Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Took the Fiesta ST to the canyons this morning after taking the mustang.

I can reach the limits of the fiesta on the back roads fairly easy, which at first was really fun BUT...

The Fiesta ST is rewarding and fun at first but then you realize that you have reached to potential (understeer) and the mustang has more potential and with tires, suspension etc. etc. could have way more potential... and be more rewarding to drive at its limit.

The Fiesta is so easy to go fast ( or what seems like fast with the race seats, stiff suspension and engine noises ), but then you reach understeer.

The mustang while not quite as fun at 5 to 8 tenths should be more rewarding once you are actually using the RWD characteristics and add some suspension bits.
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Took the Fiesta ST to the canyons this morning after taking the mustang.

I can reach the limits of the fiesta on the back roads fairly easy, which at first was really fun BUT...

The Fiesta ST is rewarding and fun at first but then you realize that you have reached to potential (understeer) and the mustang has more potential and with tires, suspension etc. etc. could have way more potential... and be more rewarding to drive at its limit.

The Fiesta is so easy to go fast ( or what seems like fast with the race seats, stiff suspension and engine noises ), but then you reach understeer.

The mustang while not quite as fun at 5 to 8 tenths should be more rewarding once you are actually using the RWD characteristics and add some suspension bits.
Bingo.

dktx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
I have a Focus ST along with a few RWD track cars, one of which is 400+ HP like a GT. The Focus is fun on track but not nearly as satisfying to drive as RWD. I can't power out of the corners nearly as well in the Focus, and I constantly have to manage the wheelspin. The Focus is also crazy hard on the front brakes, so you need good track pads and fluid, and even then I go through the pads pretty quickly. Plus, if you track the car regularly, I think the Focus ST, and probably the Fiesta ST as well, needs a bigger intercooler and an oil cooler.

Now if it's wet, FWD rules.

Sponsored

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
You have two cars, a GT PP and a Fiesta ST with the Recaros

The Fiesta ST is your daily driver, you spend 2-3 hours per day using it for commuting in the city.

The GT PP is a weekend car.

Which car do you start using for HPDE

Fiesta Pros
- more fun
- consumables are cheaper IE brakes, tires, gas

Fiesta Cons
- you need it for your daily driver
- will never be as fast as the GT PP on the track with equal modifications
- might get hot

Mustang Pros
- fast, looks good, sounds good
- more capable to go real fast at the track
- unlimited directions to go with modifications and power
- Driftable
- Will not be daily driving it for work

Mustang Cons
- Consumables IE tires, brake and gas are DOUBLE
- I would be sick if I wrecked it
- Heavy, less fun (I'm thinking, haven't tested it yet)

Which car would you build for the track?
I've owned both(not at the same time) so my thoughts. You already mention the major pros/cons to both so it seems to me budget id the deciding factor. The ST will be a blast no matter what, save for maybe the bigger power tracks like Road America, Sebring etc. The GT I think is equally fun in its own way with its power and rwd. So what can you afford to do more of?

The GT will cost substantially more to maintain but need less upgrades to keep it reliable on the track(intercooler etc). You're in LA so I assume you'll be going to Laguna, Infineon, Thunderhill, none of which strike me as power tracks though I haven't run them. Being in my opinion in range of more technical tracks and the cost expected to be a good bit less in the ST I would go with that route and daily the Mustang more.

Just my .02

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've owned both(not at the same time) so my thoughts. You already mention the major pros/cons to both so it seems to me budget id the deciding factor. The ST will be a blast no matter what, save for maybe the bigger power tracks like Road America, Sebring etc. The GT I think is equally fun in its own way with its power and rwd. So what can you afford to do more of?

The GT will cost substantially more to maintain but need less upgrades to keep it reliable on the track(intercooler etc). You're in LA so I assume you'll be going to Laguna, Infineon, Thunderhill, none of which strike me as power tracks though I haven't run them. Being in my opinion in range of more technical tracks and the cost expected to be a good bit less in the ST I would go with that route and daily the Mustang more.

Just my .02
Are you on CR?

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Uhhhh....trade in both Fords for a Subi STi, then you can have one car for commute, track, autocross, and rallycross??

In all seriousness, if I were OP, I would take each car to a cheap, relatively informal track day like SCCA's Track Night in America ($125 for 3 x 20min sessions), and see which you like better. They might even allow you to pay once, and rotate between cars between sessions.

If it's all for having fun, then it's real subjective - only you can make your own decision on that. Money can always be re-made...

Good driving and good handling are the most important aspects, I think. Last week I ran the 2-mile Thunderhill West track with a guy in a Fiat Abarth on RE-71R's. I was going faster overall, but styles were totally different. I had way more acceleration out of corners and down straights, way harder braking. He barely braked at all, and had higher corner entry speeds - a light small car on sticky tires nearly defies physics, but my GTPP sure doesn't. We both had tons of fun.