Turn off mykey with only one key

RAD89GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard Davis
Vehicle(s)
18 gt, 89 gt, 85gt, 07 roush rc500 f150, 78 cobra
Does anyone on here know how to turn of this mykey. I recently purchased a 2018 mustang gt from a Kia dealer they only had one key for it. Well I wasn't sure what mykey was, long story short I activated it. 🤦‍♂️ now my local ford dealer wants $300 to turn it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
To my knowledge, no. Someone who knows Forscan may know some more, but generally key stuff is very secure and requires dealer-level security access or 3rd party subscription access.

MyKey requires one admin key to turn off, so the dealer will need to either program another key and turn off MyKey or erase all keys programmed and only program the key provided and a new key. Either way, you definitely should have 2 keys as all Fords come with a minimum of 2 keys from the factory.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, it's not possible. If it were, then the entire concept of MyKey would be worthless. You really need an admin key.
The dealer will pair a fresh key with your car, which will become the admin key and will be used to deactivate MyKey. The good thing is, you'll have two keys from then on, as you should have had from the beginning.

OP
OP
RAD89GT

RAD89GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard Davis
Vehicle(s)
No, it's not possible. If it were, then the entire concept of MyKey would be worthless. You really need an admin key.
The dealer will pair a fresh key with your car, which will become the admin key and will be used to deactivate MyKey. The good thing is, you'll have two keys from then on, as you should have had from the beginning.
Thats what I was afraid of. The dealer wants $185 for the key. Is there somewhere to get another one cheaper that will work? I have read that some of the keys online may or may not be able to be programmed

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Yes you are able to buy a blank key and program it. I grabbed one off amazon and watched a youtube video on how to do it a few years ago.
Will an old key work or programmed as an admin key for another car? I still have one of the keys from my old gt that I forgot to give to the dealership which is now useless.

OP
OP
RAD89GT

RAD89GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard Davis
Vehicle(s)
Will an old key work or programmed as an admin key for another car? I still have one of the keys from my old gt that I forgot to give to the dealership which is now useless.
Good question, I'll try to find out

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
It can be programed to work

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I only got 1 key when I bought my car used from a dealer but the dash says there are 2 admin keys and that's always bothered/scared me since I have no idea where that key is. I wish there was a way to reset keys on our own, but I'm guessing that's also a dealer type thing.

I should go and do that soon and also just get a second key just to have a backup (and avoid these MyKey issues).

But also I figure even if I got one of those keys online from a 3rd party and programmed it myself to save money, I'd still need the dealer or someone else to actually cut the key portion for the car.

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I was just saying if anyone needs a key I got a spare one for a penny. I don't need it if you can program it to work as an admin key or whatever. My old gt was an auto. I can mail it to u.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium convertible
A few things about Ford transponder keys... with a couple rare exceptions, no Ford will crank and run without two keys programmed. If you have only one key in your possession, there is another out there that will start the car. The maximum number of keys varies. Ford keys are re-usable. Meaning, one key can be programmed to multiple cars. Over the years they have gone from 40 bit, 80 bit, and 128 bit encryption. All of our push-button-start Mustangs are 128 bit. The transponders are cross compatible but the keyless entry is not. If you program a key with a different number of buttons it will start the car but remote entry will not work. Generally speaking. There may be exceptions.

If your only key is a MyKey you have to have an Admin key programmed to turn off MyKey. As a locksmith, my programmer can erase all keys and start from scratch or add keys whether the existing keys are present or not. Since they are re-usable I can add one as an Admin key, turn off the MyKey, and either sell the key or put it back on the shelf. If money is an issue, maybe you can find a locksmith willing to just turn off your MyKey. I would assume most will only sell you a new Admin key. I would not recommend having only one key anyway.
Sponsored