Torque Wrench Recommendations?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I agree with @Zelek, if there’s a particular brand you like that should be just fine. All my wrenches, screwdrivers and sockets are Craftsman so I went with them for my torque wrenches.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks for all the input!

I was sort of hoping there might be some sort of natural consensus around one or two products, but it seems like everyone has their favorite.

Anyone aware of any truly unbiased torque wrench reviews out there? Most of the "Top 10 blah blab blah ..." articles out there are really just thinly disguised click-bait affiliate marketing programs with no real meaningful comparisons or accuracy tests.
Like I've mentioned earlier - Grassroots Motorsports one. They're racers, not magazine writers trying to sell cars.
All you're going to find out is that it doesn't really matter what you buy. Buy what you like, preferably not spending too much as it's stupid.

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Honestly, I think so many are close in many ways that I'd just pick a brand name you know of and you'll probably like it. I've used Harbor Freight, broken a smaller 3/8 one and got a free replacement, and now I'm using a Kobalt 1/2" for the bigger stuff. Still using the same Harbor Freight breaker bar for the last 8 years and it works well. Those digital torque wrenches are really pricey versus your click ones.
I agree with @Zelek, if there’s a particular brand you like that should be just fine. All my wrenches, screwdrivers and sockets are Craftsman so I went with them for my torque wrenches.
I will probably end up doing just that. But brands are not what they used to be and there is a lot of junk out there marketed under what used to be trusted brands.

I used a beam style Craftsman torque wrench for years and was always happy with it (I no longer have that one though). I have a cheap Husky click wrench I bought about 10-15 years ago, but I (stupidly) stored it for an extended period (years) dialed up to a high setting and do not trust it at the lower end of its range anymore.

I was just checking to see if there was some obvious consensus around a particular product.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This sucker looks great. I've been thinking of prepping the Mustang with jack rails so I can swap out my own tires at home and need a wrench that can do 150 for the lug nuts.
I really like my jacking rails. Can jack up one side of the car at a time. Seems to add a little more rigidity to the chassis too.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
This sucker looks great. I've been thinking of prepping the Mustang with jack rails so I can swap out my own tires at home and need a wrench that can do 150 for the lug nuts.
Yes. That's exactly why I bought the 1/2" drive model. I had the 3/8" drive previously, which worked great.

Labor Day is coming up, so you might catch one on sale.

Reactions: MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yes. That's exactly why I bought the 1/2" drive model. I had the 3/8" drive previously, which worked great.

Labor Day is coming up, so you might catch one on sale.
That is what I am hoping. Craftsman has a CDN website so all good there since Amazon only has their digital torque wrench and I'm more of an analog kinda guy.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Tekton
I've got a smaller 3/8" 5-80lbs and a larger 1/2" that goes up to 180lbs or something that I use for wheel swaps.
Great tools for a great price off Amazon

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The beam type, for all its advantages (high accuracy, no recalibration needed, lives forever, never fails), has one fatal flaw. You must always read it head-on, otherwise it's useless. And in most circumstances a head-on reading is impossible. Try fastening your wheel nuts with one and you'll see what I mean.
A good click type is accurate and reliable and much easier to use, but you must take good care of it. Never drop it. Always set it to its minimum torque reading before storing it. Never set it to your desired torque reading by going down from a higher reading - always go up to it. Send it to a qualified shop for a thorough check and calibration at least once a year if you use it frequently.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Send it to a qualified shop for a thorough check and calibration at least once a year if you use it frequently.
I'd rather just go and buy a new one. It's cheaper. (or find someone with a torque tester to verify accuracy).

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
CDI makes a great wrench. It’s a Snapon company and US made.

Yes it does, stout is well worth the price, torque values are engraved.
Sponsored