Sponsored

Twin scroll single turbo?

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
EDIT: According to fordauthority.com it's a GT22.

http://fordauthority.com/2013/12/2-...ustang-uses-twin-scroll-turbo-from-honeywell/

They also say it's unchanged from the MKC which isn't what Ford said... I'll try and find that article.
hopefully it's not a GT22. If it is, people are going to have to swap out for a bigger turbo if they want to see impressive gains. It's probably going to be like the Focus ST where the turbo itself is the biggest restriction and everything else is over-engineered.
Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
hopefully it's not a GT22. If it is, people are going to have to swap out for a bigger turbo if they want to see impressive gains. It's probably going to be like the Focus ST where the turbo itself is the biggest restriction and everything else is over-engineered.
I'd rather have a smaller turbo that gives me 90% of peak torque from 1500 RPM to redline then a larger turbo that has peak torque at 5000 RPM and takes 10 minutes to spool fast enough to build boost... If it peaks out at 350/350 at the wheels that is PLENTY for what I need, I don't need a 600/600 four cylinder.

FOURCED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVO ~800HP
Definitely a non-standard, reverse rotation turbo based on the pics in the link. Hopefully someone will start working on upgrades for that type of turbo because currently that stuff is VERY rare.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
I'd rather have a smaller turbo that gives me 90% of peak torque from 1500 RPM to redline then a larger turbo that has peak torque at 5000 RPM and takes 10 minutes to spool fast enough to build boost... If it peaks out at 350/350 at the wheels that is PLENTY for what I need, I don't need a 600/600 four cylinder.
A larger turbo doesn't mean that you will have peak torque at 5000 RPM, though. The GT22 is very small turbo, only slightly bigger than the K03 the Focus uses. It's also only rated for 280hp. I know it's not just about peak performance numbers, and the curve should be nice, but I'd like usable power all the way to the 6500rpm redline. The Focus ST runs out of steam around 5300rpm, and I'd just personally prefer a larger rev range.

As for 350/350 with full bolt ons, that might even end up on the high side. As of now intake, catback, high flow catted downpipe, tune, & FMIC on the 2.0 cars are making 245-260whp and 320-340ftlb of torque. If Ford does indeed use the GT22 turbo, I don't know if we'll be seeing anyone making more than 330whp without a turbo swap. I do think we might see really high torque numbers though. Ford's tune on the 2.0 bumps the torque up to 350ftlb to the flywheel, which in a fwd car isn't the best but would be a great fit for the Mustang.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's going to be an awesome motor straight out of the box, but I do think some people are overestimating the tunability of it. This is also assuming it uses a GT22, as only one source so far has commented on it.

Darth Lascivious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Lightning
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's going to be an awesome motor straight out of the box, but I do think some people are overestimating the tunability of it
That sentence is the one "Con" on my list that would keep me from ordering the I4 Mustang ST or whatever its being called. Let's hope that the aftermarket is as prepared as ever for the Mustang and we'll have a couple of options.

I left my previous car for a Mustang because after owning it for two years there was little to no aftermarket options for upgrading/tuning the engine.

Sponsored

the tank

Threads
Reaction score
That sentence is the one "Con" on my list that would keep me from ordering the I4 Mustang ST or whatever its being called. Let's hope that the aftermarket is as prepared as ever for the Mustang and we'll have a couple of options.

I left my previous car for a Mustang because after owning it for two years there was little to no aftermarket options for upgrading/tuning the engine.
It appears it's going to be a GT.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Yes it was in the 80s. The ST is a Focus/Fiesta thing.
for 2 years.. I hardly see them calling anything but the standard V8 a GT. I don't think it'll be called an ST, but I'd be really surprised if the V8 and turbo 4 share the same nameplate

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Here's a good diagram of how they work:

1. CAPTURE

Instead of escaping through the exhaust pipe, hot gases produced during combustion flow to the turbocharger. The cylinders inside an internal combustion engine fire in sequence (not all at once), so exhaust exits the combustion chamber in irregular pulses. Conventional single-scroll turbochargers route those irregular pulses of exhaust into the turbine in a way that causes them to collide and interfere with one another, reducing the strength of the flow. In contrast, a twin-scroll turbocharger gathers exhaust from pairs of cylinders in alternating sequence.
2. SPIN

The exhaust strikes the turbine blades, spinning them at up to 150,000 rpm. The alternating pulses of exhaust help eliminate turbo lag.
3. VENT

Having served their purpose, exhaust gases flow through an outlet to the catalytic converter, where they are scrubbed of
carbon monoxide, nitrous oxides and other pollutants before exiting through the tailpipe.
4. COMPRESS

Meanwhile, the turbine powers an air compressor, which gathers cold, clean air from a vent and compresses it to 30 percent above atmospheric pressure, or nearly 19 pounds per square inch. Dense, oxygen-rich air flows to the combustion chamber. The additional oxygen makes it possible for the engine to burn gasoline more completely, generating more performance from a smaller engine. As a result, the TwinPower engine generates 30 percent more power than a non-turbocharged one of the same size.
Where did you find this diagram? I've never seen a turbo like that before...

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Where did you find this diagram? I've never seen a turbo like that before...

Twin-scrolls have been around a while. I haven't seen them in factory applications but in my Audi days they were a popular upgrade.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Twin-scrolls have been around a while. I haven't seen them in factory applications but in my Audi days they were a popular upgrade.
I'm familiar with twin scrolls but the image you posted was not a twin scroll design that ive ever seen. It looks like it has two separate compressor and turbine housings...?

This link has a much better diagram and cutaway to understand how twin scrolls work:

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0906-twin-scroll-turbo-system-design/viewall.html

EVO 8s have twin scrolls from the factory.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My car is a twin-scroll.. hefty torque, right off idle.
Sponsored