Sponsored

Tremec vs Ben calimer

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Great first hand experience thank you for sharing. How's the normal shift quality compared between the two? Gear clash/nibble when cold or improved over mt82?
To me the stg3 calimer still feels like the stock mt82. Yes, gear clash/nibbles when cold. Ie. Clunky. But once warm, buttery smooth. I'm running the recommended amsoil. I've never missed a shift with my stg3 vs stock I was having trouble at times shifting into 3rd fast. And it was Macleod rst on stock mt82 and now rxt.
Sponsored

ForeverDrivin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang Coyote Swapped
My '97 Coyote swap just got a TREMEC TKX behind it and it grinds under power at low RPM, in nearly any gear. The grind is definitely build-related, it sounds like there is improper engagement of the gears or lack of oil where oil should be (yes it is full of recommended oil lol). Multiple shops have quoted the same thing as the noise sounding like a build quality issue.

I will be having to take my whole drivetrain out again just to have the warranty work done. If it grinds again I will be going with a Calimer. Shame, because I like the notchy, newer feel of the TKX shifts when I keep it above the grinding speed. The "short throw" shifter Tremec provides is not that short though.

Take that info how you will.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Calimer did buy my MT82 core for $500. At first my money was sent to the wrong place, then after multiple follow-ups it was finally corrected.
Great first hand experience thank you for sharing. How's the normal shift quality compared between the two? Gear clash/nibble when cold or improved over mt82?
It’s a big beefy trans and it drives like one. When cold it’s a bit notchy and feels a bit tighter going into gear. Just need to give it a bit more effort. Once warmed up, the shift quality improves. I will say, it shifts better when beating on it compared to when you’re just driving miss daisy around town. At the track I shift at 7800 and it doesn’t complain one bit.

OP
OP

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Calimer did buy my MT82 core for $500. At first my money was sent to the wrong place, then after multiple follow-ups it was finally corrected.

It’s a big beefy trans and it drives like one. When cold it’s a bit notchy and feels a bit tighter going into gear. Just need to give it a bit more effort. Once warmed up, the shift quality improves. I will say, it shifts better when beating on it compared to when you’re just driving miss daisy around town. At the track I shift at 7800 and it doesn’t complain one bit.
How’s the noice of the transmission? Is the transmission noice noticeable?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just bought a Magnum XL for my build. Also have an xineering gcu-h module to do wot shifts and throttle blip downshifts. 2.66 first and .50 6th (aka viper gears). Should be fun.

I poo poo the calimer idea after I saw a few of the problems some guys ran into. Just a bad look and I don't want to be got

Last edited:

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Here is me shifting the stg 3. This is as fast as I can shift without the no lift shift wot box that I haven't hooked up yet.

And yes, I have bias ply tires on with 20" front radials. Yes, it's all over the place. Lol. I don't go to the track much, so don't care.

Also, this run was a shitty launch but the only one I got on camera. Launched at 4k. Needed 5k. I made 4 runs that day and best was 10.3 @ 145. I'm guessing with an aggresive launch it should run a high 9 at least.

ForeverDrivin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang Coyote Swapped
I just bought a Magnum XL for my build. Also have an xineering gcu-h module to do wot shifts and throttle blip downshifts. 2.66 first and .50 6th (aka viper gears). Should be fun.

I poo poo the calimer idea after I saw a few of the problems some guys ran into. Just a bad look and I don't want to be got
My TKX grinds out of the box, I recommend recording all of your measurements when you index your bellhousing. Should make any needed warranty work easier to get. Of course I hope you don't need it! But disappointment fell on me with my $5k grinder setup. Good luck đź‘Ť
Sponsored