Sponsored

Tire Pressure Warning

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I own a 2016 EcoBoost premium with 18 inch rims. Yesterday when I backed my car out of the driveway the air pressure warning light came on the front right tire. It read 25 pounds. All my other tires were at 26 or 27 lbs. I took a look at the tire and didn't see a nail and they didn't look low and I had to get to work. The tires haven't gotten any lower. When I drive the car as the tires warm up the pressure will rise to 27 or 28 lbs...but the warning light won't go away.

This is my first car with pressure gauges in the tire. My question is if I fill up the tires with air, will the warning light go off or do I have to take it to the dealership? Also I thought I read somewhere that the tires take something other than air. Do I just top the car off with air or do I need to put something else in the tires? I thought I read something about using nitrogen.
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I own a 2016 EcoBoost premium with 18 inch rims. Yesterday when I backed my car out of the driveway the air pressure warning light came on the front right tire. It read 25 pounds. All my other tires were at 26 or 27 lbs. I took a look at the tire and didn't see a nail and they didn't look low and I had to get to work. The tires haven't gotten any lower. When I drive the car as the tires warm up the pressure will rise to 27 or 28 lbs...but the warning light won't go away.

This is my first car with pressure gauges in the tire. My question is if I fill up the tires with air, will the warning light go off or do I have to take it to the dealership? Also I thought I read somewhere that the tires take something other than air. Do I just top the car off with air or do I need to put something else in the tires? I thought I read something about using nitrogen.
You can use nitrogen, but it's more for special racing applications.

...Just put air in the tires. Fill them to the specs on the sticker on the frame inside your driver door. Do it at a gas station or use your own compressor. If the light stays on after that you might have a faulty sensor.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Do you normally let your tire pressure get that low? Normal is 32lbs and Ford recommends adding 4 more for high speed driving.

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No...I haven't owned the car that long and this is the first time I have seen the warning. My previous car was a 2003 Mustang. I'd check the tires every so often and try and keep them around 32lbs. I just wasn't sure if I needed to fill thsee up with normal air or nitrogen or if there were anything else unusual I needed to know.

UPDATE:

Ended up breaking out my compressor when I got home and filled up all the tires to 32 lbs. The only odd thing is that all the tires updated on the dash to 32 lbs. Basically I had to go a little over 32 lbs and then unhook the compressor. Some air would come out and it would settle right around 32 lbs. I did that for all tires. The left rear never budged off of 27 lbs. Might have to try it again...even though the gauge reads 32 lbs on the compressor.

Last edited:

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I'd say give it a few miles to see if it changes when the tire heats up. that shouldn't be long here in Tampa Bay. If it doesn't update then I'd say the TPMS sensor is defective. Not a big issue as long as it doesn't drop too far. But you'll have to keep checking it until you get a new sensor installed. I'd wait till next oil change and get it done at the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I drove into work today...everything seemed to hit 32 lbs...so looks like all is good.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah those sensors take a few minutes to update. Sometime by the time you've aired up all four tires one or two will have updated but the last ones will still show old data.
Sponsored