tool to torque top strut nut

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
There is a special tool that is used to allow one to torque the top strut nut to spec while allowing the person to hold the shaft from spinning with said tool. Anybody know a link to get this tool and or a picture of what it looks like. After talking to BMR the front strut nut is suppose to be torqued to at least 60 lb ft but without being able to hold the shaft it is impossible. Thanks

Tyler
Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
There is a special tool that is used to allow one to torque the top strut nut to spec while allowing the person to hold the shaft from spinning with said tool. Anybody know a link to get this tool and or a picture of what it looks like. After talking to BMR the front strut nut is suppose to be torqued to at least 60 lb ft but without being able to hold the shaft it is impossible. Thanks

Tyler
Use a open ended wrench to hold the center pin and a crowfoot on a torque wrench at 90 degree angle to tighten the nut.

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Use a open ended wrench to hold the center pin and a crowfoot on a torque wrench at 90 degree angle to tighten the nut.
The nut is down inside the top strut mount so how do you get a crows foot down in there?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The nut is down inside the top strut mount so how do you get a crows foot down in there?
Wait it's deep in there? I guess you gonna have to use a special tool. I didn't look at my car.
Another thing you can do is you can make it as tight as possible, lower the car and then tighten.

Sponsored

reed7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Manual Magnetic
Just torque mine yesterday. A 21mm deep well socket, a 1/4 ratchet, a 1/4 ratchet extension and a 1/4 10mm socket are good enough for tighten the nut. And then you can use a torque wrench with the 21 deep well socket to torque the nut to spec.

I did the job with the front wheels on the ground BTW.

stbanas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue w/Performance Pkg
I ended up using a pry bar big enough to stop the nut from moving. Then using a 10mm ratcheting wrench I tightened the center pin as much as possible. After that I was able to torque down the nut without the center pin moving. I did all this with the car on the ground too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Just torque mine yesterday. A 21mm deep well socket, a 1/4 ratchet, a 1/4 ratchet extension and a 1/4 10mm socket are good enough for tighten the nut. And then you can use a torque wrench with the 21 deep well socket to torque the nut to spec.

I do not understand how you did this

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
I do not understand how you did this
i put a 3/8 10mm socket on the strut ---- put the 21mm deep socket on top --- fish a 3/8 extension through the top of the 21mm and onto the 10mm --- hold the 21mm with your and slowly and GENTLY torque the 10mm a few turns at a time. once tight enough you can then hit the 21mm without it spinning while on the car.

Please be careful as i have heard people have snapped the strut nub

I do plan to get one of the strut sockets and i have the feeling I will be doing this again

Sponsored

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT

If possible, can you please tell me where I can locate the 10mm nut?

reed7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Manual Magnetic
If possible, can you please tell me where I can locate the 10mm nut?
It's at the center of the strut tower. It's not a nut, I don't know what's it in English. Sorry about that..

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Electric Impact gun while the suspension is loaded. As long as is tight you are good.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto

Tyler
If what you mean is torque the rear shock 21mm locking nut while holding the 9mm hex on the shaft this tool is designed to that https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/strut-nut-socket-21mm/003046sch01a-03/. It allows you to hold the 9mm hex with a 12 point closed end wrench and torque the 21mm locking with a 1/2 torque wrench. This tool is a 21mm deep socket with a window cut into it for the 9mm closed end wrench and is designed to do this job.