Torsen Differential and Mini-Spare tire

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great to hear about the Torsen diff and Excuses the dirty wheel. But I did some investigating yesterday.

Front wheel fits in the wheel well but does stick up. So the cover can't go back on. If I was going on a long trip I'd rather have a spare wheel. The rear wheel would fit but would need to be deflated. My front wheel fit inflated @ 32 psi.

Rear tire to front tire comparison.

The rear tire on the front wheel is a big NO NO. As it hits the strut and only the strut. Only way around it is to put some sort of spacer on it.

Doesn't hit the top of the strut which is a good thing.

Doesn't hit the Plastic liner in full lock in either direction. Has enough space all around.

Crappy picture. But does clear the brake calipers
Sponsored

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I wonder how far/fast you could go without damaging the differential if you used a slightly different diameter tire combo. A full size tire wouldn't be limited to under 50 mph.

I have a spare set of amr 20" wheels and will toss one in the car for long trips

TR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt base with a performance pack
All this spare talk... the great news is no issues using a different OD tire with the torsen
I just picked up a new take off front tire and PP wheel for a spare. Glad I saw this thread. I was going to buy one of each, front and rear. I've never liked going without a spare. :headbang:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Up front, no spare means lighter in weight, more room for storage, and decreased cost. But I think, to some degree, it's also because owners/drivers would rather call for help than swap a tire themselves.

Looks at some of the responses here....including my own!...we are quick to want to call a tow trunk (although personally, it's just so I can get my (future) car home and swap out the wheel myself).

-Emt1581
How much weight is a spare really. 30-40lbs max really. It will save you a lot of time waiting on the side of the road in the middle of the night.
I would rather put on a spare instead of road service.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Great to hear about the Torsen diff and Excuses the dirty wheel. But I did some investigating yesterday.

Front wheel fits in the wheel well but does stick up. So the cover can't go back on. If I was going on a long trip I'd rather have a spare wheel. The rear wheel would fit but would need to be deflated. My front wheel fit inflated @ 32 psi.

Rear tire to front tire comparison.

The rear tire on the front wheel is a big NO NO. As it hits the strut and only the strut. Only way around it is to put some sort of spacer on it.

Doesn't hit the top of the strut which is a good thing.

Doesn't hit the Plastic liner in full lock in either direction. Has enough space all around.

Crappy picture. But does clear the brake calipers
Yea if you have PP package and had a front tire damaged, its pretty much useless.
On the other hand, can't they make some bigger spare rims?

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
All this spare talk... the great news is no issues using a different OD tire with the torsen

I'd like to see some documentation on this? Anyone seen any? Might be fine for a couple of miles, but not sure if driving on it for several days would be wise with a different diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeltaMobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
After reading this post, I am still confused. What wheel and tire do I need to buy to have spare for my GT PP?

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Years ago, before everyone carried a cell phone everywhere, I had a tire completely shred on me at 1am on an empty highway while coming home from work. Having a donut spare got be back on the road in under 15 minutes and I made it home safely. I can't imagine how long I would have had to wait for a tow truck or highway patrol officer to just stumble upon me.

I don't have the PP wheels or big brakes, but I am definitely going to be investing in some sort of spare tire in the very near future, for long road trips if nothing else. I'm not worried about a quick roadside rescue during my morning or afternoon commute though heavy traffic with lots of people around. However, if I'm driving more than an hour to get somewhere, I want to have a spare with me in the trunk, preferably a full-size. While it would cost space for luggage, I can always throw stuff in the back seat if more room is needed. Being stranded on the side of the road is one of the worst feelings a driver can have.

TR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt base with a performance pack
After reading this post, I am still confused. What wheel and tire do I need to buy to have spare for my GT PP?
From what I take from this it's a front PP wheel and tire. I just bought one for a spare tire. The front PP wheel will fit on the rear but the rear PP wheel will not fit on the front.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
They claim that the spare won't clear the Brembo caliper on the front. So you get a flat, but a rear on the front and the spare on the rear. Or put a 1" spacer in the trunk with a spare and install it to clear the caliper.

Who cares if one front is wider, you get home.
Sponsored