Sponsored

Ticking while driving? (Even tick, not intermittent)

TheMachinist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT black
I have a 21 mustang GT manual base with about 1200 miles on the clock. When driving there seems to be a somewhat quiet tick heard from the front end. It seems to be RPM dependant, not speed dependant. Happens even when warmed up and you can hear it inside the car with the windows up. Doesn't sound irregular and shaky like rod knock or the BBQ tick, it ticks at an even pace kinda like an exhaust leak but it doesn't sound like any exhaust leak Ive had in the past, it's hard to describe but it just sounds different. Maybe I can post a video. Past about 3k RPM the stock exhaust drowns it out.

The car is bone stock, the only thing not from the factory are the tires and this started before I changed those anyway. No aftermarket tune.

Fluid levels are good, all parameters seem to be good. Doesn't have the piston slap tick at idle as of yet.

Curious if this is an issue or if I should just turn the radio on and ignore it if others have the same sound. It's weeks to get into a dealer right now around here.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, every time I try searching for tick issues it just brings up the BBQ tick at idle and this probably isn't that. Thank you for your help!
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Search for 2k rattle, or don't, and ignore it.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Piston slap?

Has it now been determined that piston slap is the cause of the tick?

ksampler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp Orange Prem. W/ PP
Most likely the 2k rattle.. My 16 has the same thing but I have narrowed it to the timing area and most likely a failed tensioner or slightly stretched chain.

OP
OP
TheMachinist

TheMachinist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT black
Piston slap?

Has it now been determined that piston slap is the cause of the tick?
It's at least the most compelling argument I can find and it lines up with some of the cylinder scoring found in some cases. I doubt Ford will ever release a definite reason for it, though they must know what it is by now since they literally have multiple testing facilities to figure that kind of thing out.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 2018 GT sounds like a threshing machine. Every time I take it to the Ford dealer for an oil change they tell me it's a great running car. I'm glad I am hearing impaired and can't hear all that clatter without my hearing aids. At least it sounds better than my Porsche. Modern direct injection engines do not sound good. They all rely on loud and elaborate exhaust systems to mask the engine noise.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
My 2018 GT sounds like a threshing machine.
This... 10X.

I adore this car. It makes me grin like an idiot every single day ....but, if I start paying attention to every weird noise it makes, I'll go batsh#t crazy.

Turn your music up and floor it. Don't over-think it.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have a 21 mustang GT manual base with about 1200 miles on the clock. When driving there seems to be a somewhat quiet tick heard from the front end. It seems to be RPM dependant, not speed dependant. Happens even when warmed up and you can hear it inside the car with the windows up. Doesn't sound irregular and shaky like rod knock or the BBQ tick, it ticks at an even pace kinda like an exhaust leak but it doesn't sound like any exhaust leak Ive had in the past, it's hard to describe but it just sounds different. Maybe I can post a video. Past about 3k RPM the stock exhaust drowns it out.

The car is bone stock, the only thing not from the factory are the tires and this started before I changed those anyway. No aftermarket tune.

Fluid levels are good, all parameters seem to be good. Doesn't have the piston slap tick at idle as of yet.

Curious if this is an issue or if I should just turn the radio on and ignore it if others have the same sound. It's weeks to get into a dealer right now around here.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, every time I try searching for tick issues it just brings up the BBQ tick at idle and this probably isn't that. Thank you for your help!
Hi, I would have your car put up on a lift and check the drive shaft. The bar code label on the drive shaft has likely unstuck and is spinning and hitting the body. My sound was coming from the gear shifter area. I had a similar issue a few years ago and this was it ....a few other members have had this too. Good luck.
Sponsored