Tire Repair

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
2016 Mustang GT, 19 inch wheels with stock Pirelli P Zero tires that came with the car. Tires are not showing much wear after 10,000 miles with one tire rotation performed at 7,000 miles.

I just got a fairly small diameter nail (looks like a nail used to build wooden crates) in a tire, in the middle of the tire "footprint" but in a groove between treads. I have tried to use the plug material and glue twice to patch the hole but there is still a slow leak that requires refilling the tire every day. Discount Tire in Houston won't try to fix the hole, and I doubt that Firestone will, either.

Anybody know of a method that will do an adequate patch/fix? The tire is too new to ditch without making one more stab (shouldn't use that word in this context, should I?!) at repairng it.

All the Best,

Old Guard
Sponsored

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
I had a nail in a similar location on my Focus ST. (Summer only High Performance tire) I first took it to BJ's (because I'm a member there and it was only a block away). They said they don't work on low profile tires. He aired me up and I went to Tires Plus and they fixed it no problem. The pulled the tire off the wheel and patched it from the inside.

Call around. I've never found a tread puncture that couldn't be patched. If it's in the sidewall that's a difference story, but anything in the tread should be repairable.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
I'd take it to a local tire shop that to get it repatched. The patch you put on probably needs to be taken off, the glued area re-shaved and adhered with a new patch/plug combo.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Honestly I just go to pepboys for tires repairs usually. They'll remove the tire and put a patch on the inside instead of using a plug.

Lorenzo@aspiremotoring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Discount won't fix it because it's been previously repaired, they don't want to be liable if something happens since they are the last ones to touch it. You can call around to different shops to see if they're able to patch it from the inside for you. There will be a shop out there that can do it.
The gummy plugs are quick fixes but they suck and aren't too safe. They tend to dry out and keep leaking or move around and leak. Best way with is with a plug and a patch. A plug to fill the whole and cover the steel belts from water and then a patch to hold it into place. Good Luck with your fix!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Guard

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for the great advice. Turns out that a Firestone shop nearby will do the patch.

OP
OP
Old Guard

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Surprised that my Houston dealer said the tire, with 10,200 miles on it, was under warranty and they replaced the tire for free yesterday. Impressed!

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Surprised that my Houston dealer said the tire, with 10,200 miles on it, was under warranty and they replaced the tire for free yesterday. Impressed!
wow!!!! you serious? surprised they didnt tell you "we cant replicate the issue" :lol:
Sponsored