Sponsored

Transmission Problem: Heads Up!

Diel11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 GR Supra, 2020 Grabber Lime Track Pack, 1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R
Per my dealer the seal/o-ring kit is backordered until 11/22. I took mine in for the air snorkel (was pinched) and oil sending unit wires and they looked at the transmission line. It was showing signs of fluid leaking again.

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Per my dealer the seal/o-ring kit is backordered until 11/22. I took mine in for the air snorkel (was pinched) and oil sending unit wires and they looked at the transmission line. It was showing signs of fluid leaking again.
Thanks for the info. Glad you caught yours early.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I've had to replace 10+ failed helicoils over the years and will only use Timeserts now. If they decide to repair the threads instead of replacing the transmission it may be worth seeing if that's an option.

Best of luck getting her fixed and back on the road!

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
I've had to replace 10+ failed helicoils over the years and will only use Timeserts now. If they decide to repair the threads instead of replacing the transmission it may be worth seeing if that's an option.

Best of luck getting her fixed and back on the road!
Tech is going to submit to Ford and push for a new transmission. We will see what their first response is.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I took mine in for the air snorkel (was pinched)...
I've pulled the entire airbox twice now for cleaning, etc. Both times I noticed that it was tricky to align the inlet that is attached to the fascia assembly and the snorkel that protrudes from the airbox. One fits inside the other and if you don't align them carefully, they will fold over each other but still allow the airbox to fit into place. You have to pay attention to this and take a look even if you think you did everything right. Is this the issue you are mentioning or did you have a harness in the way similar to what Tom had?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If every ounce of fluid wasnt required for operation, why would it be in there, why would it be monitored, why would there be an indicator when it went low. Absoloutley fight for a new trans, there is no logical reason to not think somethign was damaged. DCt Auto Manual etc, high speed high tq metal on metal no lubrication no heat dispersion.. you dont wanna end up with the bill on a new DCT that you cant even buy yet..

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
If every ounce of fluid wasnt required for operation, why would it be in there, why would it be monitored, why would there be an indicator when it went low. Absoloutley fight for a new trans, there is no logical reason to not think somethign was damaged. DCt Auto Manual etc, high speed high tq metal on metal no lubrication no heat dispersion.. you dont wanna end up with the bill on a new DCT that you cant even buy yet..
100% agree, that’s the plan. I think this dealer wants the same. Hopefully Ford will do the right thing without a fight.

Sponsored

Diel11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 GR Supra, 2020 Grabber Lime Track Pack, 1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R
I've pulled the entire airbox twice now for cleaning, etc. Both times I noticed that it was tricky to align the inlet that is attached to the fascia assembly and the snorkel that protrudes from the airbox. One fits inside the other and if you don't align them carefully, they will fold over each other but still allow the airbox to fit into place. You have to pay attention to this and take a look even if you think you did everything right. Is this the issue you are mentioning or did you have a harness in the way similar to what Tom had?
Mine was like you said. The part from the airbox was not aligned properly so the rubber was folded into the snorkel area. You could see the rubber out of place if you looked from the bumper in. Wiring harness was fine.

MPRR11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2015 F150 ecoboost, 2014 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang GT
Last Sunday, we finally had some decent weather so I decided to go for a drive. After a short 15 minute drive, I encountered a major problem.

While stopped at a light, I looked up to see a massive white cloud in the rear view mirror. I was instantly worried and checked for a dummy light. Nothing popped up yet.

Light went green and I proceeded. Well, the cloud got a lot bigger and followed me. Then all the dummy lights came on. I found the first safe turn off and got off the road.

I found a long trail of what I assumed was oil. Looked under the car to find a massive leak. Then called the wrecker.

Today, I was able to get it on a lift at work and was able to find the problem. A tranny line lost its bolt and it puked out all of it’s fluid. Line also looks pinched/dinged from when the bolt launched off.

Needless to say, I’m not touching this issue. My girl is off to a stealership for repair. Everyone might want to check their lines for loose bolts.

On a side note, while waiting for the wrecker, a matching GT500 pulled up and I made a new friend. A gentleman living just 2 short miles from me as a matching CFTP FPB with painted OTT stripes. Only had his for 4 days. What a small world.

I’ll keep you posted on how Ford takes care of this issue.

7D435C06-A9DB-466E-A929-8F3395372396.jpeg

684ED0B1-6557-41F1-BA6D-1C7E7E62283B.jpeg

05FD2D25-D444-4A8C-9652-003B7374166C.jpeg

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sorry to hear, they should replace the trans no questions asked.

MPRR11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2015 F150 ecoboost, 2014 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang GT
So I have 1800 miles and my return line for my tranny was leaking enough to puddle and leaked while It was running. Didn’t lose anywhere near the fluid Big John did. Been to my local dealer and replaced the set of seals, one is plastic and the other is rubber. Still leaked. It looks like the line was bent or enough pressure was applied somewhere in the line and It won’t line up correctly to seat. So we bent the tab where the bolt attaches and I get one drip per night. Ordered a new line and as soon as It arrives back to the dealer. At least this time I won’t have to have it put up on flatbed.

822EEAD7-926D-41C9-82A4-45B0884E3644.jpeg
Sponsored