To wing or not to wing

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Minority opinion I'm sure, but.... I think the s550 looks great without the wing. very much like the old 2nd gen fastbacks, which of course appeals to me because it's such a clean look with a nice retro flare to it. obviously it's not everybody's cup of tea, and that's fine. just my .02
Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Minority opinion I'm sure, but.... I think the s550 looks great without the wing. very much like the old 2nd gen fastbacks, which of course appeals to me because it's such a clean look with a nice retro flare to it. obviously it's not everybody's cup of tea, and that's fine. just my .02
I agree with you 100%. If I could have optioned spoiler delete when I ordered my HHP, I would have done so.

The proof of your point is that when Ford did the Bullitt, it came with no spoiler, keeping with the old style look.

I am not a fan of the Three S's (stripes, spoilers, scoops). But that is just me. I had the dealer remove the hood stripes off my HPP before delivery.

But the genius behind the Mustang is you get to make it yours. If you want a big ass wing. Go for it. Huge stripes, put them on. Scoops everywhere, it's your baby.

I love Mustangs in all forms. I know what I want on mine. You do you. It's all good.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
Yes. It’s needed for downforce. It increases traction and stability. Yes I am aware of the conditions and speeds required by different spoilers to create different amounts of downforce.

I am not an aerodynamicist but I have raced motorcycles my whole life and have been heavily involved in the development of motorcycle helmets for the 15 years I worked at Shoei and Bell helmets. I am very aware of downforce and the role it plays in racing. Yes I am aware that’s motorcycles and not cars, yes I am aware that’s racing not driving on the streets. Yes I need a big spoiler on my car for something other than aesthetics.
Now that's a job title that would certainly impress.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes, l know what a properly designed spoiler/wing does.

That was my point, 98% of cars are street cars. Wings may be of some help but, be honest, they're mostly for looks.

Why do you need a big spoiler? Do you track or (legally) race the car?

The OP's question was about putting a wing on his car that came stock with nothing on the deck lid.
Now since stock Mustangs are really quite planted on the street into triple digits there's really no "need" for a wing if they're a street car other than aesethetics.
There's nothing wrong with doing it for looks, absolutely not.
But the vast majority don't NEED more downforce.
Spoilers help handling and braking. If 99.99999% of the time it does nothing and .000001% it improves your braking or handling enough to prevent a wreck, I would say that’s well worth it. I personally would say that’s something needed. On the street the extra force it adds to braking and handling is needed for the way I drive, even if it’s a very small percentage of the time.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I say wing it. The GT350/GT500/Mach1 “Swing” is probably the best looking OEM spoiler Ford has made IMO. I’d put the R wing second followed by the CFTP wing then the 2018+ PP1 spoiler.

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg
Agreed, absolutely love this wing with the Gurney flap. I feel without the rear looks unfinished. Each to his own I guess. Love this color too :like:

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I am with you...I prefer the blade spoiler or no spoiler. I understand the utility of the larger wings on track but I think they look kind of ridiculous just driving around. It was part of my decision in not going HP.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I understand the utility of the larger wings on track but I think they look kind of ridiculously SEXY on the street.
I agree with you

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT with Recaro bucket seat option.
I went with old school Shelby Bullitt rims on my last ride

IMG_4097.jpeg
That looks good Virnman. I like that too. I saw those in different color. However, the site said they would not fit. I think they had grey spokes.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT with Recaro bucket seat option.
I agree with all of you guys. Just make the car yours. I choose to buy my Mustang for the same reasons. When it comes to modding, the sky is the limit. Same goes for horsepower too. Get the heavy duty crate short block and add as much horsepower as one wants. Someone got an old Mustang with no motor, just get a crate Coyote and done. Roush web site shows a Coyote with downdraft carbs. That would be sweet in a 60s model.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I'm starting to spec out (i.e. dream about) my next Mustang, and I show the Ford builder app pictures to the wife occasionally... she has particular requirements when it comes to colors, etc. Asked specifically about the wing, she says "that car should have a spoiler." Case closed for me.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I like the look of a spoiler on the back. Kinda wish mine was a little more aggressive but I'm unwilling to make a change.

As far as the installation if you decide to. I'd find a good local body shop and ask them.
I have done a diy years ago on a different car. It wasn't too bad but I was willing to assume the risk if I F'd it up. Not sure I would be on this car.
I put a GT500 spoiler on mine. Love it
IMG_E9911.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG
Sponsored