OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Here's my info for you.
I have a Lund tune, when I first prototyped the headers for ARH I did 3 100% stock baseline dyno pulls. Average was 454 rwhp at Watson racings dynojet.
This was on 93 octane Sunoco.

I installed my headers and went back to watson for 3 more dyno pulls.
Still on stock tune, still on the same tank of 93 and still 100% stock minus the headers and catless x pipe.
On the same dyno I pulled 485 rwhp.

I then installed Lunds tune for a stock CAI.
I couldn't get the tune to take on the first try, it took 3 tries to finally accept. Once I finished installing the tune we tried a dyno pull. On this pull it sparked knocked and the dyno operator shut it down. I contacted Lund and found out that beefcake sent Lund the wrong info and sent me a 5.0 tune. I was pretty pissed to say the least. Not only with beefcake but also with John lunds attitude because he felt as if Watson racing was judging him (which they were not in anyway judging him) in fact they praised him and very much liked the Ngauge.

But johns attitude on the phone was questioning me as to why I had my car on watsons dyno and why I was checking out his tune. What he couldn't understand is that nobody was doubting his tune but something wasn't right and when he looked into the info he noticed I was sent the 5.0 tune and that is why it ran like shit.
After he emailed me the correct tune and I loaded it into my car I went from 485 to 511 rwhp. This is still on the same day. Same fuel. Same dyno. Pretty impressive. He then sent me a tune for the JLT intake. I installed the JLT and dynoed it again. This time I pulled a 512 rwhp. Off came the JLT and in my garage cabinet it sits.

Since then I switch to 100 octane Sunoco 260 GT race gas that I run exclusively. I did some data logging on the 100 octane and John sent me 3 additional tunes. I went back to Watson and dynoed it again this time pulling 534 rwhp.
534 rwhp on 100 octane, stock CAI, ARH long tubes, catless x pipe, stock mufflers. I'm happy with it.

My advice is do NOT BUY from any vendor no matter what!
And if you have access to higher octane gas use it. You can use 98-100+ race gas and the computer will add timing until it detects knock. This also increases hp. And I'm talking on a stock tune. Not a aftermarket tune. So if your concerns are warranty stick with a stock tune and run the highest race fuel you can get. Or get a tune directly from Lund.
Thank you very much. Tune and headers looks great. Headers alone though make a significant difference.
Sponsored

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
Man - just the headers along makes a huge difference eh?
They do for sure and I could feel the immediate difference without the tune. Honestly, I expected a hair more power from the tune based off what I'd seen.....

Last edited:

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Not a fan of the Lund tune above e50. tone and overall driving experience wise. I get all the low end torque at e50, without the backfires, surging before oil is at 180 degrees, and the bizarre loss of the cool gurgles and pops under deceleration. Lund told me it was because it runs richer however if I went straight e85 I would dyno tune all the way and probably get bigger injectors.

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a fan of the Lund tune above e50. tone and overall driving experience wise. I get all the low end torque at e50, without the backfires, surging before oil is at 180 degrees, and the bizarre loss of the cool gurgles and pops under deceleration. Lund told me it was because it runs richer however if I went straight e85 I would dyno tune all the way and probably get bigger injectors.
Best I'll get is 93/94 octane.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Agree. e50 seems to be the sweet spot. All of the ethanol power and none of the (albeit minor) funkiness

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honestly then I wouldn't bother, Octane is what the car needs and you can do it on the stock tune. On e-50 its a different car.
Sorry brother, what do you mean 'do it on the stock tune' - do what?

Is it not worth tuning for 93/94 octane? Or do you mean just go with headers/x-pipe?

Mizark347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What's the difference in the calibration file for a flex fuel vs straight E85 tune? I have tuning experience with my old generation mustangs but have recently sold my E85 03 cobra for a 17' GT350. If you have a tune that's written for strictly E85, won't the new capability of these cars learn the strategy if you put in let's say E50? And in essence be flex fuel capabile? I would appreciate any feedback on this topic. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Sorry brother, what do you mean 'do it on the stock tune' - do what?

Is it not worth tuning for 93/94 octane? Or do you mean just go with headers/x-pipe?
I would not take the risk of loading a 93 octane tune on my ecu, risk versus reward. I would however load a custom dyno tune on 93 if , and only if I had long tubes and it was a professional dyno tune.

I just dont think the gain is there with a canned tune for 93 when the stock tune is already pretty aggressive with timing.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Where in the fudge r u guys getting E50 ?

I have E15 gas near be but that is about it.
I use a ethanol calculator app and fill up with e85 and 93 from a known station, it keeps me consistently between 45-55 percent when inferred from the O2 sensors.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
What's the difference in the calibration file for a flex fuel vs straight E85 tune? I have tuning experience with my old generation mustangs but have recently sold my E85 03 cobra for a 17' GT350. If you have a tune that's written for strictly E85, won't the new capability of these cars learn the strategy if you put in let's say E50? And in essence be flex fuel capabile? I would appreciate any feedback on this topic. Thanks!
Largest difference is the ability to map different tables and AFR to the inferred ALC percentage. How it does that however is beyond me. Many good tuners (Ken at PBD for example) do not think the flex fuel tunes are worth a shit, I like the lund but only at e50 ish on my car.