Sponsored

Ticking noise from 18 GT

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Hey Chris, do you know the build date on your 18 GT?
Sorry I don't. I'll check when I get over to the dealer. I ordered the car in late March and was told it was built in April. I took delivery on May 3rd if that helps.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Sorry I don't. I'll check when I get over to the dealer. I ordered the car in late March and was told it was built in April. I took delivery on May 3rd if that helps.
That kinda worried me. My car's build is 4/30, and just hoping that my car dosent have that issue. I got my 17 Hyundai Sonata refunded as engine got fired up, my 17 GT had a piston issue, and just hoping that this 18 is safe....

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
A quick update. My 3 week old 2018 Premium PP A10 GT with 1,600 miles is at the dealer with the dreaded tick. My service advisor just called me and informed me it has a number 3 wrist pin issue and needs a new engine.
Do you have any video of the tick?

Terminator03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6 speed
Cold started mine today. It ticks for about 6 seconds then stops. Not saying it’s a problem just curious what causes that sound?? Interesting

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Engine ticking noise caused by Gasoline Direct Injection components

Newer GDI engines have a totally different style of fuel injector and these fuel injectors make an engine ticking noise especially on cold start up.
GDI injectors are mounted so they inject gas directly into the cylinder instead of in the intake manifold. Because the gas is injected during the compression stroke, they operate at a much higher pressure, as high as 2,000-psi.

There are two styles of GDI injectors, solenoid and piezoelectric. Both make a ticking sound, but owners seem to complain more about Piezoelectric injectors. If you do the diagnostics listed below and find the noise is coming from your injectors, you’ll just have to chill out. There’s nothing you can do to eliminate the engine ticking noise if its from your injectors.

GDI engines have two fuel pumps; low pressure and high pressure. The low pressure pump moves gas from the tank to the high pressure pump. The high pressure pump takes gas from the tank and boosts it to 2,000-psi. The high pressure pump runs off a 3-lobe portion of the camshaft. As you might imagine, it takes a lot of energy to generate 2,000-psi. That’s why using the right oil is critical in these applications. If you switch away from the factory recommended oil, you can cause substantial wear to these 3 cam lobes and that will make an engine ticking noise. Even if the cam lobes are in good shape, the high pressure fuel pump makes an engine ticking sound even when it’s in good shape. Again, there’s nothing you can do about this.
Every single online forum for every car or truck thats has GDI has tons of complaints about noisy engines, all the same as what guys are mentioning here on this forum.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hello, I have already made a post about rattling noise and interior trim misalignment, but I made a new one so you guys don't get confused.
Car has 140 miles atm, and I am starting to hear the ticking noise after the engine start up. It sounds very similar to bbq tick, but I am hearing it at idle when the RPM is over 1k. When it drops below 1k after couple mins of idle, it goes away. Is this the bbq tick or something different?
This is probably just the DI fuel system. The bad tick is when it is a random rattle sound. The DI "tick" follows the cylinder stroke (uniform consistent tick). My system does the same thing when you first start it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Every single online forum for every car or truck thats has GDI has tons of complaints about noisy engines, all the same as what guys are mentioning here on this forum.
It all sounds normal to me (except for the engine rattle people are experiencing). Then again, I have worked in the diesel development world for a long time. The metering unit on a 2000+ bar HPFP is louder than any injection tick.
Sponsored