Sponsored

Turbosmart BOV Boost Issues

DMRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost | Magnetic Metallic
I installed a set of Maperformance charge pipes with the Turbosmart Supersonic Smart Port BOV. I love the quality of the BOV and the pipes, however the blow off valve did not seem to be making the proper noise upon install. My dad, who helps me work on all of my cars, installed a variable switch on the vacuum line running to the bov. When this switch is turned almost fully off, the valve in it would be closed, I assume less vacuum is making it to the BOV and it seems to function like it should. I'm planning to have the car professionally tuned come this spring and add a downpipe. So I wanted to make sure everything is actually functioning properly and not just rigged to work together.

My belief is that the BOV should function properly with full vacuum and not need the reduction switch that I have in place. When the switch is in the full open position there is really no traditional blow off noise, just the sound of a lot of air being sucked in when on the throttle. When I let off the throttle the intake noise stops and that is it. I hooked up my Cobb Accessport and monitored the boost, max boost with the vacuum line at full pressure read out at about 16psi. When I restricted the vacuum line to approximately an 1/8 of the pressure max boost was 21.49psi.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've searched the forum and haven't found a similar issue. The BOV is set to the softest setting as I've seen is recommended in other threads. I will try to take some pictures and videos of the issue and upload those here.

Additional Mod Info:
MBRP Catback
Mishimoto Catch Can
ATM Intercooler
Cobb Accessport running stage 1 93 octane tune
Stock Air Intake and Filter

The line outlined in green is where I teed into the vacuum, the line with the orange line is the vacuum line running to the BOV
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150557396@N07/shares/z3vN93

Here is a closeup of the tee in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150557396@N07/shares/Kg4e4k

Sorry about the URLs, I could not get the photos to embed
Sponsored

Last edited:

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Remove the vacuum switch. Why would you even install that in the first place?

OP
OP
DMRD

DMRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove the vacuum switch. Why would you even install that in the first place?
I installed it because the BOV was not working properly. With the switch removed there is just a massive intake noise and no blow off. It doesn't build boost properly, only building 13lbs in normal boost and 16lbs when running over boost.

When the vacuum switch is installed and fairly restricted it actually builds boost and blows off like it should. Could the spring in the BOV be too soft?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Where did you tee into a vacuum source at? A BOV is a fairly simple mechanical device that doesn't need any kind of rigging. You tee into a proper vacuum source to feed it and that's pretty much it. If you've got the valve set to be too soft, then it could be opening under boost pressure and venting boost (massive intake noise). Take some pics so everyone can see what you've done here. It's hard to diagnose things blindly on the internet without some good details and pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DMRD

DMRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you tee into a vacuum source at? A BOV is a fairly simple mechanical device that doesn't need any kind of rigging. You tee into a proper vacuum source to feed it and that's pretty much it. If you've got the valve set to be too soft, then it could be opening under boost pressure and venting boost (massive intake noise). Take some pics so everyone can see what you've done here. It's hard to diagnose things blinding on the internet without some good details and pics.
That was what I thought based on my understanding of turbo cars. I am brand new to turbo cars, so some of the concepts are still a little foreign to me. The previous cars I have owned have all been NA and many were carbureted.

I updated my original posts with some links to photos on Flickr. Let me know if there are any other pictures you would like, or different angles you need. The line was the one indicated in the instructions that I should tee into.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what line you tapped into for the BOV but it doesn't look right. Best to use the line right behind the TB and Tee into it like this...

22517912009_46c1bd0182_h.jpg

you will need to remove the engine cover to get to this and set it up.

you can also buy the TurboSmart BOV tap they sell which does the same as the photo I posted but is a lot more bolt in and go..

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...-Reference-Adapter-Ford-Mustang-EcoBoost.html

OP
OP
DMRD

DMRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what line you tapped into for the BOV but it doesn't look right. Best to use the line right behind the TB and Tee into it like this...

22517912009_46c1bd0182_h.jpg

you will need to remove the engine cover to get to this and set it up.

you can also buy the TurboSmart BOV tap they sell which does the same as the photo I posted but is a lot more bolt in and go..

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...-Reference-Adapter-Ford-Mustang-EcoBoost.html
Thanks for your input. I will attempt to change the vacuum line here in the next couple of days, depending on if the weather cooperates with my plans, and update the situation.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took a look at my car to compare and it appears you used the line coming out of the back of the intake. I believe that line has a one way valve or restrictor built in (round plastic piece you can see in your pics). The Mechanical valves need a Boost source with volume to operate properly.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Your problem is where you tapped into that vacuum source. Tap into the same location that PewterCam is showing in his pic and it'll work just fine. Those lines on the back of the manifold have check valves on them, and in the absence of boost pressure to operate the BOV under boost, the BOV plunger will be pushed up and vent your boost pressure.

If you have to drive it, just be easy on it and don't drive it aggressively.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I took a look at my car to compare and it appears you used the line coming out of the back of the intake. I believe that line has a one way valve or restrictor built in (round plastic piece you can see in your pics). The Mechanical valves need a Boost source with volume to operate properly.
You tree'd me, lol. I was typing my reply as you posted your reply. The line location he used is definitely the problem. It looks like he got on the side of the check valve that doesn't see boost pressure.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DMRD

DMRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help guys, it is most appreciated. I was able to get the vacuum lines changed around this afternoon and everything is working as it should now.

PICANTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost pp
I was having the same problem, changed the line to how PewterCam has it set up. Thank you guys for the help as well!

EnFOURcer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turbosmartusa.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, 2015 5.0, 2007 GT500, 2014 Tremor