Sponsored

To float or not to float...

susko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
I may stick with my modded GTI after all these generally OK to positive reviews (but nothing kick-ass, which is what it would take for me to bite)... I'm also wondering if the base suspension is even an option for anyone...

From Edmunds--

It's all roses and thumbs-up for this Mustang until you throw it into a series of corners, where it's kind of a mixed bag. Working it hard on a canyon road reveals a base suspension that is too floaty and soft, and as a result the chassis never quite feels settled, even as the tires feel sure-footed. But you need to press through this vagueness. If you do you'll find there's a surprising amount of grip available, and a chassis that's immune to midcorner bumps, so at least all that compliance has an upside.

So, if you ever plan on taking the new Mustang through a corner in anger, skip right to the Performance Pack. We sampled an EcoBoost Mustang thusly equipped, and the handling improvement is immediately obvious even before you explore the outer limits of grip. The floatiness is turned way down and the chassis is far more eager to change direction, though at least some of this latter characteristic is down to the EcoBoost's 100-pound lighter front end. This is still a big car, but in this guise it seems to shrink significantly.
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I say it's your loss at that point. Especially if you can't at least cough up the coin for the PP.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The base suspension is probably the best choice for those who intend to mod the car anyway. No OEM suspension will ever be good enough for me, regardless of how good it is compared to other OEM setups.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
The base suspension is probably the best choice for those who intend to mod the car anyway. No OEM suspension will ever be good enough for me, regardless of how good it is compared to other OEM setups.

I agree as far as the suspension goes. Most people have no idea about suspension and believe all the hype from the marketers and reviewers without any hands on experience. What I disagree with is the value of the PP in the 2015 with its extra gages, and brembo brakes, torsen rear end, and some of the stiffening adjustments all included it is still a good deal even if you do decide to change springs and shocks.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I agree as far as the suspension goes. Most people have no idea about suspension and believe all the hype from the marketers and reviewers without any hands on experience. What I disagree with is the value of the PP in the 2015 with its extra gages, and brembo brakes, torsen rear end, and some of the stiffening adjustments all included it is still a good deal even if you do decide to change springs and shocks.
The brakes alone are right at $2,000 if I remember correctly. The total package price is 24xx.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

There's no disagreement, I understand the value of Ford's performance/track package. Simply put, as far as ride and handling are concerned the factory stuff will always be too soft and floaty for my taste. It all depends on how far a person is willing to go. For my DD I'd go for the performance/track package and mod the shocks/struts and springs. For a race build I'd go bare bones and mod everything.

Lagometer

Noob Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Prem PP w/50 AP.
The stock suspension has to fit the needs of daily drivers, to include speed bumps, the occasional curb jump, pot holes and all the non-driving related road events. Once you start tuning, you trade away some of that tolerance for non-driving events for higher speed and that means no more short cuts thru a parking lot full of speed bumps or road construction.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
The brakes alone are right at $2,000 if I remember correctly. The total package price is 24xx.
Like you say, the brakes and the Torsen diff alone are worth the package, even if you rip out the upgraded springs & struts anyway. Unless you don't like a great Torsen diff. Which would be understandable: I mean, Hitler probably didn't. :D
Sponsored