Sponsored

U.S. Alarm Systems - From Multiple Sources

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
I find the Security chapter in the U.S. owner's manual to be misleading, and I was thoroughly confused about the different alarm systems on the 2015-2017 mustang. After reading the 2016 European owner's manual, which has more detail on the different systems, as well as other sources and owners' experiences, I have compiled the information that I believe to be true for U.S. mustangs. As security systems are an auxiliary function, I assume the only differences between North American (U.S.) and European specification would be whether the features are offered as standard equipment or as an option.

Passive Anti-Theft System (aka SecuriLock): This prevents theft of the vehicle by someone trying to start the engine, in some way, other than by using a correctly coded key fob. It does not alert the owner by sounding the horn or flashing lights. The vehicle simply will not start. It is standard on all U.S. mustangs.

Perimeter Alarm: In the U.S. owner's manual, the description for this alarm is incorrectly titled "Anti-Theft Alarm (if equipped)." This alarm will sound the horn and flash the parking lights if someone opens the doors, hood, or the trunk. It is standard on all U.S. mustangs.

According to the European owner's manual, it also protects the audio unit.

For the 2014 mustangs, the perimeter alarm and interior/incline sensors were both part of the optional "Active Anti-Theft" system. I believe this is why the perimeter alarm is incorrectly labeled in the 2015-2017 owner's manual.

Active Anti-Theft System: As part of the Enhanced Security Package, this is the only security system offered as an optional factory upgrade. This option adds interior sensors, and presumably, incline (tilt) sensors to the standard perimeter alarm. Because the perimeter alarm is mislabeled in the owner's manual, there is subsequently no mention or description of these additional features.

I have neither seen any evidence from Ford regarding the tilt sensors on 2015-2017 mustangs, nor have I confirmed it on my own vehicle. However, incline sensors are mentioned in the 2014 owner's manual and I've seen several mentions of these sensors, in this forum, from '15-17 owners. Additionally, the UK mustangs have incline sensors, which is above the requirement to qualify for the Thatcham Category 1 rating (more on this below).

The 2014 owner's manual specifically states that the interior sensors are disabled when a convertible is armed while the top is down. One owner confirmed this on a 2015-2017 mustang (actual year unknown), while one 2015 owner's interior sensors remained active. As an owner of a 2017 convertible, I have not been able to trigger the interior sensors, while the top is down.

Integral Back-Up Battery: This feature sounds the alarm if either the main battery or the back-up battery are disconnected. I have not confirmed if any U.S. mustangs have this feature. However, the U.S. owner's manual contains a warning that references a possible second battery, under "Changing the 12V Battery" (around page 222). This feature is standard on all UK mustangs, but I don't know about other European mustangs.

Category One Alarm: Although it is not specifically defined in the European owner's manual, all UK mustangs come standard with an alarm system that meets the Thatcham Category 1 rating.

Thatcham Research is a European non-profit organization that rates automotive security systems for insurance companies. All Category 1 systems have the following features.

-Alarm with full perimetric (doors, hood, trunk) and volumetric (interior) detection
-Battery backed-up siren
-Immobilizer isolating a minimum of 2 operating systems, passively armed
-Anti-scan, anti-grab resistance of key codes

In addition, the 2015+ Mustang is listed by Thatcham as having the following features.

-Remote
-Transponder
-Software Lock
-Ultrasonic
-Central Locking
-Inclination

Dealer Installed Accessories:
-Perimeter Plus - Adds 2 stage shock sensor
-Remote Access - Adds smartphone compatibility
-LED Kit - Adds the blinking red light on the dashboard

2016 European Owner's Manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ang-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN_07_2015.pdf

Thatcham Research - UK Vehicle Security Listing:
https://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/Consumer/VS-April-2017.pdf

2014 U.S. Owner's Manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14musom1e.pdf

2017 North America Owner's Manual (Second Printing):
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...s-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_EN-CA_12_2016.pdf
Sponsored