Sponsored

Tune Experts Please

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
So I have an e-mail tune from a supplier that I won't name here. I data-logged the tune and i'm getting large amounts of negative knock (-5 to -8.5) but the timing is only at 26 degrees. I've seen people comment that their tunes are pulling 30 to 31 degrees.

I sent the data-log in and this is the response I got...

It stabilizes at -1 degree. That is where we usually like to leave them. Adding 1 more degree would not net any more timing... it would just end up neutral instead of adding 1. In any case, it is going to make the same amount of power.

Is there anyone that would look at the file and give me a second opinion or is the above statement accurate.

Thank You
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Are you running E85 or 93?

30-31 is normal for E85
26 is good for 93.

The above statement is correct that adding 1 more would not net any more timing if you were at -1. You would just be at 0 with the same ignition advance as the system pushes the advance from the borderline table value toward the MBT table until it runs into the actual borderline of knock for the fuel you are running. Over simplified explanation.

The goal with your ignition advance is MBT, but you will usually get knock before that value. MBT is the timing that will produce the most torque. In the stock tune for E10 fuel Ford set the MBT tables around 27-28* in the high load /RPMs. I'm sure they did extensive testing with high octane fuel to find that number. E85 fuel burns slower than E10. This moves the MBT value to a higher value thats why 31* is better for E85. With E85s knock resistance is possible to get closer to the fuels MBT value.

Put a .csv up on datazap.me and share it or just add .txt to the end of the file and share it here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I agree with Mark, that is normal timing range unless you have some really good 93 octane fuel.

Your logs won't load though.

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
Negative numbers are adding timing
Positive numbers are pulling timing

So you are not getting knock, your tune is adding timing

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
That log is fine.
From the file name i'm guessing you have a steeda intake and cat deletes.

http://www.datazap.me/u/markmurfe/log-1494070357?log=0&data=1-5-8-25&solo=5-25

Heres my log with a steeda intake and stock cats on the 92 octane to compare. It shows what the knock and spark does if you try adding more timing. note your pull starts at 3000rpms and mine starts at 2200rpms. My engine coolant were slightly lower which is probably the 1* difference.