Sponsored

Trip to Tail of The Dragon / thoughts on handling

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wow!

Overall the car was phenomenal. It drove like it weighed at least 1,000 pounds less. Initial turn in was spectacular and with just a tiny bit of understeer on the exit. The car rotated so well.

The noises this car makes are beyond words. Never really got much past 5k, but the sounds getting there were simply incredible. Down shifts and light throttle deceleration noises were almost criminal. The popping and banging scares wildlife and fellow drivers.

I was constantly surprised by how much attention and respect the car got. Our group included a North American development manager for a major German brand's tuning group and he raved about what Ford was doing and how it was a true sports car.

image.jpg
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
It's an amazing place to test these cars out, for sure. Love the pic vendors road side!

I took my GT when it only had a stb and it was fun! I want to go again. About a 3 hour ride there.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That would be the dream place to take a 350. Thanks for the review!

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
The tail is no joke. You work for your excitement with this one. Not to mention the crap shoot the NCSHP does now and then on the unsuspecting.

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
Want to do this, need to figure out best time when the leaves change color.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The tail is no joke. You work for your excitement with this one. Not to mention the crap shoot the NCSHP does now and then on the unsuspecting.
I guess the only way to beat that would be to do this in groups of 3 cars with radios. Lead ahead, you, and a car trailing.

What do people do besides hope for the best?

theman1990

1 arm, 4 cars, 0 autos
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech, GT350R
Want to do this, need to figure out best time when the leaves change color.
NOOOOO!!! You will HATE it then because every octogenarian in the US converges there in their RV's to go 2.7 mph and point at all the leaves!!! Absolute WORST time to have fun at the dragon. Best time is late summer/early fall on a Wednesday morning. Will have least traffic and least revenue enhancement stations.

voodoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 21 X6M50i, 74 Bronco, 21 Tremor, 79 C10
I did the Dragon in my gt350 back in July. It really lives up to the hype, if you go when traffic is light. I spent 5 days in the area and put almost 800 miles on my car down there. My most enjoyable time was to get up and go before 6 am. Hardly no cars on the roads early in the morning. The Dragon is only a small part of the awesome driving roads in the area. The Foothills Parkway is a great road leading to he Tail, also the road heading east past Fontana Dam. Only saw one cop on the Tail, and he was on a tight curve, just showing his presence. Stayed in second gear a majority of the time. Lots of redline pulls. I did hit limp mode about halfway through one time though. First and only time in 4,000 miles. If any members are able to go, I highly recommend it. Well worth the trip!

tacarlson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 track pack, triple yellow OTT stripes
If you are in the area, US 421 from Mountain City, Tn to Holston Valley, Tn is a really great road too. This past Memorial Day weekend, I drove both US421 & Tail of the Dragon. Hopefully I will do it again later this fall, after the leaves are down.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I would like to plan a trip around November to do Tail of the Dragon. Is there a nice area not far where I can get a cabin or something maybe take the wife and do 3 or 4 days? I'm a 10 hour drive from there.

My buddy from Tennessee recommended Gaitlinburg to stay and get a cabin.

Any recommendations on how to plan a trip for this?

Sponsored

voodoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 21 X6M50i, 74 Bronco, 21 Tremor, 79 C10
I would like to plan a trip around November to do Tail of the Dragon. Is there a nice area not far where I can get a cabin or something maybe take the wife and do 3 or 4 days? I'm a 10 hour drive from there.

Map to the address
17548 Tapoco Rd
Robbinsville, NC 28771

This is the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort, which is the southern/eastern end of the Tail. It's pretty remote on that side of the Smokey Mountains. Gatlinburg is good, so is Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. From Gatlinburg, you almost have to come up and over the mountain range, which is one congested highway, but lots of pull offs with beautiful views. I stayed at an RV resort in Pigeon Forge. I took 321 South through Townsend and Walland to the Foothills Parkway and then headed South to the Tail. Came back through Robbinsville and Cherokee, then North on 441 through the park back to Pigeon Forge. Not many nice places to stay on south end of park.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I did the Tail in a rental Honda Accord after airlining into Nashville. Even in a Honda it was a great. Santa Monica Mountain roads still give nothing away. The hard part about the road is the constant change in illumination, check the following video. From bright sun to the shade from all the trees.
Gatlinburg is definitely a tourist town.

btw... Just use caution if a Miata gets on your tail :) Full discloser, previous owner of 2 skateboards ;)
[ame]

Docofthebay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue stripes
I've done the Dragon several times in a 911S, then an AMG, now with my 350. The 350 was by far the best!
Another great ride very close to the Dragon is the Cherohala Skyway. It's about 50 miles of high altitude turns with great views. Not as intense as the Dragon, but still a must-do
There are thousands of rooms within 20 miles to stay in. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are close touristy towns, Townsend nice as well. My favorite is about three miles from the Dragon, Tapoco Lodge. It is a fully renovated high end Bed and Breakfast. Rooms will be about $200 but the experience is amazing and right in the middle of all the great roads.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB

Here are a few palaces...
http://www.gapmiatas.com/lodging.htm

This place is pretty cool too: https://www.hotels.com/hotel/detail...om-0-adults=2&ZSX=0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
The dragon is right here in my backyard pretty much. Really enjoyed it in my 2015 GT and I can't wait to hit it up when I get my GT350!
Sponsored