Twin Turbo VS Supercharger

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
Hi All, about 1.5 years ago I purchased my GT350R. I was planning on upgrading the car but it did not happen at the time. I'm looking at it again but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

GEN 1 Voodoo, not GEN2. I hear Turbo is less stressful on the motor overall and less likely to blow the motor than a Supercharger. Also, I could just do a major build with RPG out of CA or FFRE out of Florida and stay NA.

Not sure the direction to go, but was curious about people's opinion.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Hi All, about 1.5 years ago I purchased my GT350R. I was planning on upgrading the car but it did not happen at the time. I'm looking at it again but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

GEN 1 Voodoo, not GEN2. I hear Turbo is less stressful on the motor overall and less likely to blow the motor than a Supercharger. Also, I could just do a major build with RPG out of CA or FFRE out of Florida and stay NA.

Anything can blow up, stock, turbo'd, or supercharged.

Since the motor is not spinning anything with twin turbos, that is where the "less stress" comes from. Pump 93, twin turbo, 8psi will get you damn near 750whp and you can chill there forever as long as you don't beat on it.

Tons of people put Whipple, ESS, Odin, Vortech, or Procharger and enjoy it. Same power potential, positive displacement superchargers give you more torque, and lots of people want that.

I would not go down the route of doing some crazy higher-compression NA motor build. IF you get an FFRE built voodoo, the sky is the limit on horsepower. Do not waste your money with a built motor to stay NA.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
Anything can blow up, stock, turbo'd, or supercharged.

Since the motor is not spinning anything with twin turbos, that is where the "less stress" comes from. Pump 93, twin turbo, 8psi will get you damn near 750whp and you can chill there forever as long as you don't beat on it.

Tons of people put Whipple, ESS, Odin, Vortech, or Procharger and enjoy it. Same power potential, positive displacement superchargers give you more torque, and lots of people want that.

I would not go down the route of doing some crazy higher-compression NA motor build. IF you get an FFRE built voodoo, the sky is the limit on horsepower. Do not waste your money with a built motor to stay NA.
Great advise, thanks... sounds like TT is a safer bet if I boost and do not build the motor.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I did the whipple setup on my old 20 350 with the pump gas tune. Car made 753 at the wheels. It drove like stock. Hellion is local to me and John was going to do a setup for me. Great guy and company. The power was very similar in output with the whipple having a little more bottom end. My biggest negative with the turboā€™s was I didnt care for how the actual installs looked. The lower setups were much better then the upper fronts. I did the internals as well and some other supporting mods. Made it a completely different car. The other thing is the whipple tune was very good straight out of the box and needed zero adjustments. I was after a worry free setup on readily available fuel any where.

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Great advise, thanks... sounds like TT is a safer bet if I boost and do not build the motor.
I will be doing a hellion twin turbo setup on my 350 next year. Pump gas 93, maybe some E85 when I can get my hands on it. It will be 8-9 psi and will be around 750-800 whp.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
I will be doing a hellion twin turbo setup on my 350 next year. Pump gas 93, maybe some E85 when I can get my hands on it. It will be 8-9 psi and will be around 750-800 whp.
What shop will you use for the build?

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Without measuring actual cylinder pressure, therein lies another clue as to turbos being easier on the motorā€¦8-9psi vs I think 12? to get the same rwhp in a PD blower.

@Inthehighdesert do you recall the boost pressure to make ~750?

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
What shop will you use for the build?
I am leaning towards HPJ Performance outside of St. Louis, MO. They are the predominant mustang/coyote shop in the area. Outside of that, maybe Killer Performance in Kansas City or STL Mustangs.

You're in the northeast, check out Evolution Performance. Top tier shop.

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Without measuring actual cylinder pressure, therein lies another clue as to turbos being easier on the motorā€¦8-9psi vs I think 12? to get the same rwhp in a PD blower.

Makes sense when part of the gain is immediately lost due to the power it takes to spin the blower.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Donā€™t quote me but I want to say it was 8-9lbs. I sold every thing last week and I gave him the dyno sheets to.

Sponsored

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84

Funny you ask about force feeding your voodoo. My friend just got his 2020 gt350 back last week with a Whipple. I see your in NH as are we. GO AUTO REPAIR in Nashua did the work. Look them up. The guy does 8 second GTRs. Best tuner around. Give then a call and ask them what they think. Farooq is the owner.
Sponsored