Sponsored

Trailer straps?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I have a new 26' enclosed trailer that I will be using to transport my 350 to and from the track (i used to drive it). I also have a '13 Boss and a 69 Firebird that I will be hauling from time to time. The trailer currently has 4 D-rings in the floor to attach straps. Any input on which straps to buy and what length? I have heard that it is best to run the straps through the wheel instead of around the axle/frame so the cars suspension can still work. Thoughts?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't trailer my Mustang, don't even have a truck and trailer anymore, sadly, but with my classic Lincoln, I chocked the wheels on the side of the D-ring, use a big wide strap on through the wheel (seem to always be yellow), and hooked to the opposite side of the trailer from that wheel. I also, because this particular car had 900' of suspension travel, tied down the car at the frame to strategically-placed rings so it wouldn't bounce upward much and upset the trailer when it came down. I have no idea of this was the safest route, but that car was much heavier than an S550 and it didn't budge. :)

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
A little E track is a great way to go. Random internet photo credit to Robison in Sprinfield MA but gives you the idea. Straps are inexpensive from autohauler supply. Works on anything from Miata to mustang. Straps don't loosen and you don't have to crawl under car.
IMG_0201.jpg

Sponsored

rfrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 White/Blue Track Pack
FP Tie Down Kit

I have a new 26' enclosed trailer that I will be using to transport my 350 to and from the track (i used to drive it). I also have a '13 Boss and a 69 Firebird that I will be hauling from time to time. The trailer currently has 4 D-rings in the floor to attach straps. Any input on which straps to buy and what length? I have heard that it is best to run the straps through the wheel instead of around the axle/frame so the cars suspension can still work. Thoughts?

made for 6G Mustang frame, bought mine from Steeda--

https://www.steeda.com/ford-performance-mustang-s550-tie-down-kit-15-17-161-m-1700-m.html

(Will need to notch Steeda Jacking Rail at front if used with this kit)

Have used Ancra straps for motorcycles with hooks at both ends, high quality but you can also buy heavy ratcheting straps at Harbor Freight or your local Wally World.

Don't like the wheel strap kits for cars on all four wheels, too much suspension movement. Expensive and much harder to load.

KISS to start, customize to fit you applications as you go.

Spend the big money for a winch system to allow you to load vehicles by yourself without hitting wheel boxes inside trailer. Much more of a challenge than using simple tie down system.

Nice Machines--Good Luck & ENJOY:ford:!

mitchell21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looks great! Thanks for the picture.
Can you share placement details and contact info to purchase?
Sponsored