avy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hello reader!

I know this may be a far-fetched idea/ask, but is anyone willing and able to complete a project for me, and other likeminded individuals? Unfortunately, I don’t have the resources or knowledge to undertake it myself. Please see below.

I have a 2017 Mustang GT Premium, and one of the gripes I have with the interior are the toggle switches; they feel flimsy and cheap, and the chrome finish just stands out too much for my liking. Can anyone design and produce a cover for the whole toggle switch trim? It can be 3D-printed, machined, et cetera. I know there are covers out there now, but they basically just slip on each switch and it just looks off to me (see attached). Also, there’s a fair amount of the chrome leftover.

On the matter of covers, I’m also looking for covers for the radio control knobs. Again, I know there are covers out there, but they leave a ring of chrome exposed (see attached). I would imagine producing one to cover the knob in its entirety won’t interfere with functionality in any way.

Thank you for your time. This may just be me being picky and anal about my interior, but I’m sure other folks would like to see this happen, too. I would GLADLY pay for the goods and services if anyone can make this happen.

Stay safe, all!
45676966-AEE5-4701-A625-CF0E810D7679.jpeg
B46431F0-8893-44DC-94D5-09A17ABC7699.jpeg
Sponsored

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I just bought a 2020 EB premium, and I also dislike those toggles. A lot. I do 3D design and printing, and would love to make a replacement. Anyone have any idea if/how these can come out? I'm afraid they are integrated part of the switch itself.

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I played around and created some keycaps with my resin 3d printer with abs-like resin. Totally doable, I think.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

OP
OP

avy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I just bought a 2020 EB premium, and I also dislike those toggles. A lot. I do 3D design and printing, and would love to make a replacement. Anyone have any idea if/how these can come out? I'm afraid they are integrated part of the switch itself.
Thanks for the reply! I’m envisioning a cover from the far right of the push-to-start button to the trim to the right of the last switch. It can potentially be held up by 3M tape that’ll stick to the dividers between each switch, seeing that they’re not an integral part in its operation. As for covering the switch themselves, I’d imagine there would have to be hinges of sort on the sides so they can be flipped up and down.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Me too I am not a fan of the toggles. They just dont go with the interior in my opinion. Actually my first impression the first time I saw them is what is that cheap gimicky stuff .

This guy custom 3d prints replacement toggles might contact him. https://www.shapeways.com/shops/s550parts

Also the GT350s toggle switches are a darker like black chrome. maybe can find a set and switch them out with the shiny ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP

avy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Me too I am not a fan of the toggles. They just dont go with the interior in my opinion. Actually my first impression the first time I saw them is what is that cheap gimicky stuff .

This guy custom 3d prints replacement toggles might contact him. https://www.shapeways.com/shops/s550parts
Thanks for pointing in the right direction! Looking forward to a solution!

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Here's what they look like unscrewed (from the rear) of the bezel.

I've never used it, but can't you mask it properly and then use Plasti dip spray or something something equivalent?
20170125_071737-jpg.jpg

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Also the GT350s toggle switches are a darker like black chrome. maybe can find a set and switch them out with the shiny ones.
The GT350 toggles do not perform the same functions as the GT/EB toggles

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)

I've never used it, but can't you mask it properly and then use Plasti dip spray or something something equivalent?
20170125_071737-jpg.jpg
Thanks! Is it easy to get to them and get them out?

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Is it easy to get to them and get them out?
Yes and no. I think it’s simple, but you need to pull the entire Dash trim from the passenger side to above the bezel. Then remove the entire radio bezel, and unscrew the switch panel from the rear. All you need are minor trim tools, patience, Phillips screwdriver.

Search YouTube for video on 4 inch to 8 inch Mustang Sync conversion, and the first few steps will show you how to pull these panels and get to the rear of the bezel. You can ignore the rest of the video.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The GT350 toggles do not perform the same functions as the GT/EB toggles
they are jut switches right? dosent matter what the switch is. I could glue a stick to it to toggle it. I would think as long at the board or what ever is the same then the physical switch is irrelevant ? the switch just activates the function.

SpectreGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no. I think it’s simple, but you need to pull the entire Dash trim from the passenger side to above the bezel. Then remove the entire radio bezel, and unscrew the switch panel from the rear. All you need are minor trim tools, patience, Phillips screwdriver.

Search YouTube for video on 4 inch to 8 inch Mustang Sync conversion, and the first few steps will show you how to pull these panels and get to the rear of the bezel. You can ignore the rest of the video.
Cool, thanks. I tore apart a lot of my Audi before this, so sounds like not too bad. Those toggles the other guy did look pretty good, but more of a replacement for the base model, so probably only partially usable.

OP
OP

avy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

20170125_071737-jpg.jpg
Thanks for the reply! If all else fails, I’d probably take that route, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s to not take apart things when you don’t have to; for some reason, something always goes wrong or it doesn’t fit back like it originally did.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Cool, thanks. I tore apart a lot of my Audi before this, so sounds like not too bad. Those toggles the other guy did look pretty good, but more of a replacement for the base model, so probably only partially usable.
The first 6 minutes of this video:

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
they are jut switches right? dosent matter what the switch is. I could glue a stick to it to toggle it. I would think as long at the board or what ever is the same then the physical switch is irrelevant ? the switch just activates the function.
I know what you are saying, but I've never broken down the bezel that far to know if they are on their own panel (that's not my photo) and if what you suggest would work. I'm no fan of the chrome, but if I swapped to GT350 switches which display on their face a different function that what the actual did on a GT/EB, it would bother me as much as the chrome. But that's just me . . .
Sponsored