed the studs. That and WD40 did not help. As I was driving, I was losing lug nuts one by one, on multiple wheels. It just happened that that was the first to go. Thank god it happened on a slow speed turn and not on the highway!

Anyway, sorry for the long winded story. My point is, even for something as simple as a wheel swap, if someone doesn't know what they're doing, or doesn't torque things down correctly, this kind of crap can def happen. Not sure if you had any wheel/tire work done recently. I'm guessing you would have mentioned it if you did, but just something to keep in mind. Other than that, definitely get a camera pointed on your car ASAP.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I contacted apartment management. This issue has been around for at least a month.

What is the sizing for these lug nuts!? I need to order some more. I haven't checked to see if there was any damage to the actual car. I'm hoping not.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just contact any reputable Mustang aftermarket site that sells wheel/tire kits....the wheel/tire package I bought from LMR included a splined lug nut kit as part of the package. Just make sure that any lug set you buy is compatible with the OE wheels.....the seller should be able to verify for you.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It def sounds like you have some other issues going but I figured I would mention this story that happened to me:

Many, many years ago, I had a Mazdaspeed Protégé. It came with summer tires on the factory Racing Hart wheels. Winter was coming so I purchased another set of wheels with A/S tires. Everything was already mounted and balanced so I just needed to get them swapped over. Took the car to this warehouse club place called BJ's (first mistake). They had a pretty big auto shop and I figured this would be a simple and cheap wheel swap.

Apparently the manager was out sick and it was crazy busy. The guy that actually worked on my car didn't speak any English and was just going at the lug nuts with an air impact wrench at full blast. At some point I even saw him spray what appeared to be WD40 on the lugs/studs but it was from quite a distance so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Anyway, got the car back with my new wheels and tires and had to drive straight to my parents house for dinner (probably about a 20 mile drive). Everything was fine at first, then I got on the highway. Right away I start hearing/feeling this rhythmic vibration through the steering wheel. It steadily gets worse and worse. My assumption was that the wheels were not properly balanced and I would get it taken care of the next day.

It finally got so bad that I had to get off the highway and continue driving on backroads and slower speeds. Finally, about 1/2 mile from my parents house, I had to make a sharp left turn. As I'm making the turn, my front passenger wheel comes completely off of the car and rolls down the road, up an embankment, and onto the grass! My car drops onto the brake rotor. The back drivers side wheel is now about 1' up in the air!

Apparently the guy had completely destroyed the studs. That and WD40 did not help. As I was driving, I was losing lug nuts one by one, on multiple wheels. It just happened that that was the first to go. Thank god it happened on a slow speed turn and not on the highway!

Anyway, sorry for the long winded story. My point is, even for something as simple as a wheel swap, if someone doesn't know what they're doing, or doesn't torque things down correctly, this kind of crap can def happen. Not sure if you had any wheel/tire work done recently. I'm guessing you would have mentioned it if you did, but just something to keep in mind. Other than that, definitely get a camera pointed on your car ASAP.
And this is why I despise taking my car ANYWHERE for anything. I've found a reputable shop for doing tire changes and will stick to them. Mounting/changing wheels and any and all other maintenance is done by me.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Stop by your Ford dealer parts dept. and pick up new lug nuts for your Mustang. This is and over the counter fix.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can you see the car from your apartment? If so, train an (infrared to see at night)camera on the car. If that doesn't work-are there any garages in the apartment you rent/lease and be done worrying about the car.

What uniform are you referring to? Are you a LEO?

Finally, go to any H/O meetings so your voice can be heard.

Last edited:

VNTGSPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Lug nuts are M14 x 1.5

Should be able to get something at any autoparts or tire shop to get you on the road but they won't match the originals.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Get a set of Mcgard wheel lock/lugnuts, get a security cam, catch them in the act and report them to the authorities. Stealing wheels or vandalizing a car is one thing but purposely loosening someones lugnuts can be considered premeditated homicide. If your wheel or wheels come off when you're on the highway or a two lane road, it could easily be a fatal accident. I would take this matter very seriously. You wouldn't let someone get away with cutting your brake lines would you?
Sponsored