Sponsored

Track Only Tires/Wheels for an R, Sizes?

alevine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Porsche GT3, '15 BMW M3, '17 GT350R, '05 997
I am looking to purchase a set of Forgeline's for the track. My car will be stored at the track so I will remove the 350R carbon fiber wheels and store them for future use. I plan to run a set of Hoosier R7's or the like on a set of Forgeline's.

The question is do I purchase the Forgeline's in R spec sizes or something else? I'm curious what track junkies have done and what sizes they are running??

I plan to install the Vorshlag camber plates as well.

Curious to hear your input.

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's up to you. You can do r sizes or you can do a 19x11+50 square and run a 305 or 315 square and rotate your tires.

All you'd need is a bolt on 25mm adapter on the front

I have a 19x10.5 square setup with 305s.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think a 315 will fit front and someone mentioned they stuffed a 335 in the rear with a bit of offset convincing.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I have a seen a few tracking a 315 squared setup (PS2's)with good feedback. I have Forgeline GA1R 19x11's but R offsets for front and rear. Still deciding on tires.

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have a seen a few tracking a 315 squared setup (PS2's)with good feedback. I have Forgeline GA1R 19x11's but R offsets for front and rear. Still deciding on tires.
If you're not getting slicks get the RE71R. I have used the hankook rs3, pilot sport and nto1 on this car.

The Bridgestone are great.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Doesn't matter

You could do a 315 front and a 335 rear but your handling will suffer.

Square setups on this car really do wonders
So you are saying that the Ford engineers didn't know what they were doing and they messed up putting a staggered tire setup on their best handling car?

Sorry, but you're going to need to do a heck of a lot better than a statement like that in order for me to take your word over that of the engineers. They obviously believed that staggered was the best way to go.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So you are saying that the Ford engineers didn't know what they were doing and they messed up putting a staggered tire setup on their best handling car?

Sorry, but you're going to need to do a heck of a lot better than a statement like that in order for me to take your word over that of the engineers. They obviously believed that staggered was the best way to go.
Take a chill pill.

I'm saying changing the difference in tire size (oem gt350 295f/305r) and (gt350r 305f/315r) to a 2 tire size difference will make the handling worse. It's known that the guys who want to stuff a huge rear tire and not balance it out end up hunting down understeer problems when the tire sizing is the problem.

Ford sets these cars up to have a hint of understeer.

Making the front and rear sizes the same means that the fronts will typically lose grip at a similar time to the rear.

If you look at any of the track reviews with REAL race car drivers you'll hear them mention that putting a larger tire up front on this car will really help balance it out.

This is the same conclusion I've found out after 6 track days on stock tires.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Relax chief. 99% of all rwd cars come staggered from the factory to make the car push a tad because most amateur drivers can control an understeer condition much better than a potential over-steer condition. Going with a square setup will improve braking and help the car rotate better

Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S

The only reason for a smaller front tire on a nose heavy car is to decrease relative front grip. That's the oldest trick in the book to promote understeer (aka SAFETY) yet allow an easy fix. It's already been said, but the first track mod for a Mustang should be to get the tires squared up so you can rotate the damn things. :cheers:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Take a chill pill.

I'm saying changing the difference in tire size (oem gt350 295f/305r) and (gt350r 305f/315r) to a 2 tire size difference will make the handling worse. It's known that the guys who want to stuff a huge rear tire and not balance it out end up hunting down understeer problems when the tire sizing is the problem.

Ford sets these cars up to have a hint of understeer.

Making the front and rear sizes the same means that the fronts will typically lose grip at a similar time to the rear.

If you look at any of the track reviews with REAL race car drivers you'll hear them mention that putting a larger tire up front on this car will really help balance it out.

This is the same conclusion I've found out after 6 track days on stock tires.
Which reviews are these? I think Randy Pobst raved about the balance of the R.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Which reviews are these? I think Randy Pobst raved about the balance of the R.
And balance means you can get the car to do whatever you want, understeer, oversteer, drift, trail brake, whatever. Then there are some cars that have no balance at all. First one that comes to mind for me is the Alpha based GTO. HUGE fun but just appalling oversteer ALL the time.
Sponsored