Throttle delay 3-5 seconds.

Fromdabrazyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rommell
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Alright... where to begin. I'm going to try and summarize this as much as I can. I purchased a mustang GT 2017 beginning of October. When i went for a test drive I noticed a delay in acceleration. At first I thought it was some kind of limiter or safety feature so the vehicle does not spin out. After driving it for some time I realized it was not normal and asked that the dealer to resolve this issue. I thought it was going to be just a re-flash or re-program So I still purchased the vehicle. Its been since then and they still haven't been able to resolve the issue. Now let me explain a little more of what is happening. Shifting into first and second gear there is almost no delay. When shifting into gears 3-6 and the clutch is released and i press on the gas to accelerate there is a delay for about 3-5 seconds before i have power. The throttle is probably only at about 15% for those 3-5 seconds. After that it finally opens up. It makes no difference if i am flooring it or not. I am limited to only 15% power output for the duration of the 3-5 second delay. This delay varies it is not always exact. Hopefully someone can help me out because Ford had to call in an engineer and they cant even figure it out. So I'm lost.... If need be i can make a video and send it. I am frustrated and hoping that someone might know what I'm talking about. Thanks guys.

What was done at dealer:

1. ECU re-flash
  2. hydrolic module replace
  3. pcv hose input to intake was missing. installed new part.
  4. ran tests on throttle body, transmission, engine, drive by wire. all came back green.
P.S I'm new to this whole forum thing...
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I put a Soler Performance throttle controller on my car (2019 Bullitt). It works and you can definitely make the throttle as sensitive as you want it to be. It’s reasonably priced and worth trying. Mine came preprogrammed with something like 8 different settings. Installation is also very simple.

https://www.solerengineering.com/ford-motor/se0622-tc

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
A delay of 3-5 seconds tells me there's either an issue with the throttle pedal or a clutch switch.

Since you don't have issues in first or second gear, I'm going to hazard a guess that the clutch switch is faulty, and is sensing it's in the 'depressed' position. From what I understand, the ECU will pull timing while the clutch is depressed to make shifting smoother and reduce wear on the clutch. I imagine that there is a timeout which restores the throttle response after a certain period of time, which is what you're experiencing.

Last edited:

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a Soler Performance throttle controller on my car (2019 Bullitt). It works and you can definitely make the throttle as sensitive as you want it to be. It’s reasonably priced and worth trying. Mine came preprogrammed with something like 8 different settings. Installation is also very simple.

https://www.solerengineering.com/ford-motor/se0622-tc
I would resolve whatever issues are going on with the car before adding a throttle controller. Also, a TC isn't going to help with a 3-5 second acceleration delay.

@Fromdabrazyy, it may be worthwhile to look to see if there is a throttle controller on the vehicle already. Some of them contain a valet mode / limp mode which might explain. I am not familiar with all the various brands, but you'll likely see some custom wires above the gas pedal and/or an extra plug. See the attached photo for the black plug that the Soler TC uses and plugs in right at the top of the gas pedal.

I would definitely take a look above the gas pedal for any custom wiring our plugs, first.

03-Contents.jpg

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A delay of 3-5 seconds tells me there's either an issue with the throttle pedal or a clutch switch.

Since you don't have issues in first or second gear, I'm going to hazard a guess that the clutch switch is stuck in the 'depressed' position. From what I understand, the ECU will pull timing while the clutch is depressed to make shifting smoother and reduce wear on the clutch.
+1 to checking the clutch switch in addition to throttle pedal

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I take it the dealer found no trouble codes?

OP
OP

Fromdabrazyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rommell
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Thanks everyone for the input I'm going to take a look into these and see what I can find. Thanks again!

OP
OP

Fromdabrazyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rommell
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
I would resolve whatever issues are going on with the car before adding a throttle controller. Also, a TC isn't going to help with a 3-5 second acceleration delay.

@Fromdabrazyy, it may be worthwhile to look to see if there is a throttle controller on the vehicle already. Some of them contain a valet mode / limp mode which might explain. I am not familiar with all the various brands, but you'll likely see some custom wires above the gas pedal and/or an extra plug. See the attached photo for the black plug that the Soler TC uses and plugs in right at the top of the gas pedal.

I would definitely take a look above the gas pedal for any custom wiring our plugs, first.

03-Contents.jpg
IMG_5171[276].jpg

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Are you able to data log and see what the car is actually doing in these 3-5 seconds?

I have an issue similar but no quite like yours. A hesitation / stumble / delay but no where like 3-5 seconds. That's pretty extreme. Good luck!

OP
OP

Fromdabrazyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rommell
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hey guys just wanted to give an update.... i swapped out the clutch switch and still same issue. on to the next possibility.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Dayum!! Good luck!
Sponsored